Pointless Road Signs

The one up in Maughold always worked for me, where some knob had actually installed a road sign a couple of feet out into the narrow road thus causing an obstruction. Anyone still got the picture?

ETA: Here's the item. Sadly the picture is no longer there.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/new-road-sign-creates-hazard-in-maughold-1-1792036

Edited by woolley
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best sign ever is out Maughold way, a large exclamation mark and the single word "GOATS"

Stolen from the Masonic Hall?

OH saw one that said 'sensitive verge'. We obviously took this into consideration and tried no to say or do anything to upset it.

Posted Images

I am not mad on road name signs which are in English with the Manx below.

That's very true - there are roads which are known by their Manx names, I can think of several, always have been. It is perfectly obvious that they are named in Manx, everyone knows them by their Manx name - & yet some idiot in an attempt to justify their job has decided to translate them into English with a the Manx written underneath.

This makes no sense at all, nine times out of ten the feature/person which the road was named for has been gone for generations & serves no descriptive purpose whatsoever, it is merely converting an English description into Manx or vice versa for the sake of it. If anyone was remotely interested in the naming of a road or an English translation of Manx then they can quite easily look it up - it just leads to confusion when visitors or new residents refer to a road that nobody apart from some highly paid civil servant has ever heard of.

Cue LDV to come back with some wannabe Englishman bullshit cos he thinks it'll make his cock bigger.

There's a sign going up the ballamodha warning of a 'hidden dip', but i've never seen it.

You'll soon find it if you ever try to perform an overtake, you think the road is clear and all of a sudden a car appears. I always wait until after the dip to overtake now because a few times its looked clear and something has been in 'the dip'.

I have to agree, everytime I go past this one (and the one on the way back of course) I have to shout "GOATS" in a Tourettes like fashion - yeh, even on public transport, ha ha

The best sign ever is out Maughold way, a large exclamation mark and the single word "GOATS"

I have to agree, everytime I go past this one (and the one on the way back of course) I have to shout "GOATS" in a Tourettes like fashion - yeh, even on public transport, ha ha

Glad I'm not the only one who does this!

There are goats there. I have seen the sign and wondered, then a few years ago there were goats grazing on the hedge. Don't know why goats warrant a sign whereas sheep and cows don't.

There might be Kids with Nanny and Billy. Goats're more likely to roam into that area.

The most pointless sign I've seen this week is the 50 speed limit heading towards brandish (from the creg)...and not a police presence within 5 miles - why isn't a police vehicle parked conspicuously at brandish?

...not the same can be said for the coast road where, despite the derestricted signs, certain drivers slow to 20mph when one of the umpteen police vehicles comes into view

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed yesterday that the pointless road signs at junctions around the TT course telling us that the course is closed when racing is on now have special covers on them (presumably so people don't get confused and think the road is closed when no racing is on).

There are goats there. I have seen the sign and wondered, then a few years ago there were goats grazing on the hedge. Don't know why goats warrant a sign whereas sheep and cows don't.

Perhaps they could put one outside the house of keys that just says 'KNOB HEADS'

• Like 1