Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Declan

... Where Aleph The Sacred River Ran ... Down To Sunless Sea

Meanwhile the Government is letting a Bond Villian build his lair in Port Erin.

http://m.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/government-gets-behind-4-5m-plan-to-redevelop-former-pool-1-6033838

I don't know anything about this character but a high capacity hotel in Port Erin would be a very good thing. Not everyone wants to stay in a horrible town like Douglas.

• Like 1

"It’s really good sanity check, it got flying colours from the minister."

HAHAHAHAHA

http://m.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/government-gets-behind-4-5m-plan-to-redevelop-former-pool-1-6033838

I don't know anything about this character but a high capacity hotel in Port Erin would be a very good thing. Not everyone wants to stay in a horrible town like Douglas.

If they need a hotel in Port Erin couldn't they build it in the Hotel shaped hole on the Prom, rather than on some rocks only accessible by boat and tiny footpath.

• Like 4

Two threads - and both titles incorrectly quoting Kubla Khan!

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran....
  • Like 1

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan

I think one of the OP's probably had to answer the door in the middle of bashing it out. The other has probably been sucking on the lotus. I don't know either of them well enough. Wasn't Aleph one of Ali Baba's forty thieves ?

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan

I was going to point this out - however, I only know the name of the river from Rush's epic track Xanadu from the album 'A Farewell to Kings'. Iron Maiden did a version of one of Coleridge's other works, 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner'

Amazing what rock music teaches us.

The other thread started first. I thought about talking about this subject in that but thought it was a bit too much off topic. And remembered subsequent lines had an aquatic theme.

(Think I confused my spelling with the Borges story Lonan)

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan

Who would have guessed Manx Forums was home to so many experts on 13th century Yuan dynasty literature?

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan

I think one of the OP's probably had to answer the door in the middle of bashing it out. The other has probably been sucking on the lotus. I don't know either of them well enough. Wasn't Aleph one of Ali Baba's forty thieves ?

Then the rabbi said, "Golem, you have not been completely formed, but I am about to finish you now...You will do as I will tell you." Saying these words, Rabbi Leib finished engraving the letter Aleph. Immediately the golem began to rise." From The Golem by Isaac Bashevis Singer with illustrations by Uri Shulevitz.

Then the rabbi said, "Golem, you have not been completely formed, but I am about to finish you now...You will do as I will tell you." Saying these words, Rabbi Leib finished engraving the letter Aleph. Immediately the golem began to rise." From The Golem by Isaac Bashevis Singer with illustrations by Uri Shulevitz.

That was a great X Files episode.

• Like 1

Aleph is also used as a character to represent various infinities in Cantor's cardinal arithmetic. Aleph-null is the usual, regular infinity of the natural numbers. The next highest infinity is aleph-one. The continuum hypothesis is that the cardinality of the real numbers is aleph-one.

So TJ, not just 13th century literature, but higher maths in this thread also!

I really hope this comes off and the hotel is built, it is a wicked concept.

The Bond Lair part is the attraction of it; imagine if you want to go for a meal and the only access is via a speed boat; picked up in a limo from the airport and taken to the wharf? in Port Erin - wow!

That is something different, very different, that people would travel a long way for, if the food and accomodation is first class.

It really is a no brainer for the planning etc. Why on earth would anyone be against this? You cant even see the site from most places. How far can crabby attitudes go toward messing up a bloody good idea and a huge private investment?......................................

• Like 1