Groundwork / Block Paving Advice Needed

About 4 years ago, a close friend of mine started a landscape gardening business, and my wife and i asked for a quote to have our driveway block paved so we could fit both our cars on. So, work was done and paid.

However, i was coming home yesterday and was about to pull onto my upside down "L" shaped driveway where my car parks and i noticed that where my car has been sat it has sunk down by at least an inch.

Obviously this is very worrying for my wife and I as we paid a considerable amount of money for the driveway. So i rang my friend who did the work and he told me not to worry and this is very common on driveways and is an easy fix, simply pull up the bricks, smooth out the sand below and re seat the bricks.

I rang my dad and he told me this was nonsense, and was probably due to the driveway not having enough hardcore put down or not being whacked down enough. He says his drive is 13 years old and his Mondeo / saloons have always parked on exactly the same place and he has absolutely no dip whatsoever. In no uncertain terms he says it's simply down to the quality of the work

Can someone please give me some advice, as i think the business is no longer trading, although the website is still up and running.

The guy is a close personal friend of many years and i really value his friendship, but i obviously can't afford (and shouldn't have to) end up forking out thousands to fix this

If someone has a contact who would be willing to come up and give their professional advice it would be much appreciated

thanks

get him round for a bite to eat and a few beers, ask him what it needs and ask him to give you a hand to get it level again. If he is a good pal he will supply the tools and you'll have a great laugh doing it together. If he is still trading/in the job, he'll have the materials too.

I'm not a professional but that sounds completely normal to me, most driveways i've seen dip where the wheels normally sit, parking in a different spot every time would be best for longevity.

About 4 years ago, a close friend of mine started a landscape gardening business, and my wife and i asked for a quote to have our driveway block paved so we could fit both our cars on. So, work was done and paid.

However, i was coming home yesterday and was about to pull onto my upside down "L" shaped driveway where my car parks and i noticed that where my car has been sat it has sunk down by at least an inch.

Do what X-in -man said, ok yes they could have done a better job but every job can be done slightly better. If he's a good mate and it's lasted 4 years a bit more sand under the blocks on top of the already compacted ground beneath should last longer now the settlement has taken place.

Take one or two bricks up, look and see what's underneath. If sand / gravel look further and see whether it's hard-core or just earth.

Take a picture, post here.

It could be just sand or light gravel on earth.

I'd check if there is any adjacent drainage ,( eg blocked rainwater gully which could have resulted in the sand/ subsoil being washed out by water surcharging and finding a run of least resistance. Otherwise agree with "jim"

Ground with a good hard sub base will not sink if put in properly. If the sub base is not put in right then sinking will occur. This nonsense with lifting a few bricks and puttin a bit of sand in is bollox! That's the problem you probably have "to much sand" not enough hard standing!

As far as I know, block paving is done differently if the area's going to be used for a car park, compared with say light foot traffic. I think it needs a load of hard-core which is impacted prior to sand, then the bricks, then a dry-mix. Perhaps it wasn't done to parking standards.

• Like 1

As far as I know, block paving is done differently if the area's going to be used for a car park, compared with say light foot traffic. I think it needs a load of hard-core which is impacted prior to sand, then the bricks, then a dry-mix. Perhaps it wasn't done to parking standards.

A sub base is the key load bearer, so it's crucial to get it right, 100-150mm of type 1 then your sand, all whacked firm, should hold good! If a jobs worth doing do it right! As he said in the opening post he/has there car/cars on it.

Edited by yee haa yessir!

Do what X-in -man said, ok yes they could have done a better job but every job can be done slightly better. If he's a good mate and it's lasted 4 years a bit more sand under the blocks on top of the already compacted ground beneath should last longer now the settlement has taken place.

The sand isn't the key load bearer the sub-base is, ie type 1. Sand won't help it probably just sink when reinstated again

Ok tell him he's a twat for doing a shit job for a mate get the whole lot ripped up and start again, employing someone else to do the job for shed loads more cash.

Depends what's more important at the end of the day a nice looking drive or a close personal friend.

Like I said if he's happy to come round and level it with sand and it for another 4 years and you remain mates all's good. I think personally I'd go for that option, chalk it up to experience and don't get mates to do jobs in future as it inverably ends up in this situation.

• Like 1

Ok tell him he's a twat for doing a shit job for a mate get the whole lot ripped up and start again, employing someone else to do the job for shed loads more cash.

Depends what's more important at the end of the day a nice looking drive or a close personal friend.

Like I said if he's happy to come round and level it with sand and it for another 4 years and you remain mates all's good. I think personally I'd go for that option, chalk it up to experience and don't get mates to do jobs in future as it inverably ends up in this situation.

I wouldn't like to see a friendship lost over something like this either, as above, a good repair would see it out for a while. If you had the job done on mates rates then alls not lost! I am a bit of a perfectionist and like things I do and get done for me done to a good standard!

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for

Was the work guaranteed? You'll be lucky to see anyone come back after that length of time

...and if your friendship was as close as you say you would have broached the subject with him already instead of broadcasting to the world first

Every time you post on here your complaining about the neighbours from hell who knocked down the garden wall and rebuilt it, but not to your standard. Then there was the saga of the air coditioning in your Merc which you did not want to pay for after the garage fixed it.Four years is along time to go back on anyone. There could have been oil wagons or similar backed onto it in the last four years and you have just noticed it now. Just to cheer you up I have seen cases on older properties where the compaction plate has broken the clay underground drainage pipes after laying paviors causing all sorts of serious problems

Every time you post on here your complaining about the neighbours from hell who knocked down the garden wall and rebuilt it, but not to your standard. Then there was the saga of the air coditioning in your Merc which you did not want to pay for after the garage fixed it.Four years is along time to go back on anyone. There could have been oil wagons or similar backed onto it in the last four years and you have just noticed it now. Just to cheer you up I have seen cases on older properties where the compaction plate has broken the clay underground drainage pipes after laying paviors causing all sorts of serious problems

Hardly fair. The wall took seven months to get rebuilt. I was told the air con would be the cost of a condenser @ £200 and then a few hours labour to fit @ £60 per hour. I then received a bill for £1300.

It would be impossible for an oil wagon or any vehicle larger than a saloon to get around the corner on my driveway.

Thanks to those with sensible answers. He says he will try and get up next week to take a look so fingers crossed

Mal48, I hope you don't have the problems i have experienced, and if you do, i wonder if you will take such a blase attitude, when you're having to find money to sort them out. Not having a go, i just think it's easy to have a pop on a forum, without understanding the whole story.

Edited by somewhatdamaged