Returning Goods To Shop

In my experience there are pretty much two types of returner.

Type one see no reason why shops shouldn't take back worn clothes with deodorant marks and openness packaging and so just buy stuff, take it home, try it, and return about a third of what the buy.

Type two never return anything, ever. They make sure they want it before they buy it. Worst case you give it to a family member of friend.

I've seen people in B&Q returning light bulbs for £3 because they'd ken the wrong one up! Why should the retailer swallow their stupidity? Or tins of paint because they picked up three then decided the didn't like the colour. I've got a mate who returned a laptop after a week because the increase I performance over his old one didn't justify the cost. No fault with it other than he didn't research it properly.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mrs Peas bought a pair of 'sale' shoes in Curphys the other day. After trying them out at home, decided they weren't the best fit. On taking them back to the shop, was told cannot return sale items,

You are only entitled to a cash return if shoes were unfit for purpose. She tried them before buying, are they really unfit or just her bad choice?   If her bad choice you aren't entitled to anythi

I'm sure they will be gutted that a customer with such unreasonable expectations from a shop (who returns shoes because they didn't try them on properly?) won't be bothering them again.   Why should

In my experience there are pretty much two types of returner.

Type one see no reason why shops shouldn't take back worn clothes with deodorant marks and openness packaging and so just buy stuff, take it home, try it, and return about a third of what the buy.

Type two never return anything, ever. They make sure they want it before they buy it. Worst case you give it to a family member of friend.

I've seen people in B&Q returning light bulbs for £3 because they'd ken the wrong one up! Why should the retailer swallow their stupidity? Or tins of paint because they picked up three then decided the didn't like the colour. I've got a mate who returned a laptop after a week because the increase I performance over his old one didn't justify the cost. No fault with it other than he didn't research it properly.

Then you should open a file for a third category. The one where a shopper can't read a sign because it's hidden by boxes, and the shop doesn't tell you at the till you can't bring it back. Would it be such an effort for the person taking the money to make sure you knew the score? There are more categories than you have in your experience, although you did say 'pretty much'. Already got 14 bidders on eBay, so may even come out of this in profit. Girls love shoes !!w00t.gif

Already got 14 bidders on eBay, so may even come out of this in profit. Girls love shoes !!w00t.gif

Could be the start of a new business empire. Will you take them back if they don't like them?

Edited by woolley

Already got 14 bidders on eBay, so may even come out of this in profit. Girls love shoes !!w00t.gif

Could be the start of a new business empire. Will you take them back if they don't like them?

Of course not.

Same situation for me with treads / curpheys

I found I got a result by going nuts and kicking one of their stands over.

Full refund straight away and they threatened to call the police (really scary / not )

Give the goods to me I'll get the money back!

So threatening behaviour and criminal damage is ok?

As said above, your only right to return goods is where they are not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality- ie broken. That applies whether or not the goods are in a sale. Kicking off may bully them into a refund but you aren't in the right.

So threatening behaviour and criminal damage is ok?

As said above, your only right to return goods is where they are not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality- ie broken. That applies whether or not the goods are in a sale. Kicking off may bully them into a refund but you aren't in the right.

Only legally-recognised right.

I wasn't making a point. I was just reminding everyone that rights are not rights by virtue of being the law; they are the law because they are our rights. Consumer rights which have been passed into law aren't necessarily the only consumer rights we have --- they're just the only ones which are legally recognised. I would also say consumers have a right not to be ripped off, but that's not a right recognised by the law.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Same situation for me with treads / curpheys

I found I got a result by going nuts and kicking one of their stands over.

Full refund straight away and they threatened to call the police (really scary / not )

Give the goods to me I'll get the money back!

Going nut and kicking one of their stands over? I don't believe. Why would anyone want to pretend or draw attention to the fact that they have a very bad mental health issue in public?

• Like 1