Eddie Lowey Retires And Doesn't Seek Re-Election As An Mlc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would be very much against her return, both Father, sister and herself have been defeated at the ballot box and father and sister have taken 100,s of thousands of public funds for a roll invented f

Eddie thrown the towel in eh

Posted Images

Can anyone tell me why the Non-Elected Members of the Legislative Council get to vote on the Budget. This may always have been the situation, but is it right that in many cases over the years LC Members who have failed at the House of Keys Elections get a vote to decide how the Island spends its money. Who decides on the candidates for membership of the Council ? The COM is it not.?

I wouldn't be against a return for Annie.

I would be very much against her return, both Father, sister and herself have been defeated at the ballot box and father and sister have taken 100,s of thousands of public funds for a roll invented for them.

• Like 4

Whereas I understand your sentiment, Charlie was never defeated at the ballot box.

And along with many others I was surprised Annie didn't get back in at the last general election. Especially considering the exit poll, I would have asked for a recount. There have been so-called errors and that come to light at these elections, but I s'pose that is another story.

But yes, President of Tynwald . . . no need.

Edited by carbon selector

In my area Corkish got in. There's no accounting for the public sometimes.

Although I was referring (not clearly I admit) to a by election. So if she got in that way would that be ok? Or are you opposed because of accident of birth?

One of Eddies leaving presents was made at the Manx Foundation and inscribed with the words of T E Brown, it thought it was quiet touching to read

"And the years do come

and the years do go

and when you look back

its all like a puff

happy and over and short enough"

If my memory serves me well I think you will find that CHK. was defeated by Dr. Edgar Mann in a general election.

When Garff lost one of its two seats, Kerruish beat Mann. Before that happened, Garff had two seats and they were both MHKs.

Mann then went back to Laxey Commissioners for a while before climbing up the greasy pole again. Kerruish was elected President of Tynwald and Garff voted Mann back in after that.

One of Eddies leaving presents was made at the Manx Foundation and inscribed with the words of T E Brown, it thought it was quiet touching to read

"And the years do come

and the years do go

and when you look back

its all like a puff

I've resisted it ! but only just LOL

• Like 1

If my memory serves me well I think you will find that CHK. was defeated by Dr. Edgar Mann in a general election.

When Garff lost one of its two seats, Kerruish beat Mann. Before that happened, Garff had two seats and they were both MHKs.

Mann then went back to Laxey Commissioners for a while before climbing up the greasy pole again. Kerruish was elected President of Tynwald and Garff voted Mann back in after that.

Dr Mann could have avoided that defeat by staying in the Legislative Council. He was elected to the Legislative Council in March 1985 but resigned his seat to stand for Keys election in November 1986. This was to give him a mandate from the people rather than as an unelected member of Tynwald. Unfortunately, that was when Garff became a single seat constituency.

Charlie Farley was elected to the Legislative Council in July 1990 and in the ensuing by-election Dr Mann regained his Garth seat.

"And the years do come

and the years do go

and when you look back

its all like a puff

They're printing my gift to him now too...(apologies to Heinz).

"That's our Eddie"

Ooh ooh ooh ...

He made us so sad

He made us so blue

He made all our troubles more heavy,

Spending our cash

It was gone in a flash

Unlike Eddie

Ooh ooh ooh ...

Now, troubles may come

And you can handle them dumb,

And he helped the ship steer unsteady

Over the hill

Troughing in swill

That was our Eddie

Ooh ooh ooh ...

Keep of the street

Or you're likely to meet

That really old guy in a chevy

He'll run into you

Cos he hasn't a clue

That's our Eddie

Ooh ooh ooh ...

C'mon everybody

• Like 2

I wonder - Bump Singer upstairs, then welcome Annie back in the subsequent byelection.

Yes Big Al would like that,plus with Corkish there as well,they would have a bigger block vote,she could then take back her old job of Treasury,it needs another fall guy/gal like the last time.

"And the years do come

and the years do go

and when you look back

its all like a puff

They're printing my gift to him now too...(apologies to Heinz).

"That's our Eddie"

Ooh ooh ooh ...

He made us so sad

He made us so blue

He made all our troubles more heavy,

Spending our cash

It was gone in a flash

Unlike Eddie

Ooh ooh ooh ...

Now, troubles may come

And you can handle them dumb,

And he helped the ship steer unsteady

Over the hill

Troughing in swill

That was our Eddie

Ooh ooh ooh ...

Keep of the street

Or you're likely to meet

That really old guy in a chevy

He'll run into you

Cos he hasn't a clue

That's our Eddie

Ooh ooh ooh ...

C'mon everybody

Madness Albert....madness I tell you. Good though.

Eddie's leaving speech quote has been done to death over the years. That and the one about the hand in the bucket of water.