Doing Something You Love

I would prefer to turn up at the gates of hell with my ass on fire personally.

That is the selfish attitude that pisses me off.

The fuck anyone else who might have to deal with the aftermath of my actions...

Do you have kids Silentbob?

Nope, and the people who have to 'deal' with the aftermath of these things are people who have signed up and get paid to do so. You do not take a job in the Road Traffic Police, Ambulance service or Fire Brigade without knowing that RTCs/Racing accidents and myriad of other accidents involving machinery etc where the 'aftermath' is less than pretty may occur.

My point is, we can wrap ourselves in cotton wool and just wait for death to creep up on us, or we can live our lives. I choose the latter.

I wasn't just talking about the emergency services. Its the loved ones you leave behind, I am more concerned about.

I'm glad you don't have kids with your attitude towards you life. Ask any daughter, would you rather you daddy died chasing his selfish, mid life crisis hobby, or stood by your side on your wedding day, I'll wager that they would rather their daddy with them.

They don't die doing what they love, they die as a result of doing what they loved.

Mmm, interesting, the Daughter by the side of her Daddy at her wedding to be 'given away' as if she were merely a possession to be owned and passed from one male to another, oh aye that's something to look forward to, oh and before you go onto another diatribe I have a Daughter as well as two Sons.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. Where've you been? You've been missed.

Get a grip Slim. Riding pushbikes is statistically more dangerous than writing nonsense on t'internet - should that be banned? Should Shimano or Government be censured for allowing people to don Lycra

You haven't mellowed at all, have you?

Mmm, interesting, the Daughter by the side of her Daddy at her wedding to be 'given away' as if she were merely a possession to be owned and passed from one male to another, oh aye that's something to look forward to, oh and before you go onto another diatribe I have a Daughter as well as two Sons.

Not sure what you had been smoking when you typed that...

What about birthdays, anniversaries, family gatherings, hell what about the birth of a grandchild...

Like I said, given a choice between a dead father and a live one......

I think it's very simple;

If your only wish is to stop people doing dangerous things & hurting or killing themselves, there are many, many more productive places to start than the TT.

If your only wish is to stop government spending money on things you find morally dubious, there are many, many more productive places to start than the TT.

If your only wish is to stop government either here or elsewhere putting public money into activities where people may get injured or worse, there are many, many more productive places to start than the TT.

If your only wish is to stop an event which has been around twice as long as you because it causes you some inconvenience, but to save any embarrassment you want to dress it up as concern for the competitors or the morality or extent of government spending on the event, there's probably nowhere more productive to start than the TT. Knock yourself out.

• Like 1

I think that's more to stop white van men who refuse to listen to reason and grannies in Nissan Micras from being hit head on by a bike doing 150mph. Inspector Flint talked a bit about it on Talking Heads yesterday. All about protecting the innocent (if foolish) locals Slim from the mad bikers who practice natural selection - surely you're in favour of that?

Oh I see, it's the regular motorists who are at fault for being on the right side of a road when a biker wants to play at being a racer?

• Like 1

And if you want to be efficient with your time by combining the first three wishes into one then the TT is probably the most productive place to start.

I think Iraq, Afghanistan & numerous other places would combine all three & also be much, much more productive.

Not sure what you had been smoking when you typed that...

What about birthdays, anniversaries, family gatherings, hell what about the birth of a grandchild...

Like I said, given a choice between a dead father and a live one......

Coming across all sanctimonious ain't ya, weird considering you chose to join the armed forces which has a high probability of killing other people, all sounds a bit 'born Again' to me.

As I posted earlier, possibly on this thread I don't smoke but hey ho please don't let any facts get in the way. With regard to the Daughter and Father example, I believe you put Daughter/Father/Wedding together, I merely embellished a little to serve my purpose.

Many years ago, I had to drive the company van as part of my daily routine and time was precious - even getting in at 7:30 a.m to load up and be at the other end of the island for 9:00 a.m meant getting back to Ramsey via the shortest (and quickest) route (mountain Road) didn't occur until maybe 1:00 p.m or later. On 1 trip 'against the flow' I counted 563 bikes just over the mountain and plenty of them were pushing their luck by being over the white lines. It's not something I would do if I had to these days but back then (a decade or so ago) I had less fear or was in just too much of a hurry to get back to my proper work to care.

I like this years campaign on the radio, with the likes of Molly and Connor telling people to ride within their limits and remember the roads are being used by people going about their daily lives - not all of us can put our lives (livelihoods) on hold for TT - some of us need to get out there and earn a living that doesn't come from the TT or its associated side benefits and we should be able to do so freely and safely - the laws of the highway don't get written off for TT and MGP each year.

Whereas the campaigns for world peace throughout human history have been really successful?

About the same I'd say, with the possible exception of Vietnam & arguably Iraq which were more so. In any case I'd question your conviction in the campaign if you can't be arsed because you don't think you'll be successful.

....the laws of the highway don't get written off for TT and MGP each year.

Judging by some of the outstanding driving (/sarcasm) I have seen over the last few days (in and around Douglas), I would have to disagree with you...

Take their plate details and report them then.

Whereas the campaigns for world peace throughout human history have been really successful?

About the same I'd say, with the possible exception of Vietnam & arguably Iraq which were more so. In any case I'd question your conviction in the campaign if you can't be arsed because you don't think you'll be successful.

Question my conviction all you like. You introduced the concept of productivity. How else would you measure the productivity of an activity if not against outcome (successful or not) of said activity?