Sky Signal

cabbyl ushtey

There's something wrong with our tele! Some channels are fine but on others the picture breaks up spasmodically. Has anyone had trouble with their signal or am I looking at the expensive option with a broken tv.

Check the dish / cable. Could be water in the cable, cable could have worn due to wind, dish could be rusty or have blown around in the wind.

We had this problem last month, after several calls to sky, trying all their tips I asked for an engineer, he came two days later and replaced the dish which was a tad on rusty side and its been bob on since. The standard charge is 65 quid. As a loyal customer, however, they waived the fee- which is nice.

It could also be the hard drive going South.

We replaced our box in the end, although I upgraded to a bigger HDD at the same time. As a temporary thing, you can try a Planner rebuild which worked for us for a bit, but you will lose anything you have recorded.

• Press services on your Sky remote control and you will see the main menu with Options highlighted.
  • Highlight the Settings menu using the right arrow button and press select.
  • Press 0 (zero), 1 then select to access the Installer Setup menu (this menu is not listed on the Settings menu options).
  • Use the left/right arrows to highlight Rebuild (this will change to Sky+ Rebuild when reached) and press select.
  • The on-screen message "This will take a few minutes to complete. The rebuild will stop all recordings and reboot your Sky+" will appear. Press select to continue.
  • The on-screen message "Housekeeping please wait" will appear and take up to two minutes to clear. If your Sky+HD box continues to display this message for longer than two minutes please carry out a power reset (below) with the viewing card removed.
  • Once complete your Sky+HD box will switch itself off and then back on automatically displaying the red standby light.
  • Ensure the red standby light on the box has re-appeared, then wait for 3 minutes.
  • Press sky your remote control and the light on your Sky+HD box will turn green

I think it depends a lot on the make as there were several different suppliers (Amstrad, Thomson, Pace). I think for the last few years they have all been 'Sky' boxes so the quality is better? Or certainly more consistent.

But I would say 12+ years isn't a bad effort really.

For us we have a similar problem, turned out to be birds landing on the dish between the dish and lnb. Quick bang on the window solves the problem.

Technical!

Sky is temperamental, the Sky HD boxes being moreso than the others. I've had experience of Samsung, Philips and Amstrad boxes, they all throw hissy fits when they fancy it. Usually, unplugging it, and plugging it back in will give it a fair kick up the bottom, but if that doesn't, the dish is often the culprit...