Tt Photography - Hissy Fit

NikoB

I noticed an interesting post on Facebook this morning by somebody calling themselves Isle of Man TT 2013 - I'm assuming that this isn't a official rep of the ACU or whoever.

What a load of cobblers though.

ARE YOU SUPPORTING THE TT PHOTOGRAPHY BLACK MARKET?

WE HOPE you have enjoyed reading this page over the last month. In the last two weeks we have posted dozens of articles, and thousands of top quality photographs which are available to order.

Today there are any number of so-called "photographers" who have bought a half-decent camera and then decided to become "a photographer", often selling their pictures for pennies, or giving them away for nothing.

This industry relies on professional people, putting in long hours of work to make a living. By supporting us, the quality of photography at the TT will remain at the very highest standards. If you support "photographers" who sell their pictures for pennies, or give them away, it will kill our business.

We are offering a CD of 100 of our top hi-res photographs for just £10, including postage anywhere in the British Isles (overseas extra). This is an extraordinarily reasonable price to pay for many decades of professional experience. Please support us.

We know there is a TT photography black market out there today. If you support it, the standards in the future can only crash.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=445337105562790&id=404486072981227

• Like 1

I write and give away Software - lots of it, value at least 75k per year.

When I am back on the rock (and it'll be very soon) I will be taking photos and will give them away. Some will be good, some very good, others rotten.

This is the way the world is, the FB poster will just have to accept it.

The Internet has changed everything. Stop bitchin'.

• Like 1

We are offering a CD of 100 of our top hi-res photographs for just £10, including postage anywhere in the British Isles (overseas extra). This is an extraordinarily reasonable price to pay for many decades of professional experience. Please support us.

We know there is a TT photography black market out there today. If you support it, the standards in the future can only crash.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=445337105562790&id=404486072981227

Saw that too, he got a bit of a shock with the replies too I think. I like the part where he complains people are selling images for pennies, then goes on to offer his photos for 10p each.

There's going to be more of this kind of thing as more jobs automate. The best pics I've seen from TT aren't from pro photographers, they're from people with phones who've caught the unexpected as it happened. Everyone's got a camera, pro level stuff is cheap, publishing is free and you don't need a darkroom and chemicals to develop the shot. The same will be true of driving, of writing copy, of diagnosing health problems and performing surgery, of answering questions relating to your account,.. Lots of disruptive technologies just around the corner, it won't just be photographers having a hissy fit.

• Like 1

Lots of disruptive technologies just around the corner, it won't just be photographers having a hissy fit.

It'll be survival of the fittest. Photographing bikes isn't exactly difficult, as you say it's the right place at the right time that makes a difference.

• Like 1

I love looking at all the TT photos, but it does get pretty tedious having to sit/stand with most of the audience having cameras. I was up at Signpost yesterday and most of the people there all had massive cameras, well massive lenses. It made it quite hard to see anything with all these people waving these things around everytime they heard an engine!

Signpost is boring - Ballacraine onwards to the Creg is much better smile.png

BTW if the light is decent you just don't need the big 400mm/f2.8 etc., a lens such as my 400mm/f5.6 is more than good enough. I'll probably buy the 70-200mm/f2.8 sometime.

I can't understand how people with long lenses get enough in the frame, I remember going to Norway once and needed a 24mm on the slr (pre-digital) to get the size of the mountains and waterfalls in the shot !

ps

doesn't the use of 'TT' in their name need a licence ?

Edited by Tempus Fugit

It's a great way of destroying any credibility he may have had, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I quite like this reply of his:

Isle of Man TT 2013 If you want to settle for cheap (or free) and nasty then that's up to you. The photography industry will be regulated soon enough . . . watch this space . . . .

• Like 1

It's a great way of destroying any credibility he may have had, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I quite like this reply of his:

Isle of Man TT 2013 If you want to settle for cheap (or free) and nasty then that's up to you. The photography industry will be regulated soon enough . . . watch this space . . . .

The suggestion that photographers can and should be regulated is completely stupid. Those in favour compare things like Corgi for gas regulation, but ignore the fact that such regulations are for safety, not job protection.

Anyone can take a picture. If you take a great picture consistently, perhaps you might be able to sell your work if there's demand. If you can't, it's not the hobbyists that are to blame.

• Like 1

Hmmm, trying to visit that site John and this pops up:

This is probably not the site that you are looking for!
You attempted to reach www.isleofmanphotos.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as *.homestrategic.info. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.isleofmanphotos.com.
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.
Proceed anyway Back to safety

its isleofmanphotos.com and that is Bill Dale

He could do with some advice - no prices, vague information about his cottage for sale. Pics are nice, I think he has a decent lump of glass in his possession.

Sell yourself matey!

• Like 1