Botanical Gardens

Matt Bawden

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a wonderful idea.

There is a sneaky suspicion that this could be a back door way to get a nice large house built. After a few years the gardens will be shut down due to "lack of interest/not commercially viable etc" reasons.

Mr Shuttleworth would need to setup a permanent trust or similar which will ensure that this can be kept for the Manx Nation in perpetuity.

Why not sort out the gardens on the back road to Laxey? Is this the place that used to be a memorial garden for the wife of a doctor from Ramsey (Sliue Dew or something like that - he died a couple of years ago)? I noticed those gardens (on the back road somewhere around about Foxdale and Crosby....could be Santon...yeah...I'm ace at the Isle Of Man) have been sold and are now displaying a "Private Land" sign :( We used to go there, it was lovely and peaceful.

Why not sort out the gardens on the back road to Laxey? Is this the place that Thereused to be a memorial garden for the wife of a doctor from Ramsey (Sliue Dew or something like that - he died a couple of years ago)? I noticed those gardens (on the back road somewhere around about Foxdale and Crosby....could be Santon...yeah...I'm ace at the Isle Of Man) have been sold and are now displaying a "Private Land" sign sad.png We used to go there, it was lovely and peaceful.

There were some gardens in Glen Roy that used to be open to the public until the owner died a few years ago. I think his wife may still be there.

Also a beautiful arboretum was created on the road to St Marks by Dr Wadsworth in memory of his wife.He devoted many hours to developing it. It was left to the Hospice and was sold off. I'm not sure who bought it. Presumably that's where the Private Land sign is now.