Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
KINGORRY

53 Weeks In A Year Now?

A year has 365 days or, in a leap year, 366 days. That means that there are 52 whole weeks, plus an extra one or two days.

In a tax year that has 365 days, the first day and the last day fall on the same day of the week. If, say, the first pay rent day falls on Friday, 6 April, the last pay rent day will fall on Friday, 5 April, in the following year. There will be, in that tax year,

• 53 weekly pay rent days,
  • 27 fortnightly pay rent days, and
  • 14 four-weekly pay rent days.

Simples?

I am pretty sure KINGORRY posted this as a joke? Please tell me it's a joke and someone didn't really think they were being done over.

There was an apparently serious letter in the British Medical Journal by a doctor somewhere moaning about being on call when the clocks go back and expecting an extra hour off in lieu or something. Complaining about a perceived extra week is perfectly understandable (even if wrong) in comparison with that.

• Like 1

He sounds like a spoilt child and all. I have a real problem with clock watchers.

I would point out that a friend of mine pays less for his mortgage than I do for my rent

Eh? We need to know a bit more than that to make sure apples aren't being compared with kumquats.

How long has he paid the mortgage for / when was it bought? Is it a comparable house? Does he had a man come running round to effect free repairs when they're required? etc etc etc.

The following generalisation may be unfair to many tenants but I'd wager most haven't got a clue what property really costs and care even less. That's not a criticism btw, it's just one of those many 'facts of life'. I was a tenant myself for around 10 years and I thought at the time it (the rent) was all profit. Wrong!

Edited by ballaughbiker

I received the Onchan Tenants Newsletter today and I am gobsmacked (to say the least) that we now have to pay for 53 weeks of rent per year instead of the normal 52 weeks. They state that because rents are due on a Monday, there are 53 Mondays in the calender year. Just another day in paradise.

so you don`t get the 2 week rent free period at christmas anymore? or did you forget that small detail?

I received the Onchan Tenants Newsletter today and I am gobsmacked (to say the least) that we now have to pay for 53 weeks of rent per year instead of the normal 52 weeks. They state that because rents are due on a Monday, there are 53 Mondays in the calender year. Just another day in paradise.

so you don`t get the 2 week rent free period at christmas anymore? or did you forget that small detail?

We longer get 2 free weeks at Christmas.

I think it is a fair point. There will never be a full 53 week in a calender year. 52.1 or 52.2 maybe, but not 53. There seems to be a narcissistic epidemic in these chat rooms.

You know there's a difference between rent falling due 53 times in a year, and paying rent for 53 weeks in a year right?

I'm not really sure where to start, as people have already explained it, but I will try.

Say rent day is a Monday, and you pay for the next week every Monday. It doesn't matter if there are 52 or 53 Mondays in the year, you are only ever paying a weeks rent which runs from one Monday to the next. Over a two or three year period you are not being charged more rent just because every few years there is a year that has 53 Mondays in it.

Some people think about things too much. Better to just pay the rent and not give it another thought until the next time.

• Like 1

Please explain further trmpton - I can't quite get my head around it at the moment. I'm to busy trying to get it as far up my arse as other people on here. sorcerer.gif

You sound a little Befuddled.

Really hope this thread is a joke if its not, please try renting privately, for what you pay for a house you'd be lucky to rent a bedsit for.

I live in a council property, we get a total of 4 weeks "rent free", 2 weeks at xmas and 2 weeks at the end of March..