Ram2 - Beer Festival

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A coffee porter - oohhhhhhh   I cannot wait! - I'm on leave from work too!! - result!!!   I didn't go last year, I remember getting on the bus, getting off at the hall, getting chips later on, the

BEER LIST!   Cue drum roll - here it is you lucky people:   Abbeydale Absolution, Amber Ales Chocolate Orange Stout, Amber Ales Barnes Wallis IPA, Batemans Dark Mild, Batemans XXXB, Black Iris Bit

P.K. + Albert + real ale.   Sounds like a recipe for the plotting of the overthrow of the Isle of Man government

For anyone interested I've been geeking it up and made a spreadsheet showing each beers rating from www.ratebeer.com to give an idea for which ones to look out for:

http://www.unibytes.com/2dUfNW4c43wLqw-Us4P3UgBB?drgn=1

Obviously these ratings are subjective so make of them what you will.

edit: persec

Edited by Scotteo

Yes, the coffee porter disappointed my a little bit as well. The orange flavoured beer (no 2?) made up for it. Plenty of others to go at as well, although may not have the stronger ones again though this afternoon.

I enjoyed the chille sausage bap. Maybe the hot food should be outside in the tent?

It seemed a very good do. Some beers were very good some were, in my opinion, pish. I ended up on the local beer and felt safe in my choice. Unadventurous but that's me.

Staff, ie CAMRA folk etc were excellent. Apart from the big CAMARA guy stood with a group at the door who decided to bark at someone who happened to be standing outside in the car park with a glass. The guy he needlessly barked out was an Isle of Man Newspapers reporter so I hope this is somehow related in the press. (maybe the big guy was a teacher and a bit pissed. Teachers often carry their condescending and patronising persona into 'real life')

Bouncers. OK I'll call them 'security'. I appreciate that where there is a large group of people, bouncers may be needed by the laws of our at times ridiculous society. But this was a Real Ale Festival. There was no requirement for the shaven headed bloke to do his usual stock in trade of staring at people who he thought needed reminding that he was there, in charge. That might be a tactic useful in Jaks or Jimmy B's Night Club or whatever. But this was a Beer Festival. Yes, yes, we know you are big and tough and can make the evening shit for anybody who you don't like the look of. But this is a Beer Festival. Oh, I already said that.

Great to have the live music.

An excellent venue for the event.

Thanks to all who organised it and we look forward to 2014.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think next year they might actually get the quantities right? Arrived 7pm on the Saturday over half the beers had run out but still charged full price. We were not alone in that observation. Not sure we would pay again ermm.gif

I think the quantities must have been about right then. You arrive three and a half hours before the end of a three day festival and just over half of the beers have sold out.

30 beers to sample before the end of the night, did you do it?

• Like 1

Went to the beer festival at the Falcon's Nest yesterday. It was so much better than the CAMRA one. For lots of reasons. Better venue, you get a clean glass with each drink, free to get in, all beer the same price (£2.50 per pint!), no queue to get in and not stinking of horse shit hotpot, It was great.

Do you think next year they might actually get the quantities right? Arrived 7pm on the Saturday over half the beers had run out but still charged full price. We were not alone in that observation. Not sure we would pay again ermm.gif

Sounds like they got it just right then. I wouldn't expect the full range of beers available 2 days and 5 hours after the festival opened and 4 hours before it ended.

• 11 months later...

The EXCELLENT Falcons Nest beer festival was on again today, pretty sure there was a more up to date thread than this but I think I may start a new one