Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
woolley

"ill Informed Forums Should Be Shut Down" In Tynwald

I heard it on the radio this afternoon and I nearly crashed my car, who do these people think they are to come out with stuff like that? Can you imagine Cameron saying something similar in Parliament?

He would not get whoops of approval there, he would be out of No.10 before the day was out. The whole speech was pretty dire including the cringe inducing, very false way of delivery.

True enough, and the difference isn't solely due to a matter of political savvy.

A parliament is supposed to be a deliberative chamber representing a diversity of public views and acts as the ultimate embodiment of nation and the democratic process at work (with varying degrees of success to be sure, but that's the principle), deriving its legitimacy ultimately from the consent of the populace.

In such a setting, it would be pretty spectacular if an elected member were to suggest that a legitimate avenue of public expression be shut down.

However, Tynwald doesn't quite work like that. It should, but it doesn't. Instead, it behaves like a glorified parish council, functioning largely as a whole with little distinguishing between the government and the Keys and forming what amounts to a clique stuffed in no small part with small, unimaginative men who seem to regard their position as elevating them above the rest of the populace.

Many of those in such a body are always going to be hostile to external criticism precisely because it threatens to puncture the belief that sitting in our joke shop parliament validates their feeble delusions of grandeur. Such people regard themselves less as being elected to represent their constituency and the interests of the Island, and more as having been singled out and chosen to wield the authority and power they've always assumed they deserve; they are the ultimate incarnation and, ironically, refutation of the self serving belief that 'the cream always rises to the top'.

In this instance it's telling that Corkish decided to describe the forums as 'ill informed' because it suggests that he regards himself and his colleagues as 'well informed', but in what sense can he be considered well informed? For instance, how much does Corkish actually know about education policy? or health? or economics? My guess is absolutely nothing, and yet he still votes on such matters and exerts a real influence on the course of the Island's future with what probably amounts to little more than a cursory briefing on the topic in question and a handful of assurances from a Minister informing his decision. The only way the ire he's directed at the forums can be reconciled with this is if he (probably along with more than a few other MHKs) think being 'well informed' follows merely by virtue of his position.

Of course, none of this comes as much of a surprise. More surprising is that it came from an MHK whose presence in Tynwald is such that he could be replaced by stuffing some tumbleweed in his seat and giving Allan Bell an extra vote, with few if any members of the public noticing if he were.

By lashing out, and with such touching loyalty too, against those who criticise the government, is Corkish perhaps angling for a new position? After all, his gesture is more than a little reminiscent of Bell's own 'enemy within' schtick.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 7

The Isle of Man government is one of the most corrupt governments in the western world! How are they, or better still would they want to assist in the intellectual investment of our younger generation.

Playing devil's advocate, I think it's that sort of comment that he's on about. Just thrown out with nothing particular to stand it up and no context. If you were saying "this lot are corrupt because they are all on the take and doing cosy deals behind closed doors" AND HAD THE EVIDENCE to support that then fine but just saying we have a corrupt government without any evidence does not make it true no matter how many times it is repeated and it must be wearing to anyone in government who is simply doing their best and I think there are many in that category.

However, back to the comment that prompted the thread, this was definitely not said in jest. He meant it! I was so shocked that I thought at first I had misheard him. It is a terrible comment from an elected representative and deserves the utmost censure. I am pleased that it has now been confirmed by others and by Manx Radio - good for them considering the threats hanging over them at the moment.

If they didn't have this air of secrecy about the way things are done then this really wouldn't be an issue. There's still no FOI act and when someone does answer a question in Tynwald the latest answer is "I can't answer that because it's commercially sensitive information". To be brutally honest they do themselves absolutely no favours at all to dispel any notion of in-house corruption and dodgy behind the scene dealings....

• Like 3

If it's ill informed comments Mr Corkish is worried about, what's stopping him posting the truth about what comments he's referring to on here! Or would that be too simple!

No comment.

smithy_rugby_ball_470x350.jpg

He's taken his eye off the ball again!!

And if that's not a 'familiar' handshake i don't know what is!

Though not on the square myself, i always make point of using the 'entered grip'. Surprises some people, comforts others.

• Like 3

The Isle of Man government is one of the most corrupt governments in the western world! How are they, or better still would they want to assist in the intellectual investment of our younger generation.

Playing devil's advocate, I think it's that sort of comment that he's on about. Just thrown out with nothing particular to stand it up and no context. If you were saying "this lot are corrupt because they are all on the take and doing cosy deals behind closed doors" AND HAD THE EVIDENCE to support that then fine but just saying we have a corrupt government without any evidence does not make it true no matter how many times it is repeated and it must be wearing to anyone in government who is simply doing their best and I think there are many in that category.

However, back to the comment that prompted the thread, this was definitely not said in jest. He meant it! I was so shocked that I thought at first I had misheard him. It is a terrible comment from an elected representative and deserves the utmost censure. I am pleased that it has now been confirmed by others and by Manx Radio - good for them considering the threats hanging over them at the moment.

Agreed. I'd imagine lawyers will be looking closely at peoples posts to do anything to trip up forums like this.

Next on Geoff's agenda: close down facebook, where people discuss much the same, interspersed with pictures of their dinner, cats, nails, baby etc.

https://www.facebook...548478651833386

And this one (though I wonder why some posts have been deleted - has the censorship started already?)!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/301230096632067/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hello everyone,

I figure I should join the fracas before the forum gets shut down :)

Greetings. What's on your mind?

Good evening. Since you asked; why is it still so cold, how many more days will it be before I get to move to the island and will a seagull explode if fed an antacid?

One hundred not out, wow, Geoff is getting more attention than he has had since he tried to stop the music at the anti- cancer ceremony, we had better take care he may get used to it and start making more off the cuff remarks in Tynwald, he may get completely carried away, .....now that is a thought....

LOL! So if they do shut Manx Forums, like they did with what ever the old forum was called....what will they do about Twitter? As has already been displayed, the man is getting lots of tweets in his general direction. There'll be no more granny farming of this bee, I still cannot believe I did it....stupid stupid woman. Whatever, anyway, lets move MF to the dark net, do they even have a clue about the vastness of the internet? stupid stupid people.

Oh and welcome to MF MikeW :)

Greetings. What's on your mind?

Good evening. Since you asked; why is it still so cold, how many more days will it be before I get to move to the island and will a seagull explode if fed an antacid?

Hmm, your questions are somewhat off-topic. I think you'll fit right in here....

I would be what is classed as a "lurker" I never really feel the need to post, but this has really wound me up, how dare he say that this is ill informed, well Mr Corkish, I hope you are "lurking" Since reading some of the topics on here I have never been more informed or interested in what is going on in Tynwald. People like VinnieK very kindly take the time to link to news stories, and sift through all the waffle and bullshit in Hansard to point out the important and what I consider to be the relevant bits of information. I can be a bit thick sometimes, and the posts on here spell it out in black and white, maybe that is the problem, can not have us thick shits understanding. To the other MHK's lurking, you lot were all over this forum like a rash at election time, it was nice to see you on here and made me more interested in how I used my vote, If any of you were the ones who uttered the words hear hear, then shame on you, and I hope this comes back to bite you.

• Like 8