Countryside Care Scheme

RonnieD

Good post Non-Believer.

I watched this youtube about Year of our Island 2018. It's worth watching the first few minutes. I lost count how many times the Chief Minister used the word 'countryside'. Then I gave up. I think all he is trying to do is promote the cash given to landowners to supposedly look after out countryside. How much of this beautiful 'countryside', including that once in the Quayle estate, has gone to the builders.

It looks like Mr Quayle wants his cake and wants to eat it too

. With lots of icing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Craig King said:

I'm into environmental issues. Reading the reply to MHK Jason Moorhouse's question at the last Tynbwald, which is here click, Q23. the scheme was only introduced in 2009. It was to be for 10 years. Phil Gawne, the farmers' friend,  was the Minister at the time. He kind of introduced the scheme in a heart-string tugging begging sort of way through the back door. Geoffrey Boot, Minister said in his answer "...the Department’s intention to review the policy around farm support before the 2019 scheme year." I'm not sure what he means by "the 2019 scheme year". the sentence doesn't make sense and this is likely to be intentional.  I think it was meant to say ".....the 2019 end of scheme year". To describe it thus would have let the cat out of the bag, but you can better your bottom dollar it won't be ended.

The heart strings have been tugged on with words like green, fieds, sustainability, glens, self-sufficiency etc. but it seems an awful lot of money to pump into an annual grant scheme. Are we sure these huge handouts to already rich people can be justified. Are they necessary or desirable?

I would expect the new Health Minister to put such a question, but as one of the Council of Ministers he is bound by collective responsibility ie keep schtum mate.. Maybe Kate Beecroft can start pushing questions like this, now she has been ejected from the inner circle by Chief Minister Howard Quayle?

In the new reality which we find ourselves there is only one supportable argument for giving free money out to farmers, and that is sustainable and affordable food production ! All the other enterprises and being paid to look after your own property are quite frankly the landowners responsibility. Armageddon will not occur because nature is allowed to encroach on her own land ! We have a raft of government employees to look after the interface between the land and roads the rest is up to the owner imo.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, asitis said:

In the new reality which we find ourselves there is only one supportable argument for giving free money out to farmers, and that is sustainable and affordable food production ! All the other enterprises and being paid to look after your own property are quite frankly the landowners responsibility. Armageddon will not occur because nature is allowed to encroach on her own land ! We have a raft of government employees to look after the interface between the land and roads the rest is up to the owner imo.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/01/21/uncertainty-future-farming-subsidies-hits-land-values/

I wonder if this has got them all thinking! the price of farmland just went down for a change,give the farmers NO MORE.

• Like 3

Agricultural subsidies have been around since the early 1960s. Isle of Man landowners stood in their green wellies on their own two feet. Then in early 2009 Phil Gawne as Minister for Agriculture  managed to introduce to Tynwald the Countryside Care Scheme. It was done in a backdoor sort of way and no one seemed to be asking for this other than Mr Gawne (on behalf of....?). I'll give him his due, it was done with skill and in a sleight sort of way. He got all Tynwald on his side and managed to pull all the right heartstrings. He only much later spoke about money, but no one was going to jump the wonderful Manx countryside ship now, not over a few million.

::multiple_ pound_sign_facey::

Edited by Craig King
  • Haha 2