Tt 2013

manxie44

My main concern would be for potential drink driving, it would be far better if there was camping too. Reasonable walking distance to any major conurbation would be a better option. Somewhere comparable to where the Douglas Head scramble used to be held, or it's Ramsey/Peel equivalent perhaps.

Though by then we might have 100 pissed up visitors and locals at a time getting shipped around on bendy buses at midnight, singing..."there was 100 pissed up bikers, standing on a bus...and if one pissed up biker should accidently fall..."

Is there not a potential 'drink-driving' problem with the existing facilities at the Creg. One of the Grandstands is now provided by the TT Organisers , is it not ? Not all Bikers get plastered every time they get off their bike. That problem is much more likely to come from 'Locals' So lets not put a damper on it before we know what their plans really are. I think it's a great idea. Let those who enjoy the type of entertainment Douglas supplies go there. What the rest of us, and the 'Bikers' need are some alternatives

Like Douglas is the be all and end all, why the hell has all the good stuff got to be there, we all finance it so let's have the opportunity to spread the benefits

Good grief, who is arguing? The only thing the Tourism Dept pay for is the tiresome prom entertainment, everything else is done by individuals or local authorities with their own money, e.g. Bushy's and the Grandstand beer tents.

It's just a fact that when people are dispersed it lessens the atmosphere. All the good stuff isn't in Douglas, it just happens that the start is in Douglas and as most people stay around the largest town there is a bit more going on there?

Ramsey has the sprint, Castletown has the Pre TT Classic and the TT trial, Peel used to have Honda day. There has to be a centre of some sort and it's not as if the island is exactly huge and transport non existent?

If you can think of something to attract people to Andreas or Port St Mary then why not have a go?

You may want to look up 'Port Erin Day' , 'Vintage Machinery Day' [Mad Sunday] in Port St Mary, plus live Bands every night at the 'Bay' [bushys] Port Erin. The 'Pre TT Classic Races' at Castletown, The 'Post TT Races' at Castletown. There are alternatives to Douglas in TT Week

If you can think of something to attract people to Andreas...

Even the RAF stopped using the bombing range years ago smile.png

When was the bombing range ever in, or even near Andreas?

It was off Ballaugh Beach and the F1-11's were USAF.

I was lucky as a kid to get an invite to their airbase in Oxfordshire and have a sit in the navigators seat of one (after they had covered up some of the instruments - top secret apparently at the time)

There may have been RAF at Andreas airport?

Is there not a potential 'drink-driving' problem with the existing facilities at the Creg. One of the Grandstands is now provided by the TT Organisers , is it not ? Not all Bikers get plastered every time they get off their bike. That problem is much more likely to come from 'Locals' So lets not put a damper on it before we know what their plans really are. I think it's a great idea. Let those who enjoy the type of entertainment Douglas supplies go there. What the rest of us, and the 'Bikers' need are some alternatives

Most bikers don't drink in the daytime, it's the evening usually when bikes are usually left at home/base, and they all head to the entertainment centre. Provided there are sufficient transport links up then it should not be an issue.

Having marshalled up that way over the years, lots of hoolies blow up there, so I'd wrap up well even on a manx summer evening.

If I was organising it, I'd be trying a long weekend (four day) event for the first year to minimise costs and maximise first profits. Pack em in for that and it can lower entry costs, and if it takes off, maybe expand next year. TT only really gets a worthwhile number of visitors for TT type businesses Wednesday/Thursday practice week to Tuesday/Wednesday race week IME.

But I do support additional TT things, as I mentioned previously I do miss the old traditional Douglas Head Scramble for one. But 30,000 visitors can't all be in different places at once, and many will only go once or maybe twice to something. It's an expensive enough trip to make before spends.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that the taxi companies who run mini-buses will provide a service - just as they have done for all the major camp-sites during the last few years. I think Glen Lough to Bushy's was something like £3 per head, which isn't bad.

If you can think of something to attract people to Andreas...

Even the RAF stopped using the bombing range years ago smile.png

When was the bombing range ever in, or even near Andreas?

It was off Ballaugh Beach and the F1-11's were USAF.

I was lucky as a kid to get an invite to their airbase in Oxfordshire and have a sit in the navigators seat of one (after they had covered up some of the instruments - top secret apparently at the time)

There may have been RAF at Andreas airport?

I remember as a kid looking out from the bedroom window and watching all the flashes in the sky from the bombing practice.

I just could not see a connection with Andreas. I've just Googled the airfield and discovered masses of info on the place. A very interesting read.

Manx Radio story:

An ambitious festival lined up for TT week this year has had to be postponed.

Motor Fest was due to take place during Race Week on fields just south of Creg ny Baa, and would have featured a week of live music, stunt shows and vintage bikes and memorabilia.

But organisers say the event will now take place next year.

In a statement, they say the 2014 festival will be bigger and better than the one planned for June.

The Motor Fest team say issues had been raised by authorities who wanted more details about the plans.

But with so little time left before the start of this year’s TT, they’ve had to put the plans back while they make more arrangements.

Earlier this week, the event was discussed by Onchan Commissioners – and an alcohol licence and planning application are still outstanding.

Organisers say next year’s event will be a fantastic success and will make the TT experience better for race fans.

Most bikers don't drink in the daytime, it's the evening usually when bikes are usually left at home/base, and they all head to the entertainment centre. Provided there are sufficient transport links up then it should not be an issue.

Having marshalled up that way over the years, lots of hoolies blow up there, so I'd wrap up well even on a manx summer evening.

If I was organising it, I'd be trying a long weekend (four day) event for the first year to minimise costs and maximise first profits. Pack em in for that and it can lower entry costs, and if it takes off, maybe expand next year. TT only really gets a worthwhile number of visitors for TT type businesses Wednesday/Thursday practice week to Tuesday/Wednesday race week IME.

But I do support additional TT things, as I mentioned previously I do miss the old traditional Douglas Head Scramble for one. But 30,000 visitors can't all be in different places at once, and many will only go once or maybe twice to something. It's an expensive enough trip to make before spends.

Back in the mid 70's I remember watching Vic Allan riding a thunderous sounding CCM up there in TT week.

Also other big names like Roger De Coster and Vic Eastwood,all good stuff.

Back in the mid 70's I remember watching Vic Allan riding a thunderous sounding CCM up there in TT week.

Also other big names like Roger De Coster and Vic Eastwood,all good stuff.

I went a couple of times in the late 70s before T&MX News became my favourite read so I did not realise who the "names" were.

I had no idea that Roger De Coster raced here, it must have been a pretty big event to pull in the likes of him?

The following was the official announcement from the Motofest team this morning:

The Motofest team are sorry to announce that the planned event for the 2013 TT will be postponed until 2014. This is purely due to issues raised by authorities concerned who require more "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted. This is something which requires more time and being February, time is a luxury we simply do not have. We would like to thank all those involved for their amazing support and for believing in our dream which we know will be a fantastic success and will make the TT experience better for those who really matter...THE FANS! We will continue to work on organising the event for next year which will be bigger and better than originally planned. The Motofest team are certain that under the Government's mantra 'Freedom to Fourish' we will be able to provide a fantastic festival for 2014 and beyond.

I hope that explains it a bit better than the edited version MR put out there. We'll be back!