Hedge-Cutting Has Been Hit By Government Cutbacks.

Thomas Jefferson

Leonard Singer, the MHK with responsibility for highways in the department, said: ‘We have to recognise that there is simply less money available for some services and the department has faced tough choices in prioritising its expenditure.

Source: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/cuts-mean-a-cut-in-cuts-1-5808070

It seems everything is being cut except for the one thing which would really make a difference --- their salaries.

In the last few weeks, blue collar public sector workers have been asked by Whitley Council to vote anonymously between the following options: A) no pay rise and no threat of redundancies; or B) a pay rise but threat of possible redundancies. I don't understand how they can promise to not have redundancies if people vote against a pay rise.

When will the white collar workers have to make the same choice? If you're not going to cut their salaries, at least put a stop to the percentage pay rises.

Hoorah!!

Another person who sees the issues with percentage pay rises.

The bigger salaries attract the larger increases and the poor get fack all in comparison with an increasing gap between the two year after year.

Just make house owners/users responsible for their own hedges and footpaths and add another stealth tax on those who don't or something similar.

Perhaps not such a good idea to allow foliage to obscure traffic signs as is happening in some areas.

It never used to be the farmer's responsibility, the old highway board used to have a gang working with an open top bus

trimming trees & hedgerows.

• Like 1

Bookbloke wrote it "Work parties. Prison. See the connection?"

I agree with work parties, they happen all the time in England

Why should they watch television, go to the gymnasium, get three meals a day, play on their playstations whilst everyone else is working their backsides off to make a living.

I thought the DOI were looking to take on prisoners to help them out in these areas? What's happened? I've been told that the unions got involved and stopped it - can anyone confirm that?

Perhaps not such a good idea to allow foliage to obscure traffic signs as is happening in some areas.

It never used to be the farmer's responsibility, the old highway board used to have a gang working with an open top bus

trimming trees & hedgerows.

That would have been before the countryside care scheme though? Before farmers were paid to keep the countryside tidy.

Something I have to ask, even though I think I know the answer anyway -

Should the councils cut the grass verges/ sidewalks/ lanes etc or should they be left alone to save tax payers money?

Yes to cut

No to leave alone

Leonard Singer, the MHK with responsibility for highways in the department, said: ‘We have to recognise that there is simply less money available for some services and the department has faced tough choices in prioritising its expenditure.

Source: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/cuts-mean-a-cut-in-cuts-1-5808070

It seems everything is being cut except for the one thing which would really make a difference --- their salaries.

In the last few weeks, blue collar public sector workers have been asked by Whitley Council to vote anonymously between the following options: A) no pay rise and no threat of redundancies; or B) a pay rise but threat of possible redundancies. I don't understand how they can promise to not have redundancies if people vote against a pay rise.

When will the white collar workers have to make the same choice? If you're not going to cut their salaries, at least put a stop to the percentage pay rises.

do you mean this,even this commie rag understands! no more free meals

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jun/26/public-sector-workers-lose-automatic-pay-rise

do you mean this,even this commie rag understands! no more free meals

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jun/26/public-sector-workers-lose-automatic-pay-rise

It's funny you should say "commie", because I feel that is exactly the sort of system we have in the Isle of Man. On the one hand, you've got the private sector bringing in all the revenue, but then you've got this humongous bureaucracy of communist overlord commissars who redistribute the revenue into their own pockets and rule over us.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Something I have to ask, even though I think I know the answer anyway -

Should the councils cut the grass verges/ sidewalks/ lanes etc or should they be left alone to save tax payers money?

Yes to cut

No to leave alone

Does Cliff conduct too many surveys?

No - For No

Yes - For yes