Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
buzzbuzz

Conduct Of Tynwald Members

This is the overriding impression my teenager has been left with having spent several hours in Tynwald in recent times as part of the student pressure group, including this evening:

The conduct of some members - including Bell & Teare - has been appalling. Sniggering, mockery, reading newspapers and tapping on their tablets whenever opposition members got up to speak - particularly Beecroft.

I believe that, by contrast, the public gallery sat in dignified silence.

What an example to set. Shame on you.

• Like 3

This is the overriding impression my teenager has been left with having spent several hours in Tynwald in recent times as part of the student pressure group, including this evening:

The conduct of some members - including Bell & Teare - has been appalling. Sniggering, mockery, reading newspapers and tapping on their tablets whenever opposition members got up to speak - particularly Beecroft.

The sniggering and mockery comes across and Brenda Cannell had a go at it in her budget speech. I do not have much time for BC but she was spot on that just becomes a member does not agree with you they should be be littled.

If they are reading Newspapers, tapping on tablets etc then whoever is chairing should stop it. It is only for the odd day a week/month and basically all they should have with them are there papers.

This basically all comes back to the current block vote of Ministers and Department members. Bell & Teare and their lackeys know it is all sown up no matter what is said or done and so they can treat Tynwald, House of Keys with contempt. Accordingly they do

• Like 5

I hope they come away from the experience not disillusioned and apathetic but even more determined to change the system and fight the good fight. They should see the stupidity and ignorance of these politicians not as an obstacle but as an opportunity. In a gene pool filled with so many idiots, even a person of average intelligence could easily run circles around them. Young people need to stay politically aware, keep up with current events and empower themselves with knowledge so that when they are a bit older they can stand for election themselves and make a difference.

• Like 5

This was my experience too, I have only been a couple of times and just shows how long ago my last visit was, as Annie was Bells side kick, It was like watching a couple of primary school kids, I could not take my eyes off the 2 of them nudging sniggering and pulling faces at each other. I would suggest that everyone go for at least an hour, just to see how they behave in there, I was pretty disgusted considering the public gallery can not even sneeze without getting the evils. Not the best example to set in front of a bunch of students who will be about to cast votes for many years to come.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 2

You are so right. It is an eye opener sitting in the public gallery. As soon as someone challenges Bell he starts mumbling and interrupting and encouraging his entourage to do the same. He has no respect for Tynwald or debate.

• Like 4

What tablets have they got? If they're Mitsubishis would they care to share?

Prozac ?

If you pay peanuts, expect.....

The only way you can get something besides money out of what you do is if you can take pride in it.

The behaviour of the "Honourable Members" doesn't surprise me in the slightest....

I've been there a couple of times and I have to say that the behaviour of some members - usuallly the 'power-wielders' - is nothing short of disgraceful. Time, surely, to have visuals - live streaming, perhaps - because I honestly believe that if the general public were to observe the antics, quite a few of them would never hold public office again

At times it's like a visit to the wildlife park - and then the one who mostly does an impression of a sloth has the nerve to rail against those who criticise them!

• Like 10

If you think that's bad try spending some time in their office area, I've spent many hours there and the level of scrutiny is shocking, whenever I left my work station I was watched closely and challenged on occasion as to who I was and what I was doing there, they all know who I am and my reason for being there. Bullying is rife and condescension endemic. I was in an office once with two MHKs and Quirkie came in and ordered me out because it was his office as well, fair point but done in such a rude way as to show him to be the small minded anachronism he is. A few choice words as I passed him made me feel better but probably went straight over his head.

PK has a plaque on his door depicting Liberal Vannin, it has been removed many times by persons unknown. Schoolboy antics from schoolboy minds.

Two of the members actually wrote a book the other years during sessions, alright it was for charity and I bought a copy (Tynwaldballs) but how much attention was being given to the proceedings?

Everyone should attend Keys at some point in their lives just to get a feel for how it works.

• Like 1

Morning,

I felt John Shimmin's conduct yesterday was also applauding.

He acted like a "Tory Whip" trying to put people down and then pull into line on behalf of the boss.

Major change has to happen at the next general election.

• Like 1

I assume you meant appalling Rob.

Shimmin always acts that way in Tynwald. Get into the gallery, he is at the top right corner of the chamber, looks to be asleep most of the time laying back with his feet up and grinning. Arrogant and shifty. I've only spoken to him once and he patronised me then, how I kept my mouth shut is beyond me but I did. I personally wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw a cow.

• Like 1

If you think that's bad try spending some time in their office area, I've spent many hours there and the level of scrutiny is shocking, whenever I left my work station I was watched closely and challenged on occasion as to who I was and what I was doing there, they all know who I am and my reason for being there. Bullying is rife and condescension endemic. I was in an office once with two MHKs and Quirkie came in and ordered me out because it was his office as well, fair point but done in such a rude way as to show him to be the small minded anachronism he is. A few choice words as I passed him made me feel better but probably went straight over his head.

PK has a plaque on his door depicting Liberal Vannin, it has been removed many times by persons unknown. Schoolboy antics from schoolboy minds.

Two of the members actually wrote a book the other years during sessions, alright it was for charity and I bought a copy (Tynwaldballs) but how much attention was being given to the proceedings?

Everyone should attend Keys at some point in their lives just to get a feel for how it works.

There's a story there IOM Newspapers / Manx Radio - Vice Chairman of LVP says 'bullying is rife' in higher echelons of IOM Government.

• Like 1

The place is full of obnoxious, pompous, condescending, misogynistic shits

• Like 3