Snow Warning

If they were competently managed, they'd have had the roads gritted during the night and we wouldn't have all these closed roads. What are we paying these managers for if they can't even figure that out? Yet again and again, after millions of years of snow storms, they're still caught off guard every time. All I can say is thank fck we don't get earthquakes and have to rely on these inept civil servants to do the emergency planning. They couldn't run a tap.

I imagine that the boys trying to keep the Highways open will now be every-ones hero's. Oh how hypocritical after the foul-mouthed abuse they have taken on these sites over the years. Never mind , as long as you can get into your centrally-heated offices and your highly paid careers all will be well. Try to treat them with with a bit of respect when all is well again. I wish all those trying to make life better for us in these cnditions, our thanks, and keep safe

I lot of the blame has to lie at the feet of the local Met Office. On Monday all long range UK weather forecasts I monitor were giving a significant risk of snow on Friday. On Wednesday evening the local forecast on the internet were STILL giving temperatures of 6 degrees into Sunday with rain but snow on the very highest tops.

They fail on two levels. Firstly, they give the forecast for Ronaldsway, and dont seem to appreciate that a large percentage of the Islands roads are more than 30 feet above sea level and more than 500 yards from the sea, as is the majority of housing. The south of the Island, like the northern plain escapes the worst of the any snow the majority of the time. Unfortunately there is a big bit inbetween which is very hilly, where the majority of people live, work and travel through.

Secondly, some of the forecasters are guilty of giving an over optomistic forecast. It is as though they want to cheer us up, or not upset us with the details of a bad forecast. Does the expression 'on the hills' exclude Foxdale, St Marks, Ballachrink. Or is this expression used so as not to upset people who live in these areas.

PLEASE Mr. Weatherman, tell the forecast as it is, for those who dont live at sea level, for those that live up Ballachrink, in Anagh Coar. Tell the Government Departments there is going to be frost, ice. It is not a popularity contest.

Just listened to John Gill [Education] saying all buses talking 'Students' home at 1pm. His comment as to why they went in the first place when the for-cast was for ever increasing snow etc was that it could effect the 'ECONOMY' I find this an unbelievable comment. We have to now assume that the 'ECONOMY' is more important than children's safety . Whoever makes these sort of decisions should be made Public. Then the rest of us can decide what to do with them. This defies belief, has money really become that important on my lovely old Island. If so I am ashamed of it.

• Like 3
  • Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A highways agency warning said anyone travelling in icy conditions should take a shovel, blankets, sleeping bag, extra clothing, including a scarf, hat, gloves, 24 hour supply of food and drink, de-ic

In the year of the Big Snow an ol' Manxie the name of "Walla" Quirk lived in a tholtan at the top of Glen Roy He hadn't been seen down the village for over a week so an expedition was sent out with s

Well get your arse out to kirk michael and find out how bad it is.   There is no where to shovel the stuff its that deep.   And as for planning, the weather forcast didnt even say snow, they said

Posted Images

I wish the bendy bus trial had not ended last week. This would have been epic. Not that I want to see kids hurt but them (the buses) coming back down the Richmond would be news worthy.

I wish the bendy bus trial had not ended last week. This would have been epic. Not that I want to see kids hurt but them (the buses) coming back down the Richmond would be news worthy.

Thanks to the buses for forcing the kids to walk home in the pissing rain. Is it really that bad? There's plenty of other traffic on the road, why can't the busses operate?

Just listened to John Gill [Education] saying all buses talking 'Students' home at 1pm. His comment as to why they went in the first place when the for-cast was for ever increasing snow etc was that it could effect the 'ECONOMY' I find this an unbelievable comment. We have to now assume that the 'ECONOMY' is more important than children's safety . Whoever makes these sort of decisions should be made Public. Then the rest of us can decide what to do with them. This defies belief, has money really become that important on my lovely old Island. If so I am ashamed of it.

I agree that his statement was stupid.

All he had to say was the decision was marginal and that if they had closed the schools and the snow had not come until later they would have had as many complaints when they do not close and the snow arrives.

I agree with their decision as this morning it was fine for most kids to go to school.

As for those who slagged off the weather forecasters from memory they were saying snow above 200 or 300 feet this morning with sleet or rain below that. With snow level lowering in the afternoon and evening from the west.

That seems pretty accurate to me as it was only about 12:00 it started to snow rather than sleet in Douglas and it must be pretty difficult to judge the if it will fall as snow or rain when you are close to the the margin.

I agree that his statement was stupid.

All he had to say was the decision was marginal and that if they had closed the schools and the snow had not come until later they would have had as many complaints when they do not close and the snow arrives.

I agree with their decision as this morning it was fine for most kids to go to school.

As for those who slagged off the weather forecasters from memory they were saying snow above 200 or 300 feet this morning with sleet or rain below that. With snow level lowering in the afternoon and evening from the west.

That seems pretty accurate to me as it was only about 12:00 it started to snow rather than sleet in Douglas and it must be pretty difficult to judge the if it will fall as snow or rain when you are close to the the margin.

Errm. It started snowing during the night here and hasn't stopped since. As well as blowing a hoolie and a couple of telegraph poles down cutting of the electricity we are ok thank you. ...............Oh, by the way we are at near enough sea level between St judes and Ballaugh..................I'd suggest 'they' did get it wrong.

Thanks to the buses for forcing the kids to walk home in the pissing rain. Is it really that bad? There's plenty of other traffic on the road, why can't the busses operate?

We need less traffic on the roads, people should walk and cycle to work, right Slim? wink.png

• Like 1