"ill Informed Forums Should Be Shut Down" In Tynwald

Ladbrokes have suspended betting on the Manx Political Pillock of 2013 Award even though we are not yet out of February.

A spoikesman says only one of Eddies little gems re Pinewood or responses to criticism of his Budget can save them from a massive payout.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is precisely those people on here that have gained experience from elsewhere, seen, lived and worked in many other places, and brought that experience back, that are looking at things taking an out

And pig ignorant, barely educated fools whose meagre talents and skills barely extend further than being able to stay awake whilst casually nodding through legislation and proposals regarding issues t

A nice line I saw elsewhere a couple of days ago: 'politicians need to be reminded that we elect them to represent us, not govern us'. And therein lies the rub. On the doorstep they talk about how the

Posted Images

Do you recall the story of the dog who played chess? It wasn't because he played particularly well that made it seem remarkable - just the fact tha he played at all.

So, with Mr Corkish. It is not a matter of whether he spoke well - so much as the simple fact that he finally had something to say!

(It was just a shame that he was ill-informed).

It would, of course, be ill-advised for me to suggest that he is jostling for position in the ultimate boy's club and that, in some kind of simplistic way, this attack on free speech was designed to garner support from the puppet masters in that respect - so I won't say that.

Nor would I even contemplate suggesting that he's the most non-participating member of Tynwald since a certain South Douglas member made a point of only speaking once in every five years (and that on the subject of Marine Drive)

I would like to say that his profile on the Tynwald website reveals a man who has many qualifications for the posts that he holds in government - but I'm not quite that ill-informed.

Ultimately, I would have to say that he's already proven himself in that capacity - to be a lightweight nonentity even when compared to some of the nodding dogs who surround him.

• Like 1

I see our old friend mulokin has posted on the IOM newspapers article to say that MF can't be trusted either and alleges that some threads/comments about politicians and senior civil servants "disappeared" from here!

Juan's thread has been going since December 2011 and has just over 115,000 hits.

Geoffy's thread isn't 2 days old yet and has over 13,000 views. That is pretty good going.

As John Lennon might (or might not) deduce, Geoff is more popular than Jesus. And Juan.

• Like 1

as I see it, it's all about public scrutiny, our representatives who are only in their positions by the grace of the (uninformed) electorate should remember that fact, they can soon be turfed onto oblivion at the next opportunity, especially as some develop a distinct arrogant streak once they are in their lofty positions yet others manage to keep a sense of reality !

Politicians are itinerants, they come, they go, some leave their mark and others just leave having kept the seat warm and achieved little :(

if MF were not here, I am sure another forum would soon pop up on either Yahoo or google groups which may be harder for them to have any influence over !

(........ gotta keep the thread going, it's dropping down the list a bit :lol: )

Regards

Anon of IoM

/dark veil mode :

I bet £4.45 (the price of a shag and a bag of chips in some parts of town) there will be no mention of it in the local press.

You still know how to pull the blokes....

They chips are expensive in that part of town! £4.45!!

Tax planning - tax avoidance - tax evasion - tax dodging, whatever you call it still amounts to not paying as much tax as HMRC would like you to pay and that is the way everyone except a tax planner sees it.

That just isn't the case. If you buy a suit in the sale, you pay less VAT. Is that tax evasion? I think you can be competitive with financial services without breaking international law. Not as easy as hiding the money, but it's a more sustainable approach. What other choice is there, carry on being branded a tax haven?

Isn't it nice that we can discuss these subjects on the interweb without fear of being silenced :)

• Like 1

Tax planning - tax avoidance - tax evasion - tax dodging, whatever you call it still amounts to not paying as much tax as HMRC would like you to pay and that is the way everyone except a tax planner sees it.

That just isn't the case. If you buy a suit in the sale, you pay less VAT. Is that tax evasion? I think you can be competitive with financial services without breaking international law. Not as easy as hiding the money, but it's a more sustainable approach. What other choice is there, carry on being branded a tax haven?

Isn't it nice that we can discuss these subjects on the interweb without fear of being silenced smile.png

I was pointing out how we are percieved by the rest of the world, you can whine on till the cows come home about how above board we are and what financial information share schemes we have signed, but it won't make any difference.

We are seen as a tax haven and Alan Bell going on 5 Live only re-inforced that veiw

We are seen as a tax haven and Alan Bell going on 5 Live only re-inforced that veiw

Explain that one to me? You complained he was accepting that transparency was the future, how does that reinforce a tax haven view?

I was very sorry to hear the outburst by Geoff Corkish on the subject of internet forums. As an MHK one would expect him to have thicker skin.

On another island I expect such a comment by a politician might lead to a position where the individual might face peer censure and public condemnation.

As Salman Rushdie said: “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.”

Sadly, it's clear that the view of Mr Corkish on freedom of speech is well described by the late Winston Churchill when he said:

“Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.”

• Like 3