Ramsey Bakery

IOMRS97

Nothing wrong with White & Healthy I've just used half a loaf to putty in 2 panes of glass.

I remember trying to find out if 'white and healthy' and other RB bread contained hydrogenated fats. I was suspicious because some of their wholewheat products listed it in the ingredients but some didn't. I thought it odd that they'd have such a different whole wheat recipe so when I asked I was told there wasn't any food labelling regulations in the IOM and they could pretty much list what they want, and they didn't always list the fat content.

This was a few years ago though, and things might have changed. They do still put quite a bit of fat into their breads and use emulsifiers and flour treatment agents.

Bit alarming, and if it's still true it's a benefit of buying imported bread is that what's on the label is what you're getting. You can't check RB's ingredients on their website either, it has nothing at all on it. They could certainly make more of an effort there!

I like bread, I love it's simplicity and the complexity you can add to the flavour through technique rather than chemicals. Tesco white bread's ingredients:

"Wheat Flour,Water ,Yeast ,Salt ,Spirit Vinegar ,Soya Flour ,Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Acetyltartaric Esters of Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids) ,Rapeseed Oil ,Palm Fat ,Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid)"

The bread I'm just about to bake (after a 24 hour prove):

Flour, Water, Salt.

Guess which tastes better?

All this mention of home baked bread is wanting me to invest in a bread maker, can just imagine the smell of bread coming out of the oven... smile.png

Don't. I've had a couple until I learned how to make my own, and I reckon if I can do it anyone can. A good mixer is a big help, mix, plop it in a tin, let it rise and bake. Couldn't be easier.

Don't. I've had a couple until I learned how to make my own, and I reckon if I can do it anyone can. A good mixer is a big help, mix, plop it in a tin, let it rise and bake. Couldn't be easier.

Agreed. Bread machines that I've used tend to give varying results in the bake and were a bit hit and miss. Oven baked bread seems to have worked better for me.

If Jim Duncan reads this I would think he could make more money from libel actions that from baking bread.

And as for selling it at £1 rather than £1.60, what is the point of that if it costs £1.30 to make? Get more business? Yes? Go out of business? Yes again.

Jim?, is that you ?

+1

Nothing wrong with White & Healthy I've just used half a loaf to putty in 2 panes of glass.

I remember trying to find out if 'white and healthy' and other RB bread contained hydrogenated fats. I was suspicious because some of their wholewheat products listed it in the ingredients but some didn't. I thought it odd that they'd have such a different whole wheat recipe so when I asked I was told there wasn't any food labelling regulations in the IOM and they could pretty much list what they want, and they didn't always list the fat content.

This was a few years ago though, and things might have changed. They do still put quite a bit of fat into their breads and use emulsifiers and flour treatment agents.

Bit alarming, and if it's still true it's a benefit of buying imported bread is that what's on the label is what you're getting. You can't check RB's ingredients on their website either, it has nothing at all on it. They could certainly make more of an effort there!

I like bread, I love it's simplicity and the complexity you can add to the flavour through technique rather than chemicals. Tesco white bread's ingredients:

"Wheat Flour,Water ,Yeast ,Salt ,Spirit Vinegar ,Soya Flour ,Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Acetyltartaric Esters of Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids) ,Rapeseed Oil ,Palm Fat ,Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid)"

The bread I'm just about to bake (after a 24 hour prove):

Flour, Water, Salt.

Guess which tastes better?

Slim are you sure that Ramsey Bakery bread contains hydrogenated fats?

I noticed you also mentioned it in the old thread, I just have a real problem with it and I dont want to put that crap in my body. I stopped the family using Elmlea "cream" because it contains the stuff, as you know this stuff is not nice and AFAIK our body's cant cope/ digest/ break it down and it just builds up in your system. Might as well use old engine oil to fry your chips.........

How sure are you that the bread contains it?

If Jim Duncan reads this I would think he could make more money from libel actions that from baking bread.

And as for selling it at £1 rather than £1.60, what is the point of that if it costs £1.30 to make? Get more business? Yes? Go out of business? Yes again.

Jim?, is that you ?

+1

Jim?, is that you ?

Certainly not. I'd be preparing the writs by now if it was.

Try to keep up at the back.

White&Healthy ingredients listed on packaging as follows:

Unbleached untreated Manx flour,Water,Wheat Fibre,Vegetable Fat,Yeast,Salt,Soya Flour,Emulsifier(E472e),Flour Treatment Agent-Ascorbic Acid(Vitamin C)

It also states on the packaging: We have eliminated all animal and hydrogenated fats from our bread and rolls to ensure we provide you with our healthiest possible breads

• Like 2

White&Healthy ingredients listed on packaging as follows:

Unbleached untreated Manx flour,Water,Wheat Fibre,Vegetable Fat,Yeast,Salt,Soya Flour,Emulsifier(E472e),Flour Treatment Agent-Ascorbic Acid(Vitamin C)

It also states on the packaging: We have eliminated all animal and hydrogenated fats from our bread and rolls to ensure we provide you with our healthiest possible breads

Thanks Lisenchuk, I did not look at the wrapper as I gathered from this thread that the packaging did not have any ingredients listed. rolleyes.gif

E472e description and source from wiki:

diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono- and diglycerides) is an emulsifier primarily used in baking. It is used to strengthen the dough by building a strong gluten network. It is used in crusty breads, such as rye bread with a springy, chewy texture, as well as biscuits, coffee whiteners, salsa con queso, ice cream, and salad dressings.

LINK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DATEM