The Future Of Core Air Links To The Island

madmanxpilot

Lxxx, on 15 Nov 2013 - 15:18, said:

MickyBlue, on 15 Nov 2013 - 15:13, said:

Nightmare. If this pans-out as described above, then that's at least 8 of my mates without a job. Their fallback plan was to commute from the Island to their new bases in the UK when they're due to work - but it seems like that's not an option if there are no transfers. So, presumably they'll need to up-sticks with their family's - kids changing schools and so on.

What a depressing start to the weekend! ermm.gif

Micky

Let's hope our A Team are already in discussions with another operator to come in and fill the void, also re-employ the 50-odd people (plus families) no longer paying tax and contributing to the island economy.

I think that is rather a pipe dream. There are very few players out there in the UK regional aviation market.

Very true. Although when government does it's regular SWOT analysis review this must have been up there as one which necessitated a Plan B and C as it affects business, tourism, health, local economy.....

Edited by Lxxx

Bell, Cretney and Reynolds have released a press release saying that this is tremendous new for the IoM as it will enable visitors and business travelers to get to the Island much earlier in the morning rather than having to rely on waiting for a return flight that originated in the IoM. They also welcome the opportunity that this brings to enable them to attract a multinational airline to the Island that will offer an increased range of destinations by jet. In the past such airlines it was difficult to attract such airlines due to the ground slots being used by Flybe.

Basically tebles all round (hic)

Utter incompetence !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No plan b or c and I was never convinced there was a plan A either !

You'd think maybe there might be tax arguments for maintaining a base here. Getting worse for Flybe, their major shareholder sold out this week and shares dropped like TJs IQ.

Nope, and anyway you need to make a profit first (as you know).

'Flybe is to close six of its UK airport bases as part of plans to make a further 500 redundancies.

The regional carrier is to shut its current bases at Aberdeen, Guernsey, Inverness, Isle of Man, Jersey and Newcastle, as part of its continuing restructuring plans to the UK operation.

Flybe is currently in consultation over the planned job cuts with unions such as Balpa, Unite and Prospect.

Saad Hammad, Flybe’s chief executive, said: “We are committed to connecting the UK's regions and we intend to continue flying to these airports after the base closures.

“I know that these proposals are creating great personal uncertainty but they are necessary to secure a long-term future for Flybe.

“I am grateful to the various union and staff representatives for the very constructive manner in which we have been able to commence the consultation process.”

Flybe has also announced the number of redundancies that it plans to make at each of its current 13 UK bases.'

Pain and suffering all round, it seems. I've read 52 going in Belfast, too.

From a purely clinical economic viewpoint, I'm surprised the axe didn't fall earlier. Flybe has suffered in many parts of the country, and here specifically, what it meated out to those long lost regional operators alluded to by Nellie.

From a purely humane viewpoint, commiserations and good luck to all those affected.

Plus ca change etc.......

Addendum - from the Belfast Herald:

:: Numbers earmarked for redundancies are: Aberdeen, 12; Belfast, 52; Birmingham, 49; Edinburgh, 49; Exeter, 116; Guernsey, 12; Glasgow, 37; Inverness, 35; Isle of Man, 49; Jersey, 35; Manchester, 13; Newcastle, 17; Southampton, 17.

Edited by Utah 01

Flybe Group PLC

("Flybe" or "the Group" or "the Company")

Update on consultation process

Further to the announcement on 11 November 2013, Flybe has commenced collective consultations with Balpa, Unite, Prospect and employee representatives in respect of the Company's proposal to make around 500 redundancies in the UK.

The consultations with the trades unions have been constructive and it has been agreed with the respective unions that, in order to assist the consultation process and to provide transparency across the business, the Company will publish details of the proposed base closures and proposed reductions in employee numbers that form part of the consultation process.

The proposals under consultation include the proposed base closures at Aberdeen, Guernsey, Inverness, Isle of Man, Jersey and Newcastle. Separately, details of the proposed redundancies at each base are set out in the table below.

Proposed Redundancies by Base

Aberdeen 12

Belfast city 52

Birmingham 49

Edinburgh 49

Exeter 116

Guernsey 12

Glasgow 37

Proposed Redundancies by Base

Inverness 35

Isle of Man 49

Jersey 35

Manchester 13

Newcastle 17

Southampton 17

Saad Hammad, Chief Executive, commented:

"We are committed to connecting the UK's regions and we intend to continue flying to these airports after the base closures.

"I know that these proposals are creating great personal uncertainty but they are necessary to secure a long-term future for Flybe and I am grateful to the various union and staff representatives for the very constructive manner in which we have been able to commence the consultation process. I hope that the detail of the proposed base closures and staff cuts will further assist that process."

15 November 2013

Edited by Tarne

So whilst there are no route changes as yet, as previously mentioned by other posters, it'll likely be Manchester based aircraft running Manchester to the Isle of Man, with maybe a Liverpool in there.

So where does this leave the island:

Birmingham could be replaced by someone if Flybe drop it, possibly Eastern, Citywing or Loganair.

Liverpool (if it goes) on a double daily EasyJet service. Possibly FlyBe too with the patient transfer contract.

Manchester on a 3 or 4 times a day Manchester based aircraft.

Bristol/Southampton/Luton cancelled.

BA bring back the Saab for LCY

Citywing increase frequency on Gloucester.

----

Not the end of the world to be honest. Really sucks for me, as handling will be cut back, but meh, I'll find another job.

Edited by Tarne

So whilst there are no route changes as yet, as previously mentioned by other posters, it'll likely be Manchester based aircraft running Manchester to the Isle of Man, with maybe a Liverpool in there.

So where does this leave the island:

Birmingham could be replaced by someone if Flybe drop it, possibly Eastern, Citywing or Loganair.

Liverpool (if it goes) on a double daily EasyJet service. Possibly FlyBe too with the patient transfer contract.

Manchester on a 3 or 4 times a day Manchester based aircraft.

Bristol/Southampton/Luton cancelled.

BA bring back the Saab for LCY

Citywing increase frequency on Gloucester.

----

Not the end of the world to be honest. Really sucks for me, as handling will be cut back, but meh, I'll find another job.

A right buggeration for anyone who needs to make a connection to the continent though, something I've had to do many times at the drop of a hat. One thing to consider - if FlyBe can't make a route pay what makes you think another airline can?

Just makes the Island a notch less attractive - unless you're the type who wants to keep all foreigners and higher-lifeforms off the rock.