After the battle of the Alma 1854 during the Crimean War the Manx soldiers swore a pact that henceforth their firstborn sons would be named Alma. (The female name Alma stemmed from the same battle).

It was also a pact that thereafter the male descendants of their firstborn sons would be named Alma.

Anyone know any male Manx ....Almas?

There was/is an Inkerman Faragher and the battle of Inkerman was also part of the Crimean War.

Maybe the tradition varied a little?

After the battle of the Alma 1854 during the Crimean War the Manx soldiers swore a pact that henceforth their firstborn sons would be named Alma. (The female name Alma stemmed from the same battle).

It was also a pact that thereafter the male descendants of their firstborn sons would be named Alma.

There was/is an Inkerman Faragher and the battle of Inkerman was also part of the Crimean War.

If I was a Manx wife, and my husband came back from the Crimean War and told me I had to call my son Alma, I'd tell him to sling his hook.

I know a girl who was going to name her child 'Labelia' until she was spoken to by about 40 of her mates. He woiuld have had a horrible school experience.

Sorry messed that up.

Well known Douglas accountant C. A. K. Dougherty has this name

• Like 1