Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Blade Runner

Facebook "wrapping" For Android Phones

I am not a Facebook user so I may be well off the mark but this article caught my eye:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-22025729

What I dont understand is how, if someone is that connected to their friends and acquaintances, how they have time during the day to actually get any work done.

OK someone might not be replying to messages/ status updates 24/7 but just even looking at your phone when it is that Real Time connected to your mates, must be a huge distraction to anyone, no matter how they may protest that they can multi-task.

Am I just looking at this from a middle aged point of view, or is it going to stop a lot of people getting on with their work?

I also cant work out why anyone would want to watch films on their phone, or catch up TV, the size of a phone screen, even the biggest is really too small and my eyesight is still 20/20 despite my years of abuse that my mother warned me about the consequences....thumbsup.gif

The internet on phones is ridiculously slow here, it's not my phone because when I go away, it works fine. I doubt there is much to worry about, I generally give up on facebook or wait for wi-fi.....Getting on with my work has never really worried me too much, if I'd skived off work during the day I more than made up for it with free over time but I did love my job (a bit, more the people I worked for than the job) :)

• Like 1

Am I just looking at this from a middle aged point of view, or is it going to stop a lot of people getting on with their work?

Twitter and Facebook are often misunderstood by people that don't use them. Of course there is a load of crap on them and some peoples updates pain me, but that's the internet all over including forums. On the flip side I'm thorough in who I follow and keep the quality and kick out the crap.

My family are spread around the world and it's a great way to keep in touch with whats going on with them. There are plenty of sports and clubs that use them to communicate, lots having ditched traditional forums like this as it's all just easier. And then there are the people who run their businesses through them - some having a bigger target market than a website. Some companies I know use facebook first and their website remains secondary. Again depends on the nature, but it can be a great business tool and get you in front of more people at a quicker rate.

Same with twitter - cut out the crap and if used right it can be a great networking and business tool.

Most people who put down FB & Twitter probably haven't used them at all, read bad press about them or haven't used them effectively.

This android wrapper isn't my bag, but I can see how it could be useful to some. People will access these things anyway from normal smart phones so if they are that way inclined they will still be unproductive. It's up to employers and employees to make sure social media guidelines are in place. It isn't going away anytime soon.

• Like 1

Most people who put down FB & Twitter probably haven't used them at all, read bad press about them or haven't used them effectively.

I must disagree with that. There are lots of good things about Twitter and even Facebook even to such a degree that it is better having these things than not. But you do see the worst of what people can be like on there.

Apart from the initial idea for facebook, and the fact they were first to market (or at least first to get really big) it's safe to say that every single 'improvement' Zuckertwat and his goons have rolled out has been sh*t. This one's no different. People want apps, not launchers. Also, the launcher, if people even get their head round why they should use it, means Zuckerarse can snoop on even more data - your SMS, potentially all the other apps connected through it, etc. I can't even see why phone companies would embrace it. Nobody ever asked for a Facebook phone and nobody needs it. It's crap.

Snooping..... Google latitude can be uncannily accurate. I love it. It's a great tool if you forgot where you were last night :-)

The biggest news I can see from the new FB is the Android aspect. Have they dumped ios?

Anyway, basically FB etc give you a free service and all they ask in return is to target a few adds at you.

What's bad about that?

Google maps helps you to find a place. And Google translate helps you buy a ticket to get there.

And fb let's you get to know people world wide.

I love it.

Have to say tho, it's amazing how many people have no idea how to use a smartphone. IPhone users seem particularly bad for this.

The biggest news I can see from the new FB is the Android aspect. Have they dumped ios?

Probably because they can develop on Android and produce a wrapper. I doubt Apple would allow them to do this with iOS, thankfully. There will still be an App available.