Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gd0nfn

Free Wifi From Manx Telecom?

It's easy to fool others when only you knows what you're talking about.

Unless of course you can prove it with the largest man made explosions ever seen.

Hi we visited the iom in aug this year, we could not get free wifi at sea terminal. It said you had to pay £5.00 a day, when you tried to log on.

MT have just tweeted that the wifi's now on at:

77 Strand Street

Niabyl

Ticket Hall Douglas

Waterfall Glen Vine

Greens St Johns

Riley's Garden Centre (Is this eden park?)

Anyone tried it yet?

Tried Riley's Garden Centre; it works but big faff trying to enter the username and password as they are both generated by MT and imposible to remember; so it was a case of passing back and forth between the browser and my notes app. A messy task on an iphone.

I don't have the time to play around with strange passwords and usernames every time you drop in for a coffee.

Did exactly the same thing myself, got as far as the password and couldn't be arsed smile.png

Anyone else experiencing shite mobile data these days on MT, not talking out of the way places either.

Have used the free wifi in Costa a couple of times. Phone remembers settings, so no need to remember password after setting up for the first time. Also streamed Sky TV on the phone to see what the connection was like ,no problem. Even though I'm on sure mobile. Just used my home phone Manx telecom details to sign up.

Free wifi at Coffee Exchange on Athol Street. We declined the MT upgrade on the basis it would only then work for MT customers, we think it's fairer and better for our business to make it free for all, albeit with a slightly slower connection.

• Like 3

There will be free 24-hour access to the network for the first six months and after this period there will be free access for 30 minutes per day per handset. Access to some sites, including Glasgow City Council's website will remain free permanently.

So it's like a free trial, then goes to a subscription model after six months.

Wouldn't surprise me if the 30 mins is supported by interstitial ads of some description too.

So basically, it's not as good as the headline tries to tell you.

It would be a piece of piss for the whole Island to offer free wifi for everyone, all the time. The kind of thing a progressive, forward thinking government could do which would benefit all the people.You could start with one town at a time.

It will never happen, of course, because the UK would have to do it first so that we could copy it.