Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
WilDDog

Why Do People Whinge.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...sp?story=642344

More than 200 motorbike racers have died here in the festival's 98-year history,

Rofl, can't they think of anything else to write about except the same old tiresome rant.

I was wondering how many people have died skiing and doing other sports they chose and loved to do over the last 98 years?

"Whilst they usually receive media attention, deaths due to participating in a snow sport are thankfully very rare indeed. The most complete data on fatalities comes from the USA. From the 1991/92 to the 2003/04 season inclusive, a total of 469 traumatic deaths have been recorded within the boundaries of ski resorts in the US. Deaths from any other cause (including heart attacks are not included in these figures). 58 of these deaths were snowboarders and 401 were skiers."

Makes the TT seem positively safe, doesn't it?

Really ?

The number seems somewhat smaller. ;)

I would guess that 'ascent' covers everything from a meander up the well-worn path to full on rock climbing.

mmmhh

The Google caches says 100,000:

Google Cache for web page

A 100,000 does seem a bit high (300 a day!). But 11 seems rather low.

It goes to show that you can't always trust this Internet thingie

But this site states 150,000 ascents a year (third paragraph).

Edinburgh Geological Society

Anyway, a digression this is...about time we was all back on thread with TT stuff

Edited by Jack from Laxey

My wife and all her family are Manx and all complain about the races. I know more 'locals' who complain than come-overs. This may be more to do with me knowing more local people than other, but not really sure.

My view on the whole TT 'keep or kill' debate is based solely on what it costs versus what it generates.

This year's budgeted expenditure for 'TT Races and Festival' is £1.75m add to that a proportion of the budget for the Special Events Unit (as 25%) that’s another £300k. What does the event generate for the Island? This I don't know nor have I found. There doesn't seem to be any stats available (I haven't looked too hard yet) that gives some idea of revenue generation. (For the Manx economy) Sure there will be intangible benefit (Island's profile, reputation etc) But I would be happier to see hard cash returns.

Any views or better still evidence of return?

As you state, there are intangible benefits.

The TT is a time looked forward to by an awful lot of residents. They have done for many years. It is in itself a Carnival.

To attempt to put the TT purely in terms of £.s.d is missing the point, although the only 'businesses' that seem to be disadvantaged are in the transient Finance Sector, due mainly to staff taking days off to have a good time.

And also because it is a devil of a job manoeuvring that Bankers Special, the 4 Wheel Drive during the traffic jams. And all those damned motobikes.

Life on the Isle of Man without the TT is, for most I am sure, unimaginable.

Thanks Jack.

Sounds like an emotional response from someone committed to the TT. At what point does emotion run out and hard cash kick in? What I am interseted in is how long and for how much should the TT be propped up for? My view is it should generate tangible revenue or its budget directed at something else that will. (Or is £2m small change so why care about a return on this investment?)

I don't want to enter the debate whole heartedly, however, if you want to bring up whether the cost of the TT is worthwhile then you have to consider a reasonable figure. The actual Budget may be in the region of £2m, but what about the associated costs?

Policing, medical, cleaning-up, investigating accidents, coroners courts etc, etc ,etc

In my old 'profession' I would expect to make about £3000 in overtime during the month in which TT fell. And reallistically this was earned in the space of 12 - 14 days.

IMO, it shouldn't even be a debate, as it clearly is of exchequor and social benefit to have the TT 'festival'.

We should have a criminals TT.

Pick those who have committed the most heinous acts and they have to ride round the TT as fast as they can until there is just one left and they go free.

Rofl, can't they think of anything else to write about except the same old tiresome rant.

Some papers trot out the same old stuff every year, you can almost set your watch by it

Sounds good, the TT with a "Running man/Mad Max" theme. See, that I'd watch.

To be honest what tends to spoil my enjoyment of TT fortnight is the 3hour journey home after a full days work. The Prom during the TT period is a bleedin nightmare… its bad enough on a normal weekday with the horse trams, double lane parking & the new road works etc. I’m sure if people got home at reasonable hour & in decent frame of mind they would freshen up & join the festivities. It’s not the bikes or bikers that spoil my TT it’s our own short sighted authorities. Once again it seems the powers that be can’t see beyond Douglas.

Wouldn't it be quicker to walk/cycle? I can't think of many places that take three hours to travel to without a motor. If you live in Ramsey/Andreas/Wherever, it would be easier to park your car before the prom and walk along it each way?

Sure, the roads closed are an inconvenience, but it's hardly a surprise each year when it is and you can plan around it.

Wouldn't it be quicker to walk/cycle? I can't think of many places that take three hours to travel to without a motor. If you live in Ramsey/Andreas/Wherever, it would be easier to park your car before the prom and walk along it each way?

Sure, the roads closed are an inconvenience, but it's hardly a surprise each year when it is and you can plan around it.

Well no Ans... Not really.. I pick 3 other people (one rather elderly) up on the way in to Douglas from Laxey & I finish at 5.30 where I pick 1 of them up & besides what if everyone parked at the end of Prom? I do understand this happens every year & we do get advance warning, which is precisely my point why can’t the authorities put a bit more thought into getting us out of the area in a quicker, safer & more organised manner. I mean how can you have a quick & efficient flow of traffic with the horse trams going?

Fair enough, at least you're doing your bit by filling your car up. Maybe they should have a crackdown on single drivers during the TT period, that would help?