Memories Of Port Soderick

Irihwasa, this image is from the same place that your earlier photo was linked .

I initially thought this was Port Grenaugh but the buildings in the background suggest otherwise.

73646d1346130328-historical-multihulls-v

What a monstrosity, I bet there were no technical drawings. Did it float I wonder.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funnily so did I and Now i know who owns it I intend to ask the landowner if i can take a small digger on the beach and clean out the pool and refill it with water once i locate the feeder and drain .

I too have many happy memories of Port Soderick and I loved the paddling pool when I was small, I'm the smallest one in these pics at Port Soderick, sadly I'm the only one left.   In my postcard/ph

These are all pics showing the southern walkway it went quite some distance round the base of the cliffs I think the Dragon Rock was the southern most point.

Posted Images

The reason I mention Port Grenaugh is I seem to remember a large Catamaran being hauled up the beach there on tracks or skids after being built at Soderick.

I'm a bit unsure that it was the same boat that Nick Keig built .

From what I remember....It was hauled up on to the beach at Port Grenaugh for outfitting, then towed to Douglas to be Craned out of the water to allow fitting of the rudders and then fitting of the 90 foot mast...after which a short sea trial was carried out ..... there is a little bit on page 3 here>> http://www.goldenoldies.biz/KC%20For%20The%20Record%20-%20Kelsall%20Catamarans.pdf

Edited by Digga

What a monstrosity, I bet there were no technical drawings. Did it float I wonder.

No, there were no drawings - just some rough sketches on the back of a fag packet. Turns out that the middle hull didn't even touch the water! Sank just off the Tower of Refuge and broke up. If you go out and look at a very low tide you can still see one of the engines wedged in the rocks .....

No, there were no drawings - just some rough sketches on the back of a fag packet. Turns out that the middle hull didn't even touch the water! Sank just off the Tower of Refuge and broke up. If you go out and look at a very low tide you can still see one of the engines wedged in the rocks .....

Similiar design to the Seacat then?

some great photos of Port Soderick, here i took some the other day...

About 5 years back I was down there at dusk with two terriers keeping the long tails at bay. A van pulled up and a chap and young lad got out and attached a rope from his tow bar and looped it around on of the lamp standards on the promenade; then drove away breaking the light from its attachment. They did this three times in all. All as I hid behind the calor gas tank - now removed.

Unfortunately they heard my dogs and discovered me. The 'avoid' aspect of (Avoid, Block, Punch, Break, Maim, Kill) was no longer an option as I was at the northern end of the prom I had no escape save for a couple of hundred steps up toward the top car park.

From his physical size, tone and actions 'block and punch' were non starters. No, matey boy wasn't going to be pacified and a brief physical altercation occurred. I made my brisk escape down onto the beach and over the Crogga river into the Glen.

Sad to report he had a Manx accent and his van was licenced to a Manx registered company.

Fabulous photos though Keristal, I too remember the yellow awning outside the Anchor.

Does anybody remember the Stabit construction yard/field just off the Oakhill cutting? No remains of it now. I have a few photos if someone can explain how to load them.

Cheers...TBT

I used to fish on the rocks quite close to Port Soderick, Gob liach or something, but the farmer built a large wall and gate to stop people from coming in to get to the place.

The place used to have a rope to get down to it, but I understand that the farmer has built a ladder with a cage around the ladder.

It was great for congers and the usual fish etc... pity

Can he stop people from fishing that area?

The eccentric was Arthur Hall. A great character. He told me he liked to dive down to a cave by the old oyster beds and come up inside the cave in complete darkness and silence, where he enjoyed a pipe of tobacco. They don't make em like Arthur any more.

• Like 1