Buster Lewin To Give Evidence To Tynwald Select Committee

GD4ELI

The element I found interesting was that the DofE did not appear to have done their due diligence research & so just accepted Dandara's statement that they had alternative access. Apparently that was a total bluff by Dandara as presumably if the Govt new that it was the only option it would have greatly strengthened their negotiating hand and presumably upped the value of that bit of land considerably.

Now I may be wrong but was it not Teare who was the Minister of the DoE at the time? The same person who said that he had done the due diligence on Pinewood.

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust Mr Teare to do due diligence on a jam doughnut

His performance in Tynwald this morning was just absurd

God knows what planet he lives on

Unfortunately for us, its the same planet... David Cannan, the then MHK for Michael was convinced that it was a dubious deal, to put it politely, and I think anyone with a brain - certainly all the local residents I know - agreed with him. And we are the ones who are supposed to be 'ill-informed'!! Yeah right!

• Like 2

I dont think it is anything to do with due diligence, how would the government be able to check that say, for example, Dandara had a "shook hands" deal with a householder to buy their property to create access? Nothing would have been registered at that stage.

What they did, if it is true, is just normal business, when you do a deal with someone you dont give the other party all the information you have. Its like when a company may be short of work, if that company gets a call from a client asking them to price a job and asking when they could do it, the company would not tell the client "Well its a good job you called, we are very short of work and really need this job of yours, we could do it the day after tomorrow"

Giving out that information would allow the client to really cut the price they were willing to pay. If the company instead said "We are really busy at the moment but because you are a good client I think we could swap around a few jobs and fit you in the day after tomorrow, how does that sound? The price will be the same as last time" That is going to have a better outcome for the company which is short of work.

Thats just business and much the same as this from what we know.

BR. In your example you would be deceiving one person.

In the KM case, you would be deceiving 80,000 Manx residents.

Slightly different.

In each case, the ''customer'' would have somewhat different responsibilities.

Edited by Kopek

BR. In your example you would be deceiving one person.

In the KM case, you would be deceiving 80,000 Manx residents.

Slightly different.

In each case, the ''customer'' would have somewhat different responsibilities.

I think deceiving is a bit strong Kopek, I would call it a negotiation strategy thumbsup.gif

As for the 80,000 Manx residents, the island needs more houses to help push down the ridiculous cost of the existing ones.

Our children will not be able to buy if the prices dont fall.

The main problem here is that it is Kirk Michael, a hot bed of NIMBYs well known for not wanting any development in their "really quaint old village" Not!

• Like 1

I'm sure Messrs B+T would only ever work in the best interests of the Island Bees!

Assuming Mr Lewin isn't telling porkies, do you think the police will get involved?

Book jokes aside this is absolutely disgraceful. My mate read it all and gave me a brief synopsis today (I'll read it later) but from what he said - Bell needs to do the honourable thing and fall on a sword or something.

If Allan "undesirably close alliance with the developer" Bell didn't fall upon his sword over Mount Murray, he's not going to do so over this.

Of course, Lewin's comments have yet to be substantiated, but the allegation that Derek Sewell was taken off the case after Tynan contacted Allan Bell is an unfortunate echo of the "unacceptable pressure" the Mount Murray inquiry found was being exerted upon planners by none other than Bell.

Just to quote the findings properly:

"It was the Minister for Tourism, acting in undesirably close alliance with the developer, who ensured that the proposal received planning approval. He did this by applying unacceptable pressure to officers in a weak planning office"

If there has been wrong doing, I doubt the police would be much use. I wonder if the Ministry of Justice and the Select Committee recently charged with reviewing the Island's constitutional relationship with the UK are paying attention.

Edited by VinnieK