Onchan Village Flags

Why arn't there any Manx Flags flying in Onchan Village this year? They normally put them up in TT week and leave them up for the rest of the summer months

Rob Callister must be trying to save the ratepayers money, so we will vote for him in the next General Election for the Keys

Maxmann,

At this moment in time I have NO intention of standing in the next General Election.

Hand on heart that decision can only be made after the next local election, which I am totally focused on.

To get back to the topic, the Board reviewed the cost for hiring the hoist and the amount couldn't be justified, so they reduced the number of flags to two, which should now be in place.

Rob what was the cost of the hoist?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They never looked anything but extremely tacky.

He seems to have been saving money by not getting the grass cut in a few of the parks.   Though they're actually doing the one in Lakeside today for the first time in over a month. That'll probably

A bit like swastikas in Germany in 1939

Posted Images

Matt,surely my idea is less about communism as Im saying it should be up to the individual,not the state.I spend a few quid and lots of hours making my garden respectable,I would rather each person put up flags,plant flowers,put up xmas lights,etc than have the Onchan commisioners layabouts doing it.

He seems to have been saving money by not getting the grass cut in a few of the parks.

Though they're actually doing the one in Lakeside today for the first time in over a month. That'll probably be the last time this year mind.

Hi Ron,

I can only my apologies for the grass cutting, there has been a few small issues with the contractor.

I hope these have now been resolved.

The contractor should undertake 15 cuts over the summer months.

I thought the commissioners stopped sub contracting the grass cutting 2 or 3 years ago to save costs, and that it was now done by commissioners staff?? What do you mean therefore by a few small issues with the contractor? I dont recall seeing the tender in the press for contractors to cut grass again? Be interested to know?

why do you need a hoist, a large pair of step ladders or a small ladder. the holders are only about 10/14 ft of the ground on the properties. is this h&s totally got crackers. taken the p-ss comes to mind.

What you say Paul on the face of it is reasonable but it is not how health and safety compliance works in the workplace.

Yes a ladder instead of a hoist would be cheaper but it is not as safe and now that hoists are readily available on the island, their use is "reasonably practical"

You have to look at it from the Commissioners point of view, if one of their employees fell from a ladder putting up the flags they would be in big trouble. Never mind the person injured or worse.

Why arn't there any Manx Flags flying in Onchan Village this year? They normally put them up in TT week and leave them up for the rest of the summer months

Rob Callister must be trying to save the ratepayers money, so we will vote for him in the next General Election for the Keys

Maxmann,

At this moment in time I have NO intention of standing in the next General Election.

Hand on heart that decision can only be made after the next local election, which I am totally focused on.

To get back to the topic, the Board reviewed the cost for hiring the hoist and the amount couldn't be justified, so they reduced the number of flags to two, which should now be in place.

Hi Andy,

Not sure of the top of my head but it went into thousand's - just for one day!

That's health and safety for you

Edited by Rob Callister

Matt,surely my idea is less about communism as Im saying it should be up to the individual,not the state.I spend a few quid and lots of hours making my garden respectable,I would rather each person put up flags,plant flowers,put up xmas lights,etc than have the Onchan commisioners layabouts doing it.

I don't think I have been described as layabout before!.....

He seems to have been saving money by not getting the grass cut in a few of the parks.

Though they're actually doing the one in Lakeside today for the first time in over a month. That'll probably be the last time this year mind.

Hi Ron,

I can only my apologies for the grass cutting, there has been a few small issues with the contractor.

I hope these have now been resolved.

The contractor should undertake 15 cuts over the summer months.

I thought the commissioners stopped sub contracting the grass cutting 2 or 3 years ago to save costs, and that it was now done by commissioners staff?? What do you mean therefore by a few small issues with the contractor? I dont recall seeing the tender in the press for contractors to cut grass again? Be interested to know?

The small issue related to the grass not being cut in Birch Hill last month.

I will need to double check the sub contract position.

Maxmann,

Hi Andy,

Thousand's for one day...did you try Hoistline.....less than a grand for the day...maybe next year then eh?

I used to think the flags looked ace. Made me feel all patriotic like.

Happy Tynwald eve Yessir's.

A bit like swastikas in Germany in 1939stuart.gif

Chips cheese and sour kraut doesn't have much of a ring to it fella.

Maxmann,

Hi Andy,

Were the MEA and Douglas Corp considered as service providers? They both have hoists.

Maxmann,

Hi Andy,

Were the MEA and Douglas Corp considered as service providers? They both have hoists.

As do the DoI