Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Declan

... Where Aleph The Sacred River Ran ... Down To Sunless Sea

It really is a no brainer for the planning etc. Why on earth would anyone be against this? You cant even see the site from most places. How far can crabby attitudes go toward messing up a bloody good idea and a huge private investment?......................................

What about parking? It doesn't seem to have any and if they think people will only come by boat they are deluded. I think that the whole scheme is pie in the sky stuff, I'd put money on the guy behind it only wanting Government support so he can put some nonsensical value on the land. Even if planning is granted it will never happen.

• Like 1

Meanwhile the Government is letting a Bond Villian build his lair in Port Erin.

http://m.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/government-gets-behind-4-5m-plan-to-redevelop-former-pool-1-6033838

I really hope this comes off and the hotel is built, it is a wicked concept.

The Bond Lair part is the attraction of it; imagine if you want to go for a meal and the only access is via a speed boat; picked up in a limo from the airport and taken to the wharf? in Port Erin - wow!

That is something different, very different, that people would travel a long way for, if the food and accomodation is first class.

It really is a no brainer for the planning etc. Why on earth would anyone be against this? You cant even see the site from most places. How far can crabby attitudes go toward messing up a bloody good idea and a huge private investment?......................................

Ignoring the fact that you can't even half fill a hotel that you don't have to access at high tide by speed boat here already. Great plan, spectaculary cashflow negative after 12 months would be my guess. But as long as no taxpayers cash is invested who cares at the end of the day - but I sense a promised grant round the corner as its such a fucking stupid idea.

Edited by hboy
  • Like 1

Burgh island seems to survive without the need for emergency vehicle access.

What I really want to know is will there be fricking Dolphins with lasers on their backs swimming around the pool?

imagine if you want to go for a meal and the only access is via a speed boat; picked up in a limo from the airport and taken to the wharf? in Port Erin - wow!

Yes, exactly, I was just saying to Mrbees the other day how it was high time we played James Bond and got a speed boat out to dinner. It wouldn't be very good for us really, he gets sea sick. Nice to talk about though :)

Meanwhile the Government is letting a Bond Villian build his lair in Port Erin.

http://m.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/government-gets-behind-4-5m-plan-to-redevelop-former-pool-1-6033838

I don't know anything about this character but a high capacity hotel in Port Erin would be a very good thing. Not everyone wants to stay in a horrible town like Douglas.

If they need a hotel in Port Erin couldn't they build it in the Hotel shaped hole on the Prom, rather than on some rocks only accessible by boat and tiny footpath.

But that would mean another bland set of apartments couldn't be thrown up in place of a grand Victorian building...

• Like 1

One of those ideas where, from politeness, you say, 'Great idea, why has no one else thought of it ?'. While secretly hoping that it never gets off the ground.

Yey more pie in the sky from puffin developments of who ever they are now. This is a regular thing happens every year or so, last time they were going to build container sized rooms and lower them over the edge by crane. They've invested heavily recently iwith cool hard cash and bought a rew tins of paint to give the place a make over, looks ace now.

What ever happened to the grand Castletown plans with flap gates and homes with moorings?

I quite fancied one of those, with the Riva parked outside the patio door, a quick squirt round to Port Erin for chips cheese and a sprint back in time for a few in the downstairs bar in The Ship.

What about parking? It doesn't seem to have any and if they think people will only come by boat they are deluded. I think that the whole scheme is pie in the sky stuff, I'd put money on the guy behind it only wanting Government support so he can put some nonsensical value on the land. Even if planning is granted it will never happen.

Don't be so negative, they could easily solve the access problem by building a monorail from the airport to Trae Meanagh drive which would avoid the crap road into Port Erin and then a funicular railway down to the hotel, all with government financial assistance of course, it would probably require a bale out at some point in the future anyway, literallybiggrin.png

• Like 1