Manx Inflation - Feb 2013 - Food Price Increases - Do We Need A Food Bank?

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/treasury/economic/retail/cpirpi13mar.pdf

latest figures are published - don't know why something for Feb 2013 figures produced and dated 20 March by the Economic Affairs Division was embargoed ( "kept secret") until today tho'...

it has just been on MR news with talk of the beef /fish / potatoes / veg prices going up over the year in double digit terms - but it doesn't identify if the price rises apply to just local produce or some "basket" of produce imported and local. I wish they would specify.

deja vu wasn't some one on here going to do / asking about a local monthly shop and posting up prices.

when does my pension go up to cover such food price increases - it doesn't - I just eat less and less :(

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let them eat cake.

Probably due to it's yet to be revealed 30% dog meat content...........Don't worry It's Not Poodle.

http://www.gov.im/li...cpirpi13mar.pdf

latest figures are published - don't know why something for Feb 2013 figures produced and dated 20 March by the Economic Affairs Division was embargoed ( "kept secret") until today tho'...

it has just been on MR news with talk of the beef /fish / potatoes / veg prices going up over the year in double digit terms - but it doesn't identify if the price rises apply to just local produce or some "basket" of produce imported and local. I wish they would specify.

deja vu wasn't some one on here going to do / asking about a local monthly shop and posting up prices.

when does my pension go up to cover such food price increases - it doesn't - I just eat less and less sad.png

Perhaps the Government will open up their discount food canteen (open only to civil servants and up to one friend) to pensioners so you can also enjoy discount meals which are subsidised by your tax money.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

TJ.

Please tell more are all Civil Servants allowed a guest at the subsidised canteen at Gov offices.

Surely not.

Yes, it is a new policy that they are now allowed to bring a guest with them. I think it's just one guest. Most civil servants have a swipe card to get in, although blue collar workers or people in the Health Service might not have them. It is located on the ground floor of the main government offices. Just keep walking forwards. All the MHK's go in there for their dinner on a Tuesday too. The civil servants are able to phone up and make requests.

The civil servants are able to phone up and make requests.

Lobster? Fois Gras? Or is it just pie and chips that sort of thing?

They can pick from a menu, so yes it would be pie and chips and that sort of thing. The point is, it is cheaper than going elsewhere for your dinner because it is subsidised by the taxpayer.

TJ.

Please tell more are all Civil Servants allowed a guest at the subsidised canteen at Gov offices.

Surely not.s

Yes, it is a new policy that they are now allowed to bring a guest with them. I think it's just one guest. Most civil servants have a swipe card to get in, although blue collar workers or people in the Health Service might not have them. It is located on the ground floor of the main government offices. Just keep walking forwards. All the MHK's go in there for their dinner on a Tuesday too. The civil servants are able to phone up and make requests.

Sounds a bit like the staff canteen at Nobles, I spent a lot of time up there about 6 years ago with a family member and noticed the canteen and thought "why not" and "what is the worst that could happen?"

I was never challenged and enjoyed decent food at a fraction of the cost of the coffee shop downstairs. There was no swiping of cards and it did strike me as being a bit open to abuse. There is even, or was anyway, an outside sheltered smoking area!

Thankfully I have not had to spend much time up there recently so I dont know if getting in there is still as easy, anyone?

Sounds a bit like the staff canteen at Nobles, I spent a lot of time up there about 6 years ago with a family member and noticed the canteen and thought "why not" and "what is the worst that could happen?"

I was never challenged and enjoyed decent food at a fraction of the cost of the coffee shop downstairs. There was no swiping of cards and it did strike me as being a bit open to abuse. There is even, or was anyway, an outside sheltered smoking area!

Thankfully I have not had to spend much time up there recently so I dont know if getting in there is still as easy, anyone?

Dunno if it's easy anymore, but perhaps you could try shoplifting for food, or I think thursdays is pension day if you want to take some money off some old bint - you could subsidise your lunches that way?

• Like 1