The Legislative Council - Now A Worthless Money Pit?

Donald Trumps

A less than inspiring listen on Sunday Opinion this afternoon to the phony politics of the LegCo election. Only six candidates because Juan Turner couldn't make it. You'd rather think he'd make the effort wouldn't you ? Linda Bowel-Cash (?) gave us a wonderful professional business C.V. that would doubtless stand her in good stead for.......well a career in business perhaps ? She couldn't make clear where she stood in relation to Liberal Vannin, and was one leg in and one leg out. Geoff gave us the old safe hands routine, experience, no change, wisdom of the elders, and so on, and that even if he was jumping ship he'd still represent the people of West Douglas. It also came out that Geoff could vote for himself whereas the others couldn't, so he's got a ten yards start before a shot is even fired. Roger managed another dig at the FOI 'anoraks' and still doesn't get it about the need for cultural change in Manx politics. There was understandably no criticism at all of the current government, their policy or direction; no surprise considering that they will be looking for their votes; yet much lofty talk of the democratic value of second chambers, checks and balances etc. As we've said so many times: 'You couldn't make it up'

It also came out that Geoff could vote for himself whereas the others couldn't, so he's got a ten yards start before a shot is even fired.

Then the whole bloody vote system has no credibility whatsoever.mad.gif

I am very optimistic that things will change in the next general election.

These dirty whore politicians will be gone like the dodo.

A new generation is becoming politically active, and they are the future.

That ''new generation'' is still in nappies and the only change anytime-soon will be a dry Huggie.

It also came out that Geoff could vote for himself whereas the others couldn't, so he's got a ten yards start before a shot is even fired.

To be absolutely fair my honest opinion is that of all the candidates Geoff Corkish is the least capable and useful person to sit on the Legislative Council.

Tell me one, just one time he has made any useful comment in the House of Keys as far as legislation is concerned (or anything else for that matter). When legislation is put through the Keys when has he shown he has even read let alone understood the papers in front of him. It is not good enough to simply vote "aye" all the time along with the Council of Ministers and their hangers on.

I have to say I have nothing against Geoff as a person. A lovely guy with a rich baritine singing voice and as their MHK I am sure he brings confidence to the church-goers, singers and freemasons in Douglas West. But as a Member of the House of Keys he brings nothing to the table, as far as I am concerned.

It is unfortunate that the election is by secret ballot. Other than Juan Watterson who nominated him and the person who is going to second him, we will never know who the other dumbheads are that are going to give Geoff an even more comfortable seat for the next 5 years.

I say again - he is the least capable of all the candidates.

The least.

• Like 1

I think the first vote will be for the two sitting members,then with the rest not getting enough votes,it will as usual be left to the next sitting,meanwhile the ones who were bottom,will withdraw,leaving the way open for other candidates to emerge.

Then we might get to a point of a opening for a certain failed candidate in the General Election to suddenly come to the front and sweep the board,bringing with them good old Geoff.

So there we have the result Turner,Wild, Geoff,and ??????,now knowing what influence certain persons have in Tynwald,do we know if they will exert it?.

I listened to (admittedly only a smattering) of Geoff Corkish's justification for standing for LegCo on MR at dinnertime today; the HUGE experience he's gained in his 6 years as MHK for Douglas West; the VAST experience he's gained from sitting on, apparently, MANY committees in his time.

Unfortunately none of this was expanded upon. To many of the public it would appear that in his six years all he's done is:

1) made a much ridiculed claim that the Steam Packet fares have no influence on the number of people travelling here;

2) made a much ridiculed claim that internet free-speech should be shut down and

3) stuck up the price of posting a letter on the grounds that people aren't using the service enough.

If any other posters can expand on this list, feel free but as a non-Douglas West constituent that's all I can think of.

Is this enough to justify "elevating" (God help us) Mr. Corkish to LegCo? Opinions?

Unfortunately he recognises that this kind of shit is exactly what his 'colleagues' in the Keys want to hear & believe, and will elevate him for it

Also confirmation of the contempt he has for the voting public

Ideally he will be elected to LegCo, we'll get a decent MHK in West Douglas, and then LegCo will be abolished along with the glorious Tynwald Pension Scheme

• Like 1

I think the first vote will be for the two sitting members,then with the rest not getting enough votes,it will as usual be left to the next sitting,meanwhile the ones who were bottom,will withdraw,leaving the way open for other candidates to emerge.

Then we might get to a point of a opening for a certain failed candidate in the General Election to suddenly come to the front and sweep the board,bringing with them good old Geoff.

So there we have the result Turner,Wild, Geoff,and ??????,now knowing what influence certain persons have in Tynwald,do we know if they will exert it?.

Undoubtedly it will have been arranged for Turner The Turd to be re-elected for his services to the student fees proposal, having seconded the ridiculous motion & voted for it

A new Manx Pariah

But is he standing as a LibVan candidate now?

Quite a few people have distanced themselves a little of late - possibly for reasons Albert gave earlier (I think)

Party politics [or the GNU for that matter] doesn't suit us here - whilst towing a general line, everyone has to be allowed their own opinions & rightly so

Edited by Donald Trumps

LV tends to taint people that would otherwise get in, IME.

I have a question.

When Minister Teare and others imply, as they have done many times, that Liberal Vannin candidates are puppets of some mysterious and ominous puppet-master hiding behind the curtains and pulling their strings, to whom are they referring???