Iom Farmers - Driving The Tractor

is wondering if IOM farmers would be affected by the new European directive that could limit the time farmers spend on their tractors to less than one hour a day?

Apparently:-

Health and safety measures for whole-body vibration (WBV) limits were introduced in 2005 to protect workers from risks to health from vibrations. However, these are only to become mandatory next year for farm machinery built before 2007 when an exemption expires in July.

Are IOM farmers exempt if we are not in the EU?

Looks like a potential huge cost to IOM farming if farmers to have to buy new and up to date tractors without being able to claim EU allowances and subsidies.......

aha would hope not but then we have the CS zealots who need to justify their jobs by introducing and enforcing such garbage....so I can see it happening and IOM farmers losing out...be interesting to hear what farmers have to say.....

The EU law may not apply here but I would say that as insurance companies are in the main, EU based, they will be the ones who insist on this to save them paying out fortunes in the future to employees of farmers.

Just because we are an "independent" island does not mean we can ignore modern developments in workplace safety precautions and to be honest why would we want to? Do we want to see people injured by just doing their job?

• Like 1

No, long term exposure to vibration is not good for the human body, see "white finger" which is well documented as a result of using hand tools that vibrate.

I really dont understand why people still think it is Ok to let employees do dangerous or injurious tasks.

Its not big or hard, its stupid, and doing things properly i.e. safely is more profitable so WTF is the issue?

No, long term exposure to vibration is not good for the human body, see "white finger" which is well documented as a result of using hand tools that vibrate.

I really dont understand why people still think it is Ok to let employees do dangerous or injurious tasks.

Its not big or hard, its stupid, and doing things properly i.e. safely is more profitable so WTF is the issue?

But driving a tractor for less than an hour a day? Really?

Would the same apply to professional racing driver or test driver who must be under more vibration and stress than Giles on his Massey Ferguson pootling around a field?

Jesus don't let the bus drivers know about vibration and health and safety, they'll be swapping drivers over half way to Ramsey.

There may well be a lot of the usual anti-EU paranoia going on here together with the equally usual desire of farmer's declare how hard done-by they are in any given situation. Certainly looking at a piece in Farmer's Weekly on the regulations, although it says "Critics have warned that this could restrict the time that farmers can spend in their tractors to less than one hour a day" there doesn't really seem to be much in the way of detail about that 'could' and I suspect that unless your tractor is made up entirely of salvaged pneumatic drills it probably won't apply. Certainly anything built in the last decade will probably be safe under the new regulations.

Farmers will have had nine years to get ready for the change (it doesn't come in till next July) and I suspect anyone who uses their tractor intensively enough to fall foul off the new guidelines will be using newer or more compliant machinery. If only because anything older will probably have fallen to pieces before now. Probably along with their body.

In any case it is unlikely to apply in the Island. Although there could be insurance implications, those would probably apply even if there were no specific regulations. Along with most EU regulations (and most health and safety), it's probably just applied common sense with a bit of extra science, though admittedly by the time things have gone through Whitehall and Prospect Hill things may be different.

What about us poor plebs that have to drive on these roads every day, have you driven into Port Erin? I've heard of chubbers that were still wobbling up to a week later!