Crooked Roofer Fined For Deception

I've just had some plumbing work done - can't fault the team that did it (PM me if you want details) in terms of how hard they worked, how clean they were, how they tidied up after themselves etc. I don't doubt I could have found a cheaper quote, but these guys came recommended and before I employed them I was impressed with how they planned the job (which was to strip out an old cylinder and cold tank and replace it with a pressurised system) which I don't think was easy given the vagaries of our old house and the previous system's layout.

They're not on the list.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

being on the list is no guarantee of a decent job either!

He deserves a right slating.

Approved Contractors list

Very useful. I've used a few of the companies on that list and haven't had a problem with any of them. Having said that I've also used, and will use in the future, a number of people who aren't on that list who are entirely trustworthy and reliable - not being on the list doesn't necessarily mean that someone is useless.

From what I understand, being on that list is a requirement to be able to tender/ work on government funded building.

As you say just because someone is not on that list does not mean they are no good, just maybe they do not work for government.

• Like 3

Very useful. I've used a few of the companies on that list and haven't had a problem with any of them. Having said that I've also used, and will use in the future, a number of people who aren't on that list who are entirely trustworthy and reliable - not being on the list doesn't necessarily mean that someone is useless.

From what I understand, being on that list is a requirement to be able to tender/ work on government funded building.

As you say just because someone is not on that list does not mean they are no good, just maybe they do not work for government.

I'd have expected some type of guarantee from those who are on the approved list and based on something like the Where's good to eat guide. It won't be accurate as people will make up fictitious names and give some firms a bad name, but it would be a start.

I've just had some plumbing work done - can't fault the team that did it (PM me if you want details) in terms of how hard they worked, how clean they were, how they tidied up after themselves etc. I don't doubt I could have found a cheaper quote, but these guys came recommended and before I employed them I was impressed with how they planned the job (which was to strip out an old cylinder and cold tank and replace it with a pressurised system) which I don't think was easy given the vagaries of our old house and the previous system's layout.

They're not on the list.

Isn't building regulation approval required for this kind of work?

I'd have expected some type of guarantee from those who are on the approved list and based on something like the Where's good to eat guide. It won't be accurate as people will make up fictitious names and give some firms a bad name, but it would be a start.

I would also expect a similar guarantee from those not on the list.

If they are competent there shouldn't be any problems.

I've just had some plumbing work done - can't fault the team that did it

Pleased to hear that - I'm very disappointed in those who profess to do renewables work on the Island - especially solar thermal systems which is done predominantly by plumbers.

Perhaps this is because there are no standards / assessments required?

The situation is worsened when you see frankly dangerous (and yes I do mean dangerous) installations.

I have inspected numerous systems in the last year and without exception all have had faults.

I think the most frustrating thing is the public are being conned - if all systems were represented for what they are and what they can do (as well as what they can't), and there was a degree of honesty the market would be bigger here meaning more work for those companies involved and satisfied clients all round.

So, please don't get conned and don't spend your hard earned money without justification.

I cite one example below posted recently on the particular companies Facebook page - it is misleading and false - good luck with getting the empirical data referred to.

It's a shame the OFT can't really do anything about this - the "adverts" been and gone.

For those plumbers reading this - would you install a pressurised system without a PRV or expansion vessel?

For those members of the public reading this - do you think a solar system will work satisfactorily on a westerly facing roof which is in shade for most of the time?

The offending article - buyer beware

Probably the best investment you could make with a proven return

(XXX have been installing Solar Thermal systems for nearly 20 year)

As heating engineers we have developed a bespoke system of

maximising solar system efficiency, and making a significant contribution to the central heating needs of properties.

This is a tried and tested formula backed up by empirical data so we can prove the savings that can be achieved with this system.

Although the system cannot practically be used to cater for all your

central heating needs it does make a significant contribution and can make a substantial reduction in home heating bills.

• 5 weeks later...

I wish I had seen this before I employed Simply Roofing for a repair job on my roof. Im out of pocket and its been a bit of a nightmare.

I have informed the OFT, so heres hoping...

Although at long last this company has been prosecuted how many other people do you think have been ripped off?

I can assure you Trading Standards are the most lazy, useless shower that the public pay for.

They allow criminals to trade and will only take matters to court when pushed by someone with some clout.

Although at long last this company has been prosecuted how many other people do you think have been ripped off?

I can assure you Trading Standards are the most lazy, useless shower that the public pay for.

They allow criminals to trade and will only take matters to court when pushed by someone with some clout.

I called them once in relation to an issue I had with a bank ,they declined to give any advice.

They tried to rip-off a very nice 'little old lady'. A 'friend of a friend' made sure they never set foot on her property again.

600 quid for two hour's painting!

I am currently in the process of spending 3 times what I paid to these jokers to put right the 'repairs' they did. As you say Roxanne if you didn't pay or argued the case the harrassment would start. I'm still interested in getting any info if anyone has any as I can't see any point in going to the OFT.

I will state here and now that the Chief executive of Trading Standards does allow criminals to operate in the Isle of Man and is fully aware of this.

Mr Mike Ball and the Senior Trading Standards officer permit it, it was only when Sir Miles Walker was the one who got scammed did this useless department take action.

It seems they can find the cash to prosecute when a gentleman like this is involved but when the man in the street complaints they couldnt give a toss.

Lifestyles of the rich and the famous.

I will state here and now that the Chief executive of Trading Standards does allow criminals to operate in the Isle of Man and is fully aware of this.

Mr Mike Ball and the Senior Trading Standards officer permit it, it was only when Sir Miles Walker was the one who got scammed did this useless department take action.

It seems they can find the cash to prosecute when a gentleman like this is involved but when the man in the street complaints they couldnt give a toss.

Lifestyles of the rich and the famous.

Ever considered a career in the diplomatic core?

• Like 1