Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
woolley

"ill Informed Forums Should Be Shut Down" In Tynwald

Out of curiosity, what would the public reaction be to the closure of internet forums on the Isle of Man do you think?

I'd start a forum to discuss it

• Like 1

Now on Manx Radio. Apparently he does not read the forums, so basically he is critisising something he has not reviewed/checked up on. Seems on the par for GK, i.e comment on something he has no knowledge of.

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 1

Hey but at least he hAs said something, lets move forward with a positive outlook.

He has said something, that we can say nothing!

You must not, and will not criticise the iom government!

Ok sorry mr corkish, I will take the birch across the back off the legs please sir!

Interesting that there has been over 5,000 hits already. That more than manxforums gets for an average murder on the Island or an MHK sex scandal (not that we've had an MHK sex scandal for a few years, but there must surely be one due).

Imagine the situation if say 40% of votes in a constituency were for candidates and 60% were 'spoilt papers' stating 'non of the above candidates',the 60% are obviously the democratic majority.

Use your Democratic right to a vote.

I think your idea would be a good stepping stone or precursor to standing for election yourself. Unless it led to new candidates, it wouldn't have any effect (as low turnout has no positive effect).

• Like 1

Now on Manx Radio. Apparently he does not read the forums, so basically he is critisising something he has not reviewed/checked up on. Seems on the par for GK, i.e comment on something he has no knowledge of.

..............and claimed that people in the street come up to me and say, "Have you seen what's on the forums."

How is reacting to man-in-street-skeet more-informed, Geoff?

What next Geoff.....................ban people from the streets?

12.jpg

I sort of agree with him that the forums, and especially iomtoday's comments are unremittingly and often unfairly negative and gloomy. For example, the government may announce a saving and the first comment is "it's not enough", second about an unrelated cost, and the third calling it spin.

Spot on Declan. There forums are full of negative comments, particularily about the Manx economy (which is still not in recession) and we have to bear in mind that visitors (and even potential investers) will stumble across and read these forums...

Geoff has slipped up on this one though. Freedom of speech is vitally important and this will make him look like a fairy.

So who is the username "Corkish" which I see from time to time lurking but never posting on threads? Is that Geoff or someone else?

If he's never read the forums then who told him the forums were ill informed? Some unelected, unaccountable civil servant who is drafting draconian legislation ("that's another story") to stop the momentum to get their overpaid salaries cut?

Spot on Declan. There forums are full of negative comments, particularily about the Manx economy (which is still not in recession) and we have to bear in mind that visitors (and even potential investers) will stumble across and read these forums...

But that's true of forums and online comments in EVERY country on this planet. Have you not read the Daily Mail online comments? Or Fox News, the Huffington Post, Media Matters, Russia Today, Al Jazeera, Drudge Report? Heck, even the White House's own facebook page is filled with criticism of the government. Every day, people in every country of this planet go on their computers and bitch about the economy and the government. But do their leaders call for those things to be shut down? Maybe in China, North Korea or Zimbabwe. To think that somehow the Isle of Man should be exempt from scrutiny or criticism in case an outsider reads it is just plain and simple BONKERS. Geoff is lucky we're too lazy to organise into mass protests -- Can you imagine if Kennedy had said "We better shut up that Martin Luther King Jr in case outsiders hear him speaking negatively about our nation! We have to bear in mind possible investors!"

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Imagine the situation if say 40% of votes in a constituency were for candidates and 60% were 'spoilt papers' stating 'non of the above candidates',the 60% are obviously the democratic majority.

Use your Democratic right to a vote.

I think your idea would be a good stepping stone or precursor to standing for election yourself. Unless it led to new candidates, it wouldn't have any effect (as low turnout has no positive effect).

I believe the returning officer has to read out any statement written on a 'spoilt paper' to all the candidates so it is an effective vote of no confidence.

If the press chose to report it,which I believe they would,then it is far more effective than not turning up to vote at all.

What really concerns me is true voter apathy(a non attendance at the polling station) and circa 20% turnouts.

Edited by Lisenchuk

The more I read and hear about this I can not help but wonder if he has taken one for the team with the promise of a nice comfy seat. In my opinion it has taken the heat off Bell, Teare budget and MEA, I never heard it on the radio, but if he really did say that he does not read them, then maybe he should get his arse on here and put us all straight. Unbelievable

Edited to add - Emails being drafted to my MHK's I am now very interested in their opinion about his comment. I doubt I will get a reply though, I have only ever felt the need to write twice before and I was ignored on both occasions, not even a thanks for your email.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

Well I am delighted that Mr C has mentioned this, I had always hoped that some MHKs were reading this forum, and now it seems they might actually be doing so! I was told by someone in the know that there is a press person at DEC that reads all comments on the Facebook page that the students set up about fees, and the comments on iomtoday on coverage of DEC issues, so I was hoping they read this too. Excellent, and now lots and lots more people will too. :)