Onchan Park Vandalised

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was at the young musician of man today. Some fantastic performances by truly talented and hard working kids. Guy afterwards in his little speech said it was proof that music was from god; it was that

Remember proper parks with witches hats and concrete. Roundabout that carried on spinning after you stopped pushing and with a gap underneath to get your leg trapped in.   Those running barrel thin

I was decapitated on one of those old roundabouts.   Never did me any harm.

Posted Images

I seriously can't believe this, we were up their yesterday evening, why the hell would anyone vandalise a child's playground I don't get it, a playground is for children so what have children done to warrant a moron defacing their place?

£100,000? Fuck me, you don't get much for your money. I'm not sure I quite believe this story. I don't know about the swings, but I went there shortly after it opened with a friend and her kids, and I would say the slide was poorly designed or installed. It's built in tubular sections which bolt together, and the final section ie, at the bottom of the slide, was unsupported apart from the bolts joining it to the previous section. I noticed at the time that it was starting to fail because of the stresses of kids engaging in expected high jinks. I suggest it wouldn't have failed if this section had been further supported on the ground. I sense an imaginary scapegoat.

• Like 1

The new parks pretty rubbish compared to the old one. All seems aimed at younger kids, which sucks as Onchan has very little for the older ones now.

I had a bleat at the commissioners asking why there's no skate or bmx park in onchan when pretty much every other area has one. I got a reply to say they're selling Keynons and using the money to make a new youth club. There's already three youth clubs that I know of in onchan, not sure if the new one is replacing one of those, but I do wonder if they've actually asked the young what they want.

@MTP

I agree that for £100k there didn't appear much for the money, yes it was an improvement on the old one with the zip wire and new climbing fort and the rubber bases and a lock of paint everywhere else but other than that not a lot.

Fully agree that the money would be better spent on an outdoor facility. Get the kids outside instead of playing ping pong or whatever it is they do inside at youth clubs these days. Trouble is Slim, that it they're indoors at a youth club they're invariably making less noise than they would outside - and that pleases the residents I guess. Time for some major change with regard to young people.

A youth centre would seem to appeal to a certain kind of kid, but there's plenty who don't want to be reliant on adults and opening hours. Fustrating that Onchan spends so much on leisure facilities, motorboats, pitch n putt, swings, etc, but that skate and bmx parks which have shown to be popular with the older kids aren't featured.

Fully agree that the money would be better spent on an outdoor facility. Get the kids outside instead of playing ping pong or whatever it is they do inside at youth clubs these days. Trouble is Slim, that it they're indoors at a youth club they're invariably making less noise than they would outside - and that pleases the residents I guess. Time for some major change with regard to young people.

A youth centre would seem to appeal to a certain kind of kid, but there's plenty who don't want to be reliant on adults and opening hours. Fustrating that Onchan spends so much on leisure facilities, motorboats, pitch n putt, swings, etc, but that skate and bmx parks which have shown to be popular with the older kids aren't featured.

There's miles and miles of beautiful countryside to hang out and get drunk in. What more do they need?

• Like 1

With the Skate Park it's always been a case of where it could be located. They aren't the quietest things and to have one too close to residential housing wouldn't be very fair to live nearby. The one at Nobles, is well away from houses, same with the new one at the Strang and the one at Peel. I'm sure the Commissioners would welcome suggestions as to where in the village to it could go, so that it's within easy reach of users but also far enough away from residential developments so that it doesent become a nuisance.

One place I can think of is at the bottom of Ashley Hill School Field.

post-3176-0-52556700-1373621999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Katman