Graffiti Near The Governor's House

Really? How so? I thought his job was to look pretty and open shows n things.

I wish people would stop thinking I'm joking, I am NOT. I do like the queen and the governor and all that kind of thing, they're crappy jobs I would not want but it's all a bit of a show innit?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They've got a point with the placement though. How much longer can we afford to put up a freeloading English tosser in a multi-million pound house with full staff, car etc. & £90K tax free salary,

The President of Tynwald does indeed get paid the same as a government minister - 50% on top of a Tynwald member's usual £37,822 ie £56,733. For that she has to chair Tynwald which is 11 plus days a

What a way to stick it to the man, shitty graffiti that nobody knows what it means. That will show them

I didn't miss your point. I didn't read your post, although it isn't getting what I am getting at.

I completely agree about what you say on the difficulty of getting rid of him, as he comes with being a crown possession. But he IS a symbol of this relationship.

Oh my god, no! Me? A traitor? How can you say that, I like the queen and the governor and the Isle of Man, there is nothing traitor like about that......unless you're talking about the time I tried to let the French people take over the Calf of Man but I was sure that didn't really happen.

If you're manx and you want the British (English) imperial presence to remain over here to remain then you are totally a traitor.

This reminded me so much of a character in Skyrim with the Nords and the Empire...

Well, so you say MANANNAN but, whose idea was it to get rid of him from Keys? Obvs these changes were not to get rid of Adam coz, the decisions were made at the turn of the last century and in the 60's & 80's. My point (which you seem to have completely ignored) is, the Governor is an intelligent man, why do we need to pay 2 extra people to do a job he is more than capable of? It's quite amazing, imagine that, a bunch of shop keepers and ex middle managers not wanting a clever man keeping an eye on their antics....nothing new then.

Are you serious? This is supposed to be a representative democracy, not a geniocracy. We're meant to be REPRESENTED, not LORDED over by some tosser 007-wannabe. Edited by Thomas Jefferson

I was just saying.....he's clever and that, more than could be said of some of our current buns, innit?

Bravo! Clever, good looking. Nice wife. Just get rid of the rest and let him run the show. Blimey, think of the money we could save by having the Lt Gov just sign the Westminster Acts into Manx Law and cutting out the middle man multitude.

Edited by woolley

I was just saying.....he's clever and that, more than could be said of some of our current buns, innit?

I haven't met him so I'll take your word for it. I still think the UK should pay ihis salary, though, since it's them he represents.

It acknowledges the Island's appreciation of the Crown. A kind of tribute if you like.

Bravo! Clever, good looking. Nice wife. Just get rid of the rest and let him run the show. Blimey, think of the money we could save by having the Lt Gov just sign the Westminster Acts into Manx Law and cutting out the middle man multitude.

To be fair this option is about as democratic as our current system, and would certainly streamline the whole process.

As it is, his role is almost wholly symbolic. But he symbolises different things to different people, and some people are having trouble understanding why anyone can be so against him on any other grounds that financial ones (the fact that he's a waste of money in lean times). Isn't it just a bit of harmless pomp and ceremony? For a lot of people I think he symbolises the British establishment that has ruled the Island for over 5 centuries and the social aspirations that encouraged many Manx people to abandon their native culture in favour of ingratiating themselves with this British establishment. It's an establishment which has not always treated the Manx people fairly, yet still presented one of the few means for social or economic betterment.

When your country is ruled by a foreign power with a foreign culture who effectively run the whole show, your best hope for getting along is to assimilate yourself with that culture. This means dropping your native language, way of life, and way of thinking in favour of the foreign one. This is the background to which the gradual death of the Manx language and culture took place.This is a very sore loss for a country. Without its culture, what is left of a people except their sovereignty? And we barely have that. We have been almost completely assimilated.

Until reforms took place in the early 20th century the governor was basically an autocratic ruler on the Island. His role was similar to that of the Lords of Man before him; a ruler of a province with feudal responsibility to the British Crown, the responsibility to raise taxes for the Crown, the suppress the natives, and keep the province in the Crown's possession. Though he no longer has these responsibilities, the governor nonetheless is symbolic of that role.