Isle Of Man Steam Racket ......at It Again

The Last Bulgam Miner

I have just taken advantage of the Steam Packets Offer of 50% off and booked a sailing to Heysham in November for a car and 2 adults. This is a trip I take regulaly at this time of the year so I was surprised when my 50% off price was only about £30 less than last years sailing price of £240.

After comparing the details of the sailings I found the reason. Surprise, surprise, their return ticket for a car plus 2 people has become a return ticket for a car and 1 PERSON !!!!.

I havent bothered yet to check to see if this is the same throughout the year , but it appears this is a fare rise by stealth. BUYER BEWARE.!!!!!!

standard fares have only ever included car and driver, everyone esle is charged on top, including dogs taken into passenger areas. The specials are different and may include driver, passenger and kids, but not dogs, depending on the offer

You are just not comparing like with like.

Was there a special fare on offer as well as 50% off standard? If not there probably will be nearer the time.

50% off standard is an advertising ploy to catch the unwary by making them think they have a bargain. You got caught. Steam Packet have improved cash flow with a higher fare than a real special and the benefit of your funds for 10 months

I've got me and the car for £124 for a week in early March - when I first priced it, before the offer, it was quoting me about £250 for same deal so well pleased with that. We've also booked two and car for the last week in April - £216. The usual offer we'd have used would be the anytime return which was coming up at £269 so still cheaper, if not the half price that I thought it would be!! Every little helps, and all that! Still think they're rip-off merchants though, it'll take more than a January sale to change my opinion of them :)

£36 return foot, quite reasonable IMO

think people forget that 36 quid now is not worth 36 quid 6 years ago. although we still value it the same. I have customers, one for the last 15 years have give me a fiver tip, great gesture and much appreciated but money just aint worth what it was years ago.

Edited by molly

Oh, come on - your previous fare was for a car and two people - this one is for a car and one person.

That's 50% off, isn't it? ermm.gif

P.S. Thanks for referring to it as the 'Racket.' That completes one of my New Year predictions perfectly.

Edited by Lonan3
  • Like 1

I wonder what a standard foot passenger fare, a car + 2 fare and freight rates would be if we were simply paying for the operation of the company and towards fleet renewal rather than for all of the money that the various owners, speculators and assorted shysters have walked away with in the past 20 years plus interest.

• Like 4