The Future Of Core Air Links To The Island

madmanxpilot

Why can't the likes of Flybe get their Belfast plane to do a stop over at Ronaldsway in the morning?

I thought the whole reason behind this is that Flybe are pulling out of LGW altogether due to on going cost, and basing themselves at cheaper airports? Hence the reason for sell in ALL the slots.

They were holding their own on the Isle Of Man to Gatwick service, they were making enough profit to justify keeping the expensive assets of the slots, even with the high fees charged by Gatwick. This changed with the arrival of Easyjet on many of the routes Flybe ran in and out of Gatwick. Because Flybe are charged the same to land at Gatwick as Easyjet, despite using 78 seat planes rather than 156 seats like Easyjet, Flybe had to generate twice as much from each passenger to cover those fees, meaning they couldn't compete on fares. So, yes, Gatwick's pricing policy was critical.

However, the Isle of Man had the opportunity to ensure that it kept a frequent service - which is what all the whoo-haa seems to be about now. It could have licensed the route to Flybe, preventing Easyjet from coming on it unless they offered the same level of frequency. Passengers would have had to pay slightly higher fares to cover Gatwick's fees, or the government could have subsidised it by not charging APD on that route. It could even have bought the slots Flybe were selling and come to some arrangement with them about continuing the service, or, even getting the likes of Aer Arran or Eastern Airways to run the route, having leased the slots to them for a specified period.

Why can't the likes of Flybe get their Belfast plane to do a stop over at Ronaldsway in the morning?

Because there will be no Flybe Belfast to Gatwick flight either next April, Flybe sold all their slots to Easyjet.

Fair enough. Ok then...Why can't the likes of Easyjet get their Belfast plane to do a stop over at Ronaldsway in the morning?

Well if you put Mr Easyjet's hat on for a minute, why the hell would you?

You want to sell all the tickets from Belfast if you can.

You want the aircraft to do all trips as fast as possible and move on to the next trip.

You don't want to fly empty Belfast - IOM

You can't call as an additional stop because you'd piss off all the Belfast - London passengers by doubling their journey time.

And.... You are running a business. It's a Europe wide operation, a plc, and you are accountable to your shareholders in tough times. Why would you go out of your way to help the Isle of Man?

• Like 4

Oh for feck sake, Albert, don't give Trumps Up Annie new ideas! She'll be calling a meeting about this now, and looking for funding tomorrow due to this method now being required under some fictitious rule she made up EU flight law airport seaport operations thingy directive, just like the runway bullshit, and the airport fence bullshit and the tower bullshit and the radar bullshit and the baggage facility bullshit and the...you get the idea...

• Like 2

However, the Isle of Man had the opportunity to ensure that it kept a frequent service - which is what all the whoo-haa seems to be about now. It could have licensed the route to Flybe, preventing Easyjet from coming on it unless they offered the same level of frequency. Passengers would have had to pay slightly higher fares to cover Gatwick's fees, or the government could have subsidised it by not charging APD on that route. It could even have bought the slots Flybe were selling and come to some arrangement with them about continuing the service, or, even getting the likes of Aer Arran or Eastern Airways to run the route, having leased the slots to them for a specified period.

That seems like such a simple and sensible idea. Is that why it was discounted by Our Leaders, or is it possible none of them ever thought of it, or realised its significance?.

Don't be surprised to see another announcement from FLYBE about Gatwick. All may not yet be in vain. I have a feeling in my water that whoever gets the best incentive (BA or BE) will be servicing red eye flights in the future.

There's no landing slots left at Gatwick. They've been snaffled by Easyjet.

It could even have bought the slots Flybe were selling and come to some arrangement with them about continuing the service, or, even getting the likes of Aer Arran or Eastern Airways to run the route, having leased the slots to them for a specified period.

Government can't buy slots. (Unless it bought an airline first.)

Don't be surprised to see another announcement from FLYBE about Gatwick. All may not yet be in vain. I have a feeling in my water that whoever gets the best incentive (BA or BE) will be servicing red eye flights in the future.

I have heard similar rumours myself, but will not be holding my breath

It could even have bought the slots Flybe were selling and come to some arrangement with them about continuing the service, or, even getting the likes of Aer Arran or Eastern Airways to run the route, having leased the slots to them for a specified period.

It could operate a ticket seller operation though and use the operating airline to obatain the slots.

Just think what all the money they have wasted at the airport could have bought us

Technically correct, but it could have paid Flybe to hold them on their behalf.

>

It could operate a ticket seller operation though and use the operating airline to obatain the slots.

Just think what all the money they have wasted at the airport could have bought us

Well not a day seemingly goes by without the issue being on the front of a newspaper or as a headline on manxradio so if they didn't realise the seriousness of this situation they must do now. Although Cretin's comments seem contrary to that thought.

Rumours? Not really as the former minister of fun has said he's hopeful of something more from BACF. Smart move not to hold your breath though.

Edited by madmanxpilot

>>>

Well not a day seemingly goes by without the issue being on the front of a newspaper or as a headline on manxradio so if they didn't realise the seriousness of this situation they must do now. Although Cretin's comments seem contrary to that thought.

That would involve admitting the government and departments policy all these years was wrong, never going to happen at least not until they are all retired on their platinum pensions

Edited by ellanvannin2010