Cuts - Where To Swing The Axe Next?

Personally i think health and education are the two places that must be free from the axe, just do what every struggling business does and cut the labour force, unpopular i know but we have to be realistic.

If you have a big mortgage and suck from the govt teet i would be worried right now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fully expect hypocrisy in politicians. I just wish it were coupled with a tiny sliver of intelligence.   Honestly, look at the people we have voted in to represent us. They are led by a man whos

I'm not the poster you replied to, but I get it: the trouble is that the MHKs who defend their own remuneration so staunchly then have no moral authority to impose austerity measures on other people.

Why are you having to wait until the next election? How many elections have passed where the population has asked "why are we wasting so much on the wrong things?" and yet the same faces get voted in

I fully expect hypocrisy in politicians. I just wish it were coupled with a tiny sliver of intelligence.

Honestly, look at the people we have voted in to represent us. They are led by a man whose partner has apparently been found wandering round trouserless and pissed out of his mind, and whose real life experience consists of selling jeans. Next in line is a man who "knows numbers" but was a lowly bank clerk whose boss promoted him so that he would do better out of the final salary pension. Our economic development is in the hands of a former PE teacher - when did he ever have any responsibility for a bottom line? - and our home affairs are in the hands of a man who puked on a bus within a day of making a preachy moderation speech at Christmas. Kirk Michael is represented by someone whose surname means that most of their brain-dead voters though they were voting for the incumbent, while in Ramsey they voted in some "new blood" consisting of a chemist in his 70s.

The island is fucked - FUCKED - unless it gets some decent representatives in.

I sincerely believe that within the next 10 years or so, this island will not be "governing" itself, as we know it. Tynwald will be sunk under the mountain of debt that it has created and can no longer afford (not that it ever could) finance. UK will step in under the guise of "good governance" and ridding itself of an embarrassing "tax haven" in the eyes (and under pressure from) the EU. What will be left is anybody's guess, a small self financing farming community and a few local industries maybe. Another Hebrides maybe....?

We should definitely cut their salaries. If they don't like it, they can go and start up their own healthcare or teaching businesses and compete in our supposedly free market.

Eh? You sound like a patient who needs their medication dose adjusting....Do you honestly think that idea is a starter or is it supposed to be amusing? It's hard enough recruiting some professions now. If they stay too long we seize their pension and then refuse transfer it back if they leave. Even if it's eventually paid out, there's no non resident allowance any more so the recipients could be taxed twice depending where they retire to. Your idea is very simplistic thinking.

• Like 1

What you will then see is a mass exodus of the most qualified and skilled.

The Isle of Man isn't exactly overflowing with "the most qualified and skilled" teachers and medical professionals.

What you will then see is a mass exodus of the most qualified and skilled.

The Isle of Man isn't exactly overflowing with "the most qualified and skilled" teachers and medical professionals.

Lets hope you don't get the least qualified or skilled doctor next time you're in the hospital then....

• Like 1
We should definitely cut their salaries. If they don't like it, they can go and start up their own healthcare or teaching businesses and compete in our supposedly free market.

Eh? You sound like a patient who needs their medication dose adjusting....Do you honestly think that idea is a starter or is it supposed to be amusing? It's hard enough recruiting some professions now. If they stay too long we seize their pension and then refuse transfer it back if they leave. Even if it's eventually paid out, there's no non resident allowance any more so the recipients could be taxed twice depending where they retire to. Your idea is very simplistic thinking.

Oh, no, it's just that I was told by a member of our government that the Isle of Man operates a "free market economy".

Thank you for proving her wrong.

I fully expect hypocrisy in politicians. I just wish it were coupled with a tiny sliver of intelligence.

Honestly, look at the people we have voted in to represent us. They are led by a man whose partner has apparently been found wandering round trouserless and pissed out of his mind, and whose real life experience consists of selling jeans. Next in line is a man who "knows numbers" but was a lowly bank clerk whose boss promoted him so that he would do better out of the final salary pension. Our economic development is in the hands of a former PE teacher - when did he ever have any responsibility for a bottom line? - and our home affairs are in the hands of a man who puked on a bus within a day of making a preachy moderation speech at Christmas. Kirk Michael is represented by someone whose surname means that most of their brain-dead voters though they were voting for the incumbent, while in Ramsey they voted in some "new blood" consisting of a chemist in his 70s.

The island is fucked - FUCKED - unless it gets some decent representatives in.

I sincerely believe that within the next 10 years or so, this island will not be "governing" itself, as we know it. Tynwald will be sunk under the mountain of debt that it has created and can no longer afford (not that it ever could) finance. UK will step in under the guise of "good governance" and ridding itself of an embarrassing "tax haven" in the eyes (and under pressure from) the EU. What will be left is anybody's guess, a small self financing farming community and a few local industries maybe. Another Hebrides maybe....?

sounds absolutely idyllic

Sorry Dave, not sure about the cut off time but I think you have to be here a few months before they look into transferring it in the first place in case you decide fantasy island isn't for you after a fortnight.

JFK - just imagine the advert for a Hospital Consultant in the BMJ. After all the job spec they could say great quality of life with good weather, pension locked here forever and maybe never payable, ever reducing public services, no nursery education, huge cost of travelling but best of all UK pay rates less x% for all these benefits but, hey, don't ever forget the low tax.....

How many applicants would we really get?

Tell you where I'd save big money starting on Monday morning. I've been to two gov offices in the past few days and the heat was stifling with staff wandering about dressed like it was July. I'm not saying it should be like my house where we wear woolly hats and body warmers until we light the woodburner in the evening and no doubt there's an act specifying a minimum temperature but the total cost of heating must be immense.

Go on...... turn that stat down, you know it makes sense!

• Like 2

Tell you where I'd save big money starting on Monday morning. I've been to two gov offices in the past few days and the heat was stifling with staff wandering about dressed like it was July. I'm not saying it should be like my house where we wear woolly hats and body warmers until we light the woodburner in the evening and no doubt there's an act specifying a minimum temperature but the total cost of heating must be immense.

Go on...... turn that stat down, you know it makes sense!

I think they have done that in the hospital in non-clinical areas. It's bloody freezing in there some days.

JFK - just imagine the advert for a Hospital Consultant in the BMJ. After all the job spec they could say great quality of life with good weather, pension locked here forever and maybe never payable, ever reducing public services, no nursery education, huge cost of travelling but best of all UK pay rates less x% for all these benefits but, hey, don't ever forget the low tax.....

I really don't care. The NHS has never done jack shit to help me, despite living in constant 24/7 pain for over TEN YEARS of my life. All they've ever done is send me from one section of the hospital to another and back again (with years of being on waiting lists in between visits) like a yoyo. They're useless b-stards.

February's budget cut some £35 million from several Government departments and IMO, rightly aim to prune things back further.

One area that I have no information on is whether the MHK's and MLC's are cutting their own personal cloth to save the tax payer money?

Furthermore, with the new political boundaries unveiled, will there be more expense claims as MHK's pop out for the day?

Basically, I'm saying that other departments are having to make cut backs, yet does the political gravy train make any savings themselves and can't they reduce their numbers as they expect others to do?

You just dont get it do you? Tynwald salaries and expenses are about 2% of the horrific £500m public sector gravy train.

err, I actually do get it and this is one of many areas which needs to be looked at.

So do you think this area needs looking at or should it be overlooked?

I really don't care. The NHS has never done jack shit to help me, despite living in constant 24/7 pain for over TEN YEARS of my life. All they've ever done is send me from one section of the hospital to another and back again (with years of being on waiting lists in between visits) like a yoyo. They're useless b-stards.

In your opinion. When I was in a car accident in 2011, I found the care and attention I received at Nobles to be excellent. My wife has a degenerative bone disease in her wrist and the care she has recieved is top notch.