Which Router Should I Choose

Folks

I have a Netgear N150 (supplied by MT) at home running standard ADSL unlimited bundle. I'm finding its now not really up to the job as there are to many devices running in the house at any one time now. I'm not that network savvy but have hard wired two 10/100 routers which supply TVs and the likes plus some wireless.

I don't want to upgrade the package but just make the most of what I've got. I have been given a Netgear DG834N and a TP-Link TD-W8951ND and wonder which is the better of all three.

Alternatively is there a different router I could buy that someone knows will make a big difference.

Cheers for any advice

I rang MT when resetting the router (forgot my logon details) and explained I was also getting lag etc on the likes of iplayer, games etc if more than a couple of devices were in use. He described the N150 as a 'granny router' and not really up to the job of a family home. He suggested the N600 (£100) but someone else tells me that the adsl fitting I have for the 150 wont fit this.....plus its a lot of Wonga. I will spend the money if I know I would get a vast improvement.

Another vote for Fritz Box .. Mine takes pretty much anything I can throw at it .. and also handles our DECT phones routing calls across VOIP or landline depending on which is cheaper.

TP-Link gear has been pretty solid from my experience, especially for the price. I'd try that before messing around with your netgear kit.

The Fritzbox also gets my vote. Wimanx are dishing out the right router for the job. It's never given me any trouble whatsoever, and that's with everything being streamed around the network. It also looks somewhat like a shark, which must mean it's pretty cool.

I'll recommend Billion routers to you as have been previously recommended on these forums: http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54238-best-adsl2-router/

They are very good at holding a stable sync speed on a noisy line (compared to my 'old' Netgear DGN2000 and 834GT). The wireless signal is pretty good at getting around thick Manx stone, I get a good signal all around our house too.

Not cheap, mind...

I think cheap (or picking from existing kit) was the idea, the N150 has caused me plenty of headaches in the past. The 834 series as a whole was good, but the N version used a different, and from what I recall, more problematic chipset. I've also had high-end Netgear stuff, the DGN3500 was great, when it worked, but it needed a good thrashing half the time.

Draytek is really good, but better for large businesses etc. Even most small businesses don't need dual WAN capability etc.

The Fritz does port redirection too, which is useful for grumpy programs that don't want to be moved to a different port. (Apache mixing with Owncloud comes to mind).

I had a Billion router which I found unreliable (you can have it if you want it). I replaced it with a much cheaper TP-Link WG8960N which works perfectly.

what sort of coverage and size of house do you have ?

I have a netgear DG834N which is terrible. Poor wifi coverage (ironically branded rangemax), DHCP kept going down on it, when you reboot it has to be off for 10mins otherwise the power light goes red and it wont boot.

I disabled DHCP and Wifi and plugged a TP LINK WR1043ND into it as an access point and DHCP, this works ok but i have recently found that TP link needs regular reboots and it doesnt cover the whole house (covers 3 floors but doesnt go into the rooms that have supporting walls)

I have TP Link powerline plugs as well and these seem ok but the TP link doesnt work well when plugged into them, Netgear in my office -> Powerline -> TP Access point providing wifi (AP loses internet connection and needs reboot to reconnect)