Working On A Farm

alibaba

I would imagine that it is "kept in the family". With modern technology they are not as labour intensive as they once used to be either. I would imagine that contacting the owner to see if they have any work would be your starting point.

(Advertising costs money as well so they probably do not want that additional cost).

One time, I met some New Zealand people who were helping out at a local farm during lambing season, maybe you have to have experience or something. If I fancied working on a farm, I would go and visit a farmer, I reckon, the thought has never occurred to me though.

How does one go about getting a job on a farm? They are never, or very rarely advertised, and when they are it's normally for an experienced stockman or similar? Surely they need help, or is it all 'kept in the family'?

There was a mushroom farm advertising not all that long ago.

I imagine with the way things are going with the importation of cheap meats from South America being sold at large supermarks, local farms are having to tighten their belts and simply can't afford to take on more people.

Participation in the Isle of Man Cult of the Cow is very much a secretive thing

Headed by Honeysuckle Anderson from Ballamooar Farm, Patrick it's deeply immersive

You keep your trap shut, work hard for little pay & only a warm animal for company

In return for sustaining CoMins immense investment in the 'national herd' over the longer term, you may qualify for millions of pounds of grant aid which - unlike the poor students - you'll never, ever have to pay back

As they say in Tynwald, the welfare of the farmer is vital to that of the whole Manx nation

Edited by Donald Trumps

How does one go about getting a job on a farm? They are never, or very rarely advertised, and when they are it's normally for an experienced stockman or similar? Surely they need help, or is it all 'kept in the family'?

I have met some farmers asking themselves that same question, it pays better to do nothing.

Go knocking on doors the old manx farmers may skin you and eat you so stay away from Cronk y voddy and six fingered Ffinlo.

• 4 months later...

Wanted: Farm Worker

Staarvey Farm

Staarvey Road

Peel

Full time (0830 - 1630). Variety of agricultural & horticultural tasks, involving heavy manual work, driving a quad, collecting, grading & packing eggs, feeding hens, cleaning hen houses, weeding, general maintenance (woodwork + plumbing), deliveries & farm hygiene. Experience: Preference will be given to those with experience of work in agriculture or horticulture. Requirements: Physically fit, ability to use own initiative & work on own as well as part of a team. Clean driving license required.

Closing date - Friday 2 August 2013. To start immediately.

See website for contact details: http://www.gov.im/ded/jobcentre/jobInfo.aspx?id=79755

Edited by Thomas Jefferson