Child Obesity Escalating Out Of Control

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/more-concern-over-islands-obesity-problem/

"Levels of obesity in Manx youngsters are understood to be as dangerously high as any region in the UK."

Instead of expensive NHS programs, why not just get Fat Felix and Lard Arsed Lisa to, you know, move more? Less playstation, more outside play. Less 4x4 school run, more use a bicycle and enjoy the beautiful fresh air and little traffic?

Obesity is based on laziness and junk food, right?

• Like 2
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/more-concern-over-islands-obesity-problem/   "Levels of obesity in Manx youngsters are understood to be as dangerously high as any region in the UK."   In

Those megabelly fat kids just need a bit more bullying to make them want to lose weight.

So let's say a fat kid decides he's too porky and decides to exercise and eat a bit less. His mum, dad, aunt, grandma, probably all fat themselves, tell him he's wasting away and needs to eat more, a

Posted Images

Instead of expensive NHS programs, why not just get Fat Felix and Lard Arsed Lisa to, you know, move more? Less playstation, more outside play. Less 4x4 school run, more use a bicycle and enjoy the beautiful fresh air and little traffic?

Obesity is based on laziness and junk food, right?

The article is from the sports development officer who's saying exactly what you are, that kids need to be more active and they're running programmes for kids referred to by GP's. In other words, what expensive NHS programme are you bleating about?

No numbers then? "Understood". Nearly as pointless as "research has shown that."

I've yet to be in a school that has more than one fat kid per class. That means that there is a school I haven't visited where they're all morbidly obese, isn't it?

Every week when I was at school about 10 years ago, there was 2 to 3 hours of 'Games, and PE for an hour during the week. I presume this is still the case - That doesn't stop obesity but it helps.

obesity isn't based on lack of sports. thin kids just tend to excel at sports. sport doesn't create thin kids.

i thought everyone knew this now? obesity is based on calories consumed. this isn't a sports issue. i do a LOT of exercise but only cutting back on what i eat will cause me to lose any weight

i blame kellogg crunchy nut clusters - it wasn't sugary enough, so they added chunks of chocolate? now we have saturated fat as well.

Edited by Mr Shoe

obesity isn't based on lack of sports. thin kids just tend to excel at sports. sport doesn't create thin kids.

i thought everyone knew this now? obesity is based on calories consumed. this isn't a sports issue. i do a LOT of exercise but only cutting back on what i eat will cause me to lose any weight

i blame kellogg crunchy nut clusters - it wasn't sugary enough, so they added chunks of chocolate? now we have saturated fat as well.

I don't agree with this at all, there's quite a lot of time and effort gone into research that proves that participation in sports does lead to better weight control, eg:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18316660

"An after-school team soccer program for overweight children can be a feasible, acceptable, and efficacious intervention for weight control."

I don't think it's the whole picture, but it can certainly form part of the solution. Personally find sports participation a good motivator for weight control, so it's not necessarily just the physical exercise that's keeping the weight off, but the desire to perform well helping the diet as well.

I don't agree with this at all,

I doubt there's anybody, anywhere who agrees with that.

It's a balance of calories in and calories used.

I also don't agree with people saying there are no more fat kids than there were years ago. There's 30 years between me and my eldest, and any one of 7 in his class at school would have stood out in my class at the same age. A couple of them are pretty active as well, so I dread to think what crap they get fed.

Personally find sports participation a good motivator for weight control

totally agree. and i know you're also a cyclist, but burning off 1000 calories on a hard ride leads to rest and replenishment which pretty much cancel out (from a weight loss perspective) the gains made. great health though. but we're not talking about health, we're talking about obesity.

this idea that a brisk walk to school or a few weekly gym sessions will change you from obese to slim is nonsense. the vast majority of calories used is keeping your blood/body at 37 degrees and just living

its simply too cheap/easy to rack up 5,000 calories in a day for your average westerner.

• Like 1

Personally find sports participation a good motivator for weight control

totally agree. and i know you're also a cyclist, but burning off 1000 calories on a hard ride leads to rest and replenishment which pretty much cancel out (from a weight loss perspective) the gains made. great health though. but we're not talking about health, we're talking about obesity.this idea that a brisk walk to school or a few weekly gym sessions will change you from obese to slim is nonsense. the vast majority of calories used is keeping your blood/body at 37 degrees and just livingits simply too cheap/easy to rack up 5,000 calories in a day for your average westerner.

I think you mean 'Great fitness though.' Health actually is what we're talking about.