Graffiti Near The Governor's House

No, I am a massive Adam & Katie fan, love em, he is like James Bond and she is totally 'over there', wicked, love them.

Has he given you a 'GC' smile, ms bees?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They've got a point with the placement though. How much longer can we afford to put up a freeloading English tosser in a multi-million pound house with full staff, car etc. & £90K tax free salary,

The President of Tynwald does indeed get paid the same as a government minister - 50% on top of a Tynwald member's usual £37,822 ie £56,733. For that she has to chair Tynwald which is 11 plus days a

What a way to stick it to the man, shitty graffiti that nobody knows what it means. That will show them

Katie is way smart, she has a funky hair cut (well she did once) and is/was studying some completely random acting thing, her shows are completely off the wall which, is far better than joining in with the usual charity event nonsense and baking cakes. Like I keep saying, Adam is James Bond, for real, what is not to love? The government waste money on far worse things than hiring a couple of beautiful people to represent us.

It seems strange that the governor is just a pretty face, he's a smart man. When they got rid of the governor as president of Tynwald & Legco did that make new jobs for other people? Was it like, once 1 person was paid to do the job and now there are 3 separate payments? I don't know, does the president of Tynwald get paid?

Katie is way smart, she has a funky hair cut (well she did once) and is/was studying some completely random acting thing, her shows are completely off the wall which, is far better than joining in with the usual charity event nonsense and baking cakes. Like I keep saying, Adam is James Bond, for real, what is not to love? The government waste money on far worse things than hiring a couple of beautiful people to represent us.

It seems strange that the governor is just a pretty face, he's a smart man. When they got rid of the governor as president of Tynwald & Legco did that make new jobs for other people? Was it like, once 1 person was paid to do the job and now there are 3 separate payments? I don't know, does the president of Tynwald get paid?

I like your honesty bees and it is a fact of life that most successful people are attractive, not very PC but the truth. pinch.gif

Off out now to start my night shift cleaning toilets........................

Good point about the 3 jobs, I dont know but was the President position not created for one of the islands "royalty"

I like your honesty bees and it is a fact of life that most successful people are attractive, not very PC but the truth. pinch.gif

Psychology studies have demonstrated that people, on an subconscious level, have a tendency to perceive attractive people to be more competent, which gives such people an advantage in career and social advancement. Now, before any civil servants go out for plastic surgery in the hopes of climbing the ladder, being perceived as competent is only an advantage in an organisations which values competency. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

[...] When they got rid of the governor as president of Tynwald & Legco did that make new jobs for other people? Was it like, once 1 person was paid to do the job and now there are 3 separate payments? I don't know, does the president of Tynwald get paid?

The President of Tynwald does indeed get paid the same as a government minister - 50% on top of a Tynwald member's usual £37,822 ie £56,733. For that she has to chair Tynwald which is 11 plus days a year (not August or September but February is always two days minimum because of the budget. They usually manage to cram the business into one day, though they may have to sit into the evening to do it. There are also various ceremonial things such as Tynwald Day, meeting foreign dignitaries etc, but she doesn't have any departmental responsibilities or sit on investigating committees etc.

She does also chair the Legislative Council (I don't think the President did when the role was first created) which does meet 21-22 times a year - usually at the same time as the Keys. It tends not to sit for as long though (there are rarely any questions for example) and the last three sessions only lasted 39 minutes, 45 minutes and 15 minutes. I get the impression that Madame President used to get a bit ratty if they were actually forced to sit after lunch, though that didn't happen much and things seem to have got even speedier since Eddie Lowey retired.

When in Tynwald she gets to dress up in fancy robes and a full-length wig, (which coupled with the salary often leads me to refer to the job as the 'Minister for Silly Wigs') though given that the post was only invented in the late 1980s, why she should need to dress up as a particularly camp 18th century judge is rather beyond me. If we must be historical, something contemporary with then, such as shoulder pads, would be more fitting.

It's never struck me as a particularly onerous job and I can't really see why the Governor shouldn't do it as well, to save us all that money and horsehair. Obviously he should only have a casting vote to be used according to precedent with similar rules to the way that the Speaker of the House of Commons does. Anyone appointed to be Governor here will already have the skills to do this rather limited and ceremonial job well enough and at the moment we just seem to have the current LGs hanging around with nothing much to do.

The whole post was basically a bit of fake Manx nationalism to get Charlie Kerruish out from under their feet, and given that we are going to be stuck with a non-Manx, UK-appointed LG for a long while (Turks and Caicos killed any change there) we might as well make use of him/her.

• Like 2

No, I am

a massive Adam & Katie fan, love em, he is like James Bond and she is totally 'over there', wicked, love them.

Has he given you a 'GC' smile, ms bees?

So I should take that as a 'yes;' then?

Edited by Lonan3

Roger,

"why she should need to dress up as a particularly camp 18th century judge is rather beyond me. If we must be historical, something contemporary with then, such as shoulder pads, would be more fitting."

The "Joan Collins in a 80s Power Dress" look?

I love it..................

Get a Stetson on Alan and Eddie for the full effect too.

Well, so you say MANANNAN but, whose idea was it to get rid of him from Keys? Obvs these changes were not to get rid of Adam coz, the decisions were made at the turn of the last century and in the 60's & 80's. My point (which you seem to have completely ignored) is, the Governor is an intelligent man, why do we need to pay 2 extra people to do a job he is more than capable of? It's quite amazing, imagine that, a bunch of shop keepers and ex middle managers not wanting a clever man keeping an eye on their antics....nothing new then.

So, we are not British now? You must see how 'not like the rest of them' they are, surely? I love em and wholly support their being here.

I'm not British or American or any of those things LDV, I'm just a me some times I say "I'm Manx" for people who may be interested know whereabouts I was born but that is all, I'm not hugely patriotic (at all, ever). People seem to need to belong to some group with a label on, let em get on with it. I loved EDL at a recent party I was at (English Disco Lovers) not all labels work hahahahahaha.

• Like 1

No, I am a massive Adam & Katie fan, love em, he is like James Bond and she is totally 'over there', wicked, love them.

I detect one of Ms Bees's gentle wind ups here but obviously nobody else does. Katie is definitely "over there". She certainly doesn't seem interested in being "over here".

It's quite amazing, imagine that, a bunch of shop keepers and ex middle managers not wanting a clever man keeping an eye on their antics....nothing new then.

Well of course that's the Governor's basic job in any case. So where he's sitting is completely irrelevant. I think MANANNAN and LDV missed my point, which is we're not going to be able to get rid of the post or get it 'Manxified' any time soon. The various British overseas possessions will probably be more politically sensitive in future and as I hinted the need for the Governor of the Turks and Caicos to take over in 2009 made it unlikely that the UK will want to stop having someone on the ground any time soon.

The only way to get rid of the Governor will be complete independence and even if the UK allowed it, I think most people on the Island would be against it. So given that the situation won't change and we can't do anything about the cost of having a Governor, we might as well make use of what we've got rather than waste a lot of money giving another member of the Manx establishment another non-job.

All that having a separate President of Tynwald does is allow Manx politicians to pretend that the Island is more independent than it actually is.