But you have no way to substantiate your belief,

Says the poster who wrongly claimed that bullfighting had been banned in Spain.whatever.gif

And I was corrected using easily available information. Care to share the wealth of factual information you have pertaining to the actual costs of the TT?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know very little of bull fighting, but I'd be very surprised if it was banned because some English fella moved to Spain to avoid paying tax & objected to it because it inconvenienced him.

Will never happen. Not unless FOI makes a sudden appearance.   Its kind of funny how people staunchly defend an event that for all they know could be ripping them off to the tune of millions every

However, if you really are wanting to know specific costs I think you should ask some questions to people who might be able to actually give them. You never know they might actually tell you. If they hide behind the lack of a FOI act you have a genuine complaint, but without asking you can only make unsubstantiated claims.

But at least I am asking, where as it seems several forum residents are happy to live in blissful ignorance.

But you're not asking anyone who could possibly give you an answer are you?

People on this forum seem very interested when Pinewood was supposedly draining the public coffers. People on this forum seemed very upset about the Sefton and public money being involved. Mount Murray, etc, etc.

Hell we even had a 100+ page thread about some bloke throwing up on a bus....

You mention the TT and all of a sudden no-one seems to give a fuck....

What would be the point? Even if someone proved, beyond any doubt, that it actually was beneficial, you'd simply ignore it and carry on trying to prove that the island would be a better place without the TT.

• Like 1

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just pointing out the fact that you aren't asking the question to anyone who can give you an answer. Ask an MHK or the relevant Government Department and then see how you feel rather than making unsubstantiated claims.

3 points have come out this thread.

The public haven't got the slightest clue about how much of their tax payer funds are being spent on the event, due to lack of disclosed information and lack of oversight.

Elements of the public (judging by the shower on this forum) just don't give a toss how much the event costs, possibly because they gain directly from it or are involved directly in it.

Lastly, the public will never know how much the event is costing them, because I'm willing to bet no-one in a position to ask the question would dare put their neck on the line, because I imagine they would receive a similar response as seen here in this forum.

One last thing to think about...If the public ceased to fund the event, would it still stand on its own two feet....

• Like 1

One last thing to think about...If the public ceased to fund the event, would it still stand on its own two feet....

No, but then again lots of other activities wouldn't.

The problem with your comparison with the attitudes with regards Pinewood and Sefton that in both those cases a handful of individuals who were already wealthy have benefited unjustly, the TT however benefits many directly and indirectly and has fans drawn from across society so many would like to see it continue even if it did lose money or just break even.

The fact is the Isle of Man without the TT would be a very different place if the Film Industry and Sefton Group collapsed it would make very little difference.

The problem with your comparison with the attitudes with regards Pinewood and Sefton that in both those cases a handful of individuals who were already wealthy have benefited unjustly, the TT however benefits many directly and indirectly and has fans drawn from across society so many would like to see it continue even if it did lose money or just break even.

The fact is the Isle of Man without the TT would be a very different place if the Film Industry and Sefton Group collapsed it would make very little difference.

I'm actually in the process of booking 'plane / car / b&b to come over to the rock, one thing I will be doing is arranging/negotiating finance for a small company which is in danger of going broke if the Sefton group can't pay outstanding bills.

Always think about the small man first. And BTW the wealthy investors in the Sefton group have taken a very significant haircut.

Elements of the public (judging by the shower on this forum) just don't give a toss how much the event costs, possibly because they gain directly from it or are involved directly in it.

I don't gain - either directly or indirectly - from it. I don't have any particular interest in it - I certainly don't go to watch any of the practices or races.

I enjoy this fortnight - despite all the inconveniences it brings - because it is the one and only event that really brings this sleepy, torpid little island to life.

Even though it doesn't match the way it was during the halcyon days of tourism, it still provides an element of that excitement and the feeling of pride that so many people - from such a wide variety of places - have not only become aware of the Isle of Man but have been willing to undergo the trouble and expense of travelling here for an event that obviously means a great deal to countless thousands of them.

Most of us - those who aren't blinkered by irritation - are aware that it is possibly the only internationally recognised major event that this island is capable of organising. We are also aware that the gainsayers sometimes have valid points to make because no one is happy to see lives lost or damaged by what is a dangerous competition - but we're also aware that new technologies have gradually begun to reduce some of the risks. We even accept that a degree of inconvenience exists, even though significant steps - such as the ending of early-morning practice sessions - have been taken to try to reduce it.

I am not trying to claim that support for the event is anything like universal - it isn't. What I would suggest, however, is that those local people who would genuinely wish to see it ended are a tiny [but often vocal] minority. Most of the population are indifferent to the actual racing but happy to enjoy 'the atmosphere' that it produces.

My own belief is that the attraction of it will eventually begin to fade - that other events will, sooner or later, prove more appealing and it will ultimately die a natural death from dwindling interest and H&S issues - but that time is a long way off and, if the obvious boost that it provides to so many sectors of the local economy [especially small businesses] does happen to be somewhat greater than the expenditure it causes - then so be it.

Edited by Lonan3
  • Like 1

Well, we know from last years attempt to work this out, that each accident costs in the region of £1 million.

How much do the emergency helicopters cost? And I imagine that would turn out to be the cost to just sit there. As far as a quick search showed, a helicopter costs about £1500 to keep in the air for an hour, which increases with hover time.

How much over time is being charged by the emergency services, above the normal hours they are expected to cover?

How much does it cost to keep all the padding that gets strapped to lamp posts, etc? How much does it cost for the DOI to go out fitting/collecting it (rather than fixing the rest of the Islands roads)?

Who pays for the Tetra radio system that is used during the period? Who pays for the hi-vis jackets of the marshalls? Who stumps up the prize money?

Surely someone somewhere has all this information....

Unless its in someones best interest for the figures being kept under the radar....who is providing oversight on the spending? Judging by the Signature fubar....no-one.

Lets see, nearly all that overtime for public services is helping to support local jobs, is taxed and basically stays in the economy. All the padding for lamp posts has been bought gradually over decades. It is fitted by local workers, supporting local jobs, is taxed and basically stays in the economy. So, the costs are basically revenue neutral. Each year SOME is replaced and improved, which costs.

Prize money is generally sponsered these days, as are the high viz marshals jackets. "The Event" actually raises quite a bit of money from advertising. However, I wonder if the scaffolding company who has signs every 20 feet over the mountain pay anything - they bloody well should!!!

Hotels, camp sites and homestays take in a heck of a lot of revenue over the two (four inc MGP) weeks, as do restaurants, pubs and shops. Who all support local jobs and pay tax.

Even the cost of "Processing" a fatality is mainly local and therefore generally revenue neutral.

It seems one unfortunate cost of the tt is people allowing themselves to be drawn in by a sad and bitter little comeover like Miserable Dog Owner. Out and about this week, I see thousands upon thousands of people interacting, having a good time and spending money. So the thought that anyone should have to justify the tt to this pathetic little piss ant is quite frankly ludicrous. Why not just ignore any posts that have mdo and tt in the topic title and that way it will be a very short thread. Thus with any luck, starved of attention, he'll wither and die.