Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
majin

Help Buying Car With Provisional License

Hi all.
Im about to buy a car and i only hold a provisional license driving.
Im waiting to go on theory test but i really wanted to buy this car.
Its it possible to buy car, and also possible to apply for house resident parking permit?
Cheers..

Have you checked out insurance and things like that? If you buy the car in your name you shouldn't have any problems getting a parking permit, all you need is 2 lots of proof you really do live where you live and the log book (retro woman, I do not know what they call it now) of the car (iirc).

Nothing to stop you buying the car if you can afford to insure it, but you need a full license to apply for a house resident parking permit

park_zps1bd240cf.jpg

Edited by RamseyMike

Hmmm I don't remember them wanting my license but I have had the permit for over 10 years and my memory has been known to fail :)

It's probably because with a parking permit you're supposed to move your car every 24 hours (or something like that, check the small print).

You will have no problem buying the car just make sure when you drive it home you have insurance for it and obviously your not driving unless supervised

Pass your test 1st, buy a banger and learn how to drive it, maintain it and what it costs to run. Earn your own no claims on the cheaper insurance costs and work your way up to the car you really want in a few years. You gain loads on road experience, save a fortune, and when you do bend it, which you will, it's not going to cost you a packet to sort out and get back on the road. If you go fully comp on a smaller cheaper car you are not going to loose that much money on a cheaper motor when it gets bent. Write off a 7 grand roller skate on a tpft policy and you've done your money. If you've saved hard for it there will be tears at bedtime. If you get a loan to buy it, on a tpft policy it's going to cost you 14 grand to get the same sort of car again. Banks don't write the loan off if you write the car off.

• Like 1

Pass your test 1st, buy a banger and learn how to drive it, maintain it and what it costs to run. Earn your own no claims on the cheaper insurance costs and work your way up to the car you really want in a few years. You gain loads on road experience, save a fortune, and when you do bend it, which you will, it's not going to cost you a packet to sort out and get back on the road. If you go fully comp on a smaller cheaper car you are not going to loose that much money on a cheaper motor when it gets bent. Write off a 7 grand roller skate on a tpft policy and you've done your money. If you've saved hard for it there will be tears at bedtime. If you get a loan to buy it, on a tpft policy it's going to cost you 14 grand to get the same sort of car again. Banks don't write the loan off if you write the car off.

Thanks for that mate, i was going to buy a nice cheap saxo vtr and then do a bit of work like e always dream of doing it but i guess im going to have to wait, ive already scored 43 questions out of 50 on the theory home test, so i guess its quite good right?

Cheers mate :)

Mid-high 40's you want to be ideally aiming for on the theory test. As for the hazard perception section don't try to memorize where the hit markers are because the actual test uses different videos.

You don't have to have a driving licence of any kind to buy, or even be the registered owner of a car

sad.png so sad, i went to check my saxo vtr, wanted it so bad.now i cant!!!sad.png

Plenty of Saxos VTR's around, don't pay any more than around £600 for a good one a list of common faults i've found whilst owning a few :

Rear axle bearings : when looking behind the car if the rear wheels seem to be squatting at an angle its probably the bearings that have gone, jack the car up and see if they wheel(s) rock this normally means a new/recon axle, anywhere from £150 to £300 to replace.

Rocker gasket : haven't seen an 8v that doesn't leak a little bit, but check the oil level regularly.

Head gasket : Really sweet smell from exhaust when running, white smoke (coolant), mayo in the oil cap.

Heater matrix : pain in the ass to replace, make sure the heater works!

Sun roof - I haven't had one that doesn't leak, but feel the carpets because if its wet it could be the heater matrix or the sunroof.

Check for accident damage, due to the lift off oversteer it catches a few people out!, do not lift off the throttle mid corner because you will end up on 3 wheels which is great fun until you get it wrong! smile.png

If you must have a Saxo majin, you'd be a lot better off with a 1.5D for a first car.

i had this girl from port erin, she has a saxo vtr red, asking price 500quid, the car looks and sound briliant, needs a good clean and some parts but damn i love that car, i could spend 2k just in parts just to make it the way i like it and i wouldnt mind, i love that car, hope one day ill get to have one and start to do bits on it..

i had this girl from port erin, she has a saxo vtr red, asking price 500quid, the car looks and sound briliant, needs a good clean and some parts but damn i love that car, i could spend 2k just in parts just to make it the way i like it and i wouldnt mind, i love that car, hope one day ill get to have one and start to do bits on it..

They're awesome little cars, but save the 2k towards a better car, perhaps a VTS when you want more power (should get a nice one for around 1k)