The Legislative Council - Now A Worthless Money Pit?

Donald Trumps

Leg Co used to consist largely of ex M.H.K.s who were chosen for their experience in politics and had initially been elected democratically but when you look at this bunch it makes me shiver, literally, Geoff C. is the only one that has got any kind of official backing from the voters... ye gods.... is this what we have become. Trouble is, as I see it there is no way Leg.Co. can be desolved and that is the only way forward.

Sensible chap called Chris came on the Mannin Line towards the end - don't know if it was Chris Thomas or not - who did talk about this for a bit

Can't see that we're ever going to get consensus politics here without a much braver media

Anyone have ideas?

I too thought that Chris made excellent points, and suggested interesting way forward to consider his point of view, a committee to make sure his view was right. But this time this has to be the last time for years - there have already been 30 years of committees. This Chris was not me. I propose a definitive referendum on LegCo to take place on local authority election day in 2016, before the general election, deciding yes or no about the continuation of the current LegCo or a reformed one, depending on what House of Keys resolves before 2016. I will present and discuss about LegCo in its parliamentary context at PAG AGM on Monday 25/3. I will continue to post here about this and other things. Looking forward to discussing. But got to rush now.

Edited by Chris Thomas
  • Like 2

I listened to (admittedly only a smattering) of Geoff Corkish's justification for standing for LegCo on MR at dinnertime today; the HUGE experience he's gained in his 6 years as MHK for Douglas West; the VAST experience he's gained from sitting on, apparently, MANY committees in his time.

Unfortunately none of this was expanded upon. To many of the public it would appear that in his six years all he's done is:

1) made a much ridiculed claim that the Steam Packet fares have no influence on the number of people travelling here;

2) made a much ridiculed claim that internet free-speech should be shut down and

3) stuck up the price of posting a letter on the grounds that people aren't using the service enough.

If any other posters can expand on this list, feel free but as a non-Douglas West constituent that's all I can think of.

Is this enough to justify "elevating" (God help us) Mr. Corkish to LegCo? Opinions?

• Like 2

I've never been in favour of the MHK's voting in someone for the LegCo.

It just seems so open for corruption, I'll vote for you if... etc. although the secret ballot is a plus in one regard as the person selected doesn't or shouldn't know who voted for them, but a minus in another as people don't know who or why they voted for that particular candidate

• Like 2

If any other posters can expand on this list, feel free but as a non-Douglas West constituent that's all I can think of.

Is this enough to justify "elevating" (God help us) Mr. Corkish to LegCo? Opinions?

Mentioned in another thread, but in the emergency Tynwald debate following the UK reducing our VAT share, Geoff's input included the line:

"Don't get mad, get even".

w

t

f

I think the guy has swallowed a dictionary of hackneyed and cliched sayings and just regurgitates them at random when he thinks he should say something. You can get away with saying irrelevant bollox at the local choir meeting, church or lodge........ but in Tynwald?

• Like 6

It seems Geoff Corkish thinks that his role in politics is more of a social function after being a church choir member and holding an office that gave him notoriety. As a Douglas West constituant he has achieved sweet F.A. He failed to even respond to an email I sent to him regarding tuition fees. This man is the antithesis of the democracy he claims to represent.

Why should a man who can't even ascertain the most basic level of competence be promoted on high?

• Like 1

Carbon Selector asked in another thread: "In the last 50 years can anyone give me some legislation that we have greatly benefitted from in a "thank God we had the good ol' LegCo there to save that slipping through the net" sort of way"? Chris - the one on Mannin Line - asked something similar today, and the discussion moved to the small number of Joint Committees I think. What answer did you receive Carbon Selector?

Of course scrutiny is valuable, as is forward and alternative thinking in policy development. But there are alternative ways of doing that in the Isle of Man. For instance the three Tynwald Policy Review committees; and the statutory extra-parliamentary consultative committees which exist for Health, Legal Aid, and so on.

Edited by Chris Thomas
  • Like 1

@Chris Thomas, I didn't hear the broadcast. I have discussed and shared views with various others.

Perhaps LegCo have saved the day some time. I really don't know, I shall have to pour over 50 years of Hansard to find out. But I rather feel it is for someone in Tynwald to do the pouring over and come up with some nice examples to fully justify why we pay these people to do whatever it is they do.

Edited by carbon selector

It seems Geoff Corkish thinks that his role in politics is more of a social function after being a church choir member and holding an office that gave him notoriety. As a Douglas West constituant he has achieved sweet F.A. He failed to even respond to an email I sent to him regarding tuition fees. This man is the antithesis of the democracy he claims to represent.

Why should a man who can't even ascertain the most basic level of competence be promoted on high?

He's a replacement for Eddie Lowey.

• Like 1

I am very optimistic that things will change in the next general election.

These dirty whore politicians will be gone like the dodo.

A new generation is becoming politically active, and they are the future.

I really hope that I will be able to see your prediction as a reality at the next election.