Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Its Google's fault.

They set up the Isle of Man as not being "Within the UK" , and App developers are allowed to specify which territories their apps can be downloaded into.

So yeh. Shout at Google. And theyll ignore you in their ivory tower. :)

Is that the Isle of Man's fault then for not being within the UK?

Google Play Music is still bust; well sort of half works but there's something odd that breaks the search box.

Didn't last long, bit of looking around in the store and trying the different play apps soon got 'Not available in your country' message and back to free store only

So this is still A THING, as I found out when I bought a nice new Nvidia Shield tablet last week. I knew it hadn't been sorted as my Nexus 5 only connects to the free store unless I VPN it, so I was expecting to have to endure shenanigans to get the Shield to connect to the proper store.

In the end I decided to chuck a bit of cash at it, and went with Cyberghost - http://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en

There is a free version of that which apparently works fine but I got 12 months for €15 in their winter sale which seemed reasonable. There's an app for it which makes it all very easy to do once you've fed it your username and password.

The store itself seems more aggressive than it used to be with rehoming to the free store once the VPN is off, but it's literally just a few seconds to fire up the app and turn the VPN on, or you can simply leave it on all the time. (Apparently the free version of Cyberghost turns itself off after 3 hours so you have to turn it on again, whereas the paid version is unlimited.)

The information posted last page still works, i.e. Turn VPN on if not on already, force stop the Play Store process, clear cache and data, and then launch the Play Store.

I can only assume this will never actually be fixed properly, and we'll be VPN-ing our Android devices from now until Doomsday.

Nothing will be fixed as there is nothing to fix?? Apps are created and if the creator only selects uk and doesn't specify the Isle of Man then we are not eleigable for it.

We are are not part of the U.K. we just follow every move they do.

Nothing will be fixed as there is nothing to fix?? Apps are created and if the creator only selects uk and doesn't specify the Isle of Man then we are not eleigable for it.

We are are not part of the U.K. we just follow every move they do.

That's not correct. There's no Isle of Man region according to google, so it's not a case of individual apps being eligable or non eligable. If it things you're in a territory it doesn't recognise, then you get no paid apps at all.

It's definitely broke, because it's so haphazard. I have all paid apps, and google music works just fine on my account. Other householders here don't have any paid apps at all and can't log into google music.

There's also lots of other nuances that you neglect to mention, like the IOM is covered by specific UK legislation, so we are part of the UK in certain circumstances. Lots of examples, thinks like patents, registered designes, trademarks etc are all examples of UK acts of parliament that specifically cover the isle of man and why you can't suddently decide to sell your own rip offs here as if it was the far east.

Google have this wrong, they think we're a separate terratory for digital rights, and we'r enot. Everyone else has it right, netflix, apple, iplayer, etc. Google even get it right sometimes, but when they introduced the nexus, they changed the regional detection so it operates without a sim card and it broke something else.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/table/3541286

IOM is "rest of the world" therefore no paid apps.

I doubt that this is particularly about rights or about them misunderstanding rights. Or, if it is, I would guess that is not the only issue.

I deal with another company which will also not sell licenses to IOM customers (IOM for them is their equivalent of "rest of the world") - I know that in their case it is because they have simply not found the time or inclination to go through the process of establishing that there are no particular tax or accounting issues which they might have to deal with. Not that there probably are but because there might be. And they would not know until they would spend money finding out.

ETA:

It's definitely broke, because it's so haphazard.

My guess would be that this is down to some IP addresses being identified as UK and others not being. If the country of the user's IP address cannot be identified then presumably it defaults to "rest of the world" - and no paid apps. Many people report that after accessing the store from some particular device via a VPN into UK then they are fine for a while. Others report that they can only ever access paid content via a VPN. That could potentially be down to the way different versions and installations of Android persist / cache settings etc. OS updates could therefore also be responsible for changes. The way in which account / login settings are persisted might also explain why two users on the same connection get different access.

Edited by pongo

Pongo in not adding anything but using lots of words shocker.

Is rude your default mode?

If you read what I have written you will see that I am politely doubting your assertion that this is a "digital rights" issue - that they have misunderstood.

There is also the fact that whether or not we are a separate territory wrt to "digital rights" is down only to what the rights owner or aggregator decides. A company could probably choose, if it wanted, to not license content to a specific UK county. It's a contract.

Edited by pongo

If this were about "digital rights" free content would also be blocked. Since free content still involves rights. Payment doesn't change that.

So at some level I believe that this is likely an accounting issue.

Edited by pongo