Countryside Care Scheme

RonnieD

The wildlife aspect of the grants is a joke. I watched a large farm here develop facilities for horses, in doing so ripping up a huge amount of mature hawthorn hedgerow and decimate a wildflower meadow with heavy machinery whilst fencing fields off for no obvious purpose ! No doubt in receipt of grants to do so.

The original intention of such grants to farmers has long been lost and the legislation manoeuvred to keep payments up to farms who are as far from food production as you could possibly get. The taxpayers don't get good value for their 6.5 million a year and much of it could be better spent !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I find it distasteful when a 200 acre plot of land, owned by a multi millionaire is in receipt of CCS allowance when there is nothing produced onsite.  Worse still, the land is completely private, sealed off from the public, much to the annoyance of those who wish to walk the Raad ny Foillan coastal path.  All well and good having a countryside care scheme, but what's the point if the public can't enjoy the benefit of it?!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Doitonce said:

I find it distasteful when a 200 acre plot of land, owned by a multi millionaire is in receipt of CCS allowance when there is nothing produced onsite.  Worse still, the land is completely private, sealed off from the public, much to the annoyance of those who wish to walk the Raad ny Foillan coastal path.  All well and good having a countryside care scheme, but what's the point if the public can't enjoy the benefit of it?!

I don't think the public are meant to enjoy the benefit of it just the opposite in fact.

27 minutes ago, finlo said:

I don't think the public are meant to enjoy the benefit of it just the opposite in fact.

Clearly.

So, in this case, there is no financial assistance required for the landowner, no production from the landowner, and no benefit to the public who support the cost of this owners property upkeep, and all of this under the umbrella of the named 'Agricultural Development Scheme', or should that be the 'Millionaire Freeloader take the piss out of the taxpayers and IOM Government scheme' ...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doitonce said:

Clearly.

So, in this case, there is no financial assistance required for the landowner, no production from the landowner, and no benefit to the public who support the cost of this owners property upkeep, and all of this under the umbrella of the named 'Agricultural Development Scheme', or should that be the 'Millionaire Freeloader take the piss out of the taxpayers and IOM Government scheme' ...

or just "landowning parasite" perhaps?

Edited by paswt
  • Like 1

Can anybody tell me how the payments are worked out ?

From what I've heard, it is a matter of he who shouts loudest gets the biggest pay out. He who shouts loudest plays at being the big landowner/modern farmer, but in reality does just play at it and receives 6 figures every fucking year for it. Boils my piss. Quayle should hang his head low handing out these gifts, especially as he is a major recipient.( I am told )

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gettafa said:

Oh come on Dilli, no one is suggesting he (or his family and friends?) are a major recipient. And are you seriously not bothered about a wealthy landowner receiving £3,000 of taxpayers money a week.

Odd.

Yes, I am very bothered by these payments. 

They should be stopped ASAP. Compulsory purchase land that these moaners say is not viable and let it to those capable of making some money and producing some "produce".

Far too many farmers and farms for the size of the island to make them all profitable, so buy 'em out and let those that can do, farm.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

I'd suggest that the CCS is too close to the hearts of the local establishment and string pullers for it to be rescinded or given up easily. A cow (no pun intended) most sacred indeed. It won't appear on any cutback agenda any time soon.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Doitonce said:

This the same guy that they recently stripped a PROW of so as he could re-develop Port Soderick, by any chance ?  If so it seems odd that they reward a guy with public monies for barring public access to footpaths and the like!

7 hours ago, homarus said:

This the same guy that they recently stripped a PROW of so as he could re-develop Port Soderick, by any chance ?  If so it seems odd that they reward a guy with public monies for barring public access to footpaths and the like!

Yes, one and the same.  Good luck with enjoying any freedom down there in future btw...

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It all went wrong in the 50s here...when they let farmer politicians here put the 'cnut' in countryside.

And they're still doing it. Daily.

Farmers are basically getting a large portion if what we need to save.

If I can rely on my memory (!) we've only had 7 different individuals as Chief Minister (Gelling twice)...three of them (43%), including the current joker, were/are farmers. Let's not be surprised that they're at the front of the gravy queue.

• Like 5