Bog Cotton

alibaba

It's superb this year, loads of it about. Heading towards the Round Table looking towards Cronk Ny Arrey Laa it looks like a mild snowfall. Awesome.

I agree it looked wonderful up there as we came over from Glen Maye on Sinday, I wondered what it was until we stopped and had a closer look.

Does it have any uses at all?

According to: http://www.virtualheb.co.uk/bog-cotton-white-wildflowers-western-isles.html

Candle Wicks - Pillows - Wound Dressings

Bog Cotton - or Cotton grass used to be used in the past for making the candle wicks and also for stuffing pillows. It was even used in wound dressings during the first world war.

Does it have any uses at all?

According to: http://www.virtualheb.co.uk/bog-cotton-white-wildflowers-western-isles.html

Candle Wicks - Pillows - Wound Dressings

Bog Cotton - or Cotton grass used to be used in the past for making the candle wicks and also for stuffing pillows. It was even used in wound dressings during the first world war.

Interesting information

Edited by Moghrey Mie

Such suspicious minds wink.png

Because there are a lot of peat bogs in Ireland I would imagine there is a lot of bog cotton. A lot of my family live on the west coast and they are a frugal and resourceful lot, living off the land and what not. Bet they are all over this.

Do we think there area any laws against picking it locally to stuff our own pillows? whistling.gif

I rode over the mountain from Kirk Michael to Brandywell today, and just beyond the turn off for Ballaugh Glen, I noticed many strange white "flowers". Never seen these before. For probably the next 2 miles, I saw many thousands, and slowed down to try to see what they were, and decided they must be some sort of cotton. On the way back, I stopped the 'bike, and my wife went and picked one just by the roadside. Tonight I searched the web, and then found what looked like them in John Dog's pages of Manx wildflowers. A search for "Bog Cotton in the Isle of Man" brought me here, so I am satisfied that they are in fact Bog Cotton. Not sure how long it would take to collect a "pillow's worth", but I guess it would be comfortable to use.

Here is a thought. Are there any edible fungi likely to be found in the same location?

OldLes.