Visit To The Isle Of Man By The Chinese Ambassador To The Uk

on_a_pension

der...am thinking perhaps I was asleep when the visit was announced

I now read from the Govt Press Release dated today 12 April that "this week welcomed His Excellency Liu Xiaoming, the Chinese Ambassador to the United Kingdom, on a three-day visit to the Island". and I hear on MR Allan Bell saying he wrote and invited him in February and received a quick reply.

But I don't recall previously reading or hearing in advance as to when he was in fact due to visit - did I miss this?

Please Forum Members let me know what and when you knew of the visit.

thanks

OaP

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/cso/chiefministerwel23.xml

Edited by on_a_pension

Probably a worthwhile visit. Don't understand the apparent secrecy though?

Possibly because the last time there was an official from China over on a visit there were "free Tibet" protests at a few places on the island.

I asked for some free Tibet and received some funny looks, odd that really, considering I recover free cheese amongst other things.

I'm waiting for the delegation from North Korea to turn up and Mr Bell spouting the usual tripe about forging successful trade relationships.

Don't knock it - a wonderful opportunity involved for the creamery when we introduce them to the delicacy of 'dog, cheese & gravy.'

Anything that strengthens ties between the soon-to-be largest economy in the world and our piddly little rock can't be a bad thing. Making a play for any European expansion of large Chinese multinationals, with the favourable tax implications, mightn't be a bad call. Even if they were only satellite offices.

So what's in it for them - really?

Close to the UK

Some tax incentives

what else?

Tax breaks and then a long-term work contract for the DOI to build missile silos at Jurby (after they've done Peel Road and the Douglas Prom)