The Legislative Council - Now A Worthless Money Pit?

Donald Trumps

A less than inspiring listen on Sunday Opinion this afternoon to the phony politics of the LegCo election. Only six candidates because Juan Turner couldn't make it. You'd rather think he'd make the effort wouldn't you ? Linda Bowel-Cash (?) gave us a wonderful professional business C.V. that would doubtless stand her in good stead for.......well a career in business perhaps ? She couldn't make clear where she stood in relation to Liberal Vannin, and was one leg in and one leg out. Geoff gave us the old safe hands routine, experience, no change, wisdom of the elders, and so on, and that even if he was jumping ship he'd still represent the people of West Douglas. It also came out that Geoff could vote for himself whereas the others couldn't, so he's got a ten yards start before a shot is even fired. Roger managed another dig at the FOI 'anoraks' and still doesn't get it about the need for cultural change in Manx politics. There was understandably no criticism at all of the current government, their policy or direction; no surprise considering that they will be looking for their votes; yet much lofty talk of the democratic value of second chambers, checks and balances etc. As we've said so many times: 'You couldn't make it up'

I just listened to Opinion programme on Listen Again. Some of the candidates got into discussion about their business knowledge and experience, some of which included international work. It was quite enlightening. Some of these candidates are actually quite heavyweight business people. I can see why Juan Turner might not have wanted to attend (why should he, he seconded a very unpopular bit of CoMin policy regarding student fees and the block vote boys will reward him nicely to the tune of £50k pa for the next five years for his loyalty).

During the discussions in the second half, I listened to the recording very carefully. I swear I could hear the moths flying about in Geoff Corkish's head.

During the discussions in the second half, I listened to the recording very carefully. I swear I could hear the moths flying about in Geoff Corkish's head.

One can only wonder at their ability to survive without oxygen.

• Like 1

Geoff Corkish's name was needlessly bandied about a couple of times on Manx Radio's Mandate Programme this morning. Minister David Cretney saying something about Ministers "and Geoff Corkish" will be meeting some group or other. It's how these people tend to be shoved up the greasy pole.and further along the gravy train to the first class carriages and troughing car.

The presenter seemed to warm to the name Geoff Corkish too. I thought Juan Watterson was paving the way for his 'society with secrets' colleague to be lined up for the Legislative Council a few weeks back when he praised Geoff for his comments regarding people going into pison and coming out worse because of the people they associated with in prison. It was some sort of guff to that effect anyway and the sort of highly intelligent and informative comments you might expect from a little old lady at a bus stop.. But we don't need little old ladies at bus stops, we got Geoff in the House of Keys. For now anyway, but soon to be guffing away in the Legislative Council no doubt. Or maybe he will then turn even more taciturn. Keep schtum, smile and look for yet another 5 years.

Edited by carbon selector
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A less than inspiring listen on Sunday Opinion this afternoon to the phony politics of the LegCo election. Only six candidates because Juan Turner couldn't make it. You'd rather think he'd make the effort wouldn't you ? Linda Bowel-Cash (?) gave us a wonderful professional business C.V. that would doubtless stand her in good stead for.......well a career in business perhaps ? She couldn't make clear where she stood in relation to Liberal Vannin, and was one leg in and one leg out. Geoff gave us the old safe hands routine, experience, no change, wisdom of the elders, and so on, and that even if he was jumping ship he'd still represent the people of West Douglas. It also came out that Geoff could vote for himself whereas the others couldn't, so he's got a ten yards start before a shot is even fired. Roger managed another dig at the FOI 'anoraks' and still doesn't get it about the need for cultural change in Manx politics. There was understandably no criticism at all of the current government, their policy or direction; no surprise considering that they will be looking for their votes; yet much lofty talk of the democratic value of second chambers, checks and balances etc. As we've said so many times: 'You couldn't make it up'

I agree.......... I won my bet on CORKISH getting in though. I mean it was an almost certainty wasnt it..? So, BELL and Govt gets one of its 'tow the line' personalities into the MLC ranks....(Got to look after each other after all..!!) So much for its independance... but dont worry, you wont know he is there, because you wont hear him..... zorro.gif

I agree.......... I won my bet on CORKISH getting in though. I mean it was an almost certainty wasnt it..? So, BELL and Govt gets one of its 'tow the line' personalities into the MLC ranks....(Got to look after each other after all..!!) So much for its independance... but dont worry, you wont know he is there, because you wont hear him..... zorro.gif

Apart from emitting occasional snoring and mumbling that is.

Edited by Lisenchuk

The only thing that Geoff Corkish has said in House of Keys or Tynwald of any significance since being elected in 2006, was shortly before his elevation to the Legislative Council, and that was to do with these forums.

As I see it, that says a lot about his 13 supporters in the House of Keys.

• Like 2

Chris Thomas invites the Public to discuss the future of LegCo at Manx Legion Club this evening at 07.45pm.

From newsiomtoday site:

PAG Meeting to discuss LegCo

Published on Monday 25 March 2013 11:44

A POLITICAL lobby group is to hold a meeting tonight (Monday, March 25) on the subject of electoral reform.

The Positive Action Group (PAG) says it is committed to campaigning for a popularly-elected Legislative Council.

It was disappointed that the Electoral Reform Bill 2012, which would have ensured this, failed.

A spokesman said: ‘With the recent collegiate election of four members of the Legislative Council we await the next round in 2015 when the argument about the method of electing LegCo members will no doubt re-surface. It is an argument which has “run and run” to quote the President of Tynwald.’

For PAG’s next public meeting the topic is ‘The Legislative Council - What Next?’

Chris Thomas will explore some issues for the island’s constitutional and political framework in the light of debates, decisions and experience in the island and abroad.

Among the questions he will consider are:

• Does the island’s second chamber work as best it could for people and our parliament?

• What contribution should LegCo members make to government and legislation?

• Do other countries manage without a second chamber?

• To what extent could existing LegCo mechanisms and arrangements be tweaked in coming years without legislative reform?

Is now the time for a LegCo referendum?

The meeting is free and open to all, with the audience able to join in the discussion. It will take place 7.45pm at the Manx Legion Club, Market Hill, Douglas.

Edited by Lisenchuk
  • Like 1